Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Moyes said after the game that the fans know that the club are going through a big transition but that's no excuse , we won't he league last year and to not even get into the top 4 this year is not good enough and inexcusable , despite this I blame Fergie for alot of the current problems , we have been crying out for quality midfield reenforcements for years , it's ok saying give moyes time but what if we lose v villa and the next game after that , the rot will have to stop some where , rio and vidic are winding down , Rvp is 31 Rooneys situation is undecided , all our wingers aren't performing and kagawa is being messed around . Fergie said the game was changing and he is right , we needed a coach not a manager , the truth be told Everton have a better person in charge than they did last year

rvp is 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Moyes demeanor in that post match interview was like a wounded puppy, complete opposite of Ferguson. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What he needs to do though is give us something to hold onto. I could handle finishing in 9th or 10th if it was all part of a bigger picture. If Moyes came out and put half the squad up for sale and said that he intended to rebuild the team around all the kids at the club, if he made some move that suggested he had the long term in mind, then I could handle whatever happens next.

I can't believe I'm reading this.

If we finished 9th or 10th in the league we wouldn't hold on to the good players we have and we would have no chance of signing good players to replace them or rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

But I still don't think it would be the right decision to sack him. We are not getting anybody better at this stage, so he has more time.

If it's been decided at board room level that he's not the man for the job after all, the only sensible option is to get rid of him before the window opens. IMO that would be ridiculous, all managers need at least a couple of seasons, never mind one coming in after Ferguson, but there's no point wasting another window if they're already thinking they'll be getting rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Are we the only team in the top 10 still playing 4-4-2?

Possibly but then again it's hard enough to find two cm options for the starting line up never mind 3. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Are we the only team in the top 10 still playing 4-4-2?

City are too.... thing is, they have the midfielders to pull it off.

BloodBath wrote: »
    If we finished 9th or 10th in the league we wouldn't hold on to the good players we have and we would have no chance of signing good players to replace them or rebuild.

If United finished 10th this season I wouldn't imagine there'd be an exodus to be honest. The guys there are either older and part of the furniture, or younger and been brought through or had faith shown in them by the club. The outs following a 10th place finish would be the same as the outs after a 3rd place finish IMO, as a neutral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Pro. F wrote: »
    You're not agreeing, you're saying the opposite to me.

What????

You said the whole team was poor. I agreed with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

City are too.... thing is, they have the midfielders to pull it off.

I think its time to bin it.

Other teams are just passing their way through the middle,no protection either for the defence,time to re think the formation.

If that fails just play the CL theme tune before PL games :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

What was Rio ferdinands tweets or comments yesterday about that some are refering to?
    Didnt see them.

He said Moyes doesn't name the team until just before kick off, which he found was making it difficult for him to prepare properly for games.

Hence it looks to me like the whole squad or a selected group are turning up on match day ready to play, with some ending up in the stands wearing their training gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

COYVB wrote: »
    If United finished 10th this season I wouldn't imagine there'd be an exodus to be honest. The guys there are either older and part of the furniture, or younger and been brought through or had faith shown in them by the club. The outs following a 10th place finish would be the same as the outs after a 3rd place finish IMO, as a neutral

Maybe but that's all conjecture. Would you be willing to take that risk with your team? A third place finish would be totally acceptable as long as there is rebuilding and improvements being made.

There is no excuse and no confidence to be had in a manager who takes a strengthened league winning team to 10th the following season.

Zico wrote: »
    Well then either you think the club suit is provided by JD sports or Fellaini and Kagawa have very poor dress sense and possibly don't spend much on clothes for themselves.

What??

When you report for games when your not in the match day squad you wear your track suit or suit with the United crest on the breast pocket. Fellani wasn't in the squad so had to watch the match from the stands. I presume himself and Kagawa were cold and he put the jackets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

If he isn't naming the team how the hell are they supposed to prepare in training for the opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sadly, don't think the board will get rid of him. Can't see Ferguson wanting to admit he made a mistake with it, and don't think the Glazers will get involved after giving him such a long term contract. Hopefully, it doesn't get post-Busby bad and we end up relegated in a few years after Rooney scores for City against us.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Maybe but that's all conjecture. Would you be willing to take that risk with your team? A third place finish would be totally acceptable as long as there is rebuilding and improvements being made.

There is no excuse and no confidence to be had in a manager who takes a strengthened league winning team to 10th the following season.

I think there can be an excuse, if it's part of a major rebuild, but there's nothing suggesting that's the case. I think what's happening here is that the overperforming united of the last few years under ferguson (let's be honest, last year's united was the worst one, player for player, that has won the league in the last 15 years) has been replaced with an underperforming united under moyes.

ferguson was the best in the business, so he was definitely the kind of manager who could get a team that should be 3/4th to win the league regularly, whereas moyes isn't, so taking that 3/4th place team to 8/9th isn't wholly unexpected. is it something that could improve give time? possibly, but it depends on his work in the transfer market, which has been poor so far

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Can't see Ferguson wanting to admit he made a mistake with it,

Ferguson recommended Villa hire Alex McLeish, for record. He's not a very good judge of managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Danye wrote: »
    What????

You said the whole team was poor. I agreed with you!

So you agree that Cleverley was no worse than the rest of the team today? Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Today was a load of cock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bollocks was he. To pick him out as being anything other than the same level as the other United players today is nonsense.

I watched him attentively today.

Looked for it a lot from the backline. Played some nice long passes and even got stuck in once or twice... More than his previous performance which doesn't say much though.

Still not good enough... But Evra's head is elsewhere, Jones was awful, Nani was poor. Chico and RVP tried but were off the ball and unfit respectively. Evans wasn't great. Adnan was poor second half.

There was a lot worse on display, and thats alarming because Clev was average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Ferguson recommended Villa hire Alex McLeish, for record. He's not a very good judge of managers.

Is it a Scottish thing with Ferguson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Do you see why this line of argument is flawed?

Are you this annoying and awkward when your not hiding behind a keyboard?

You said the whole team was poor, which they were but Cleverly was the poorest performer yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He was world class! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Is it a Scottish thing with Ferguson?

Ferguson and McLeish are mates. Ferguson was always going to help him out, given he pretty much forced him to stay at aberdeen and couldn't bring him down to united after he left, iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

As a manager of another pl team, I'd do the same lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You said the whole team was poor, which they were but Cleverly was the poorest performer yet again.

I think ProF is saying the team was poor and Cleverley wasn't the poorest of the lot.

I agree. How anyone can single him out especially after the way Nani, Jones, Evra and even RVP (not fit I know) played. Adnan second half was poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In a lovely fantasy world where Moyes is kicked out the door in the morning, who would you like to take over? Simeone seems to be a popular choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Evra is a disgrace. When he loses the ball he doesn't care. Doesn't want to defend. Look at the goal. How many times have we seen him just stop chasing once his man get beyond him. In any other profession, the person would get sacked for not giving a ****. Plus, you can't expect to win a game with Zaha and Anderson on the field.

J. Marston wrote: »
    In a lovely fantasy world where Moyes is kicked out the door in the morning, who would you like to take over? Simeone seems to be a popular choice.

In many ways were replacing like with like.

What has Simeone done as a manager? What has he won?

We need a proven manager who has won major honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

The copa del rey is a major honour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Moyes was the poorest of the lot followed by RVP. I win :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jose was probably the ideal choice to take over from SAF.Has won everything and would have the temperament to not be overwhelmed by the job.Get 2 or 3 season from him and then look to someone like Simeone or Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Klopp would be nice, but lets give him the season to see how his changes pan out.

If it looks like we are making progress coming to the end of the season then that's good enough for me. Change is never easy and he seems to be changing a lot. Tactically he has been a mixed bag, though more bad then good I feel.

Hopefully he pulls it together and proves all of us wrong, but he should not get more then 18 months, 2 years tops of this kind of muck.

I have faith, albeit a very small amount, that he will turn out to be a good appointment, just not sure he can keep the ship on course during the early stormy waters

Are you this annoying and awkward when your not hiding behind a keyboard?

lol

I said that Cleverley was no worse than any other United player. You are saying that Cleverley was worse than every other United player. Those two things are obviously in contradiction to each other so we obviously are not in agreement. You insisting that we are in agreement is very stupid and funny. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

kryogen wrote: »
    Today was a load of cock

How has that word got passed the censor?! I'm outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Europa league, Copa Del Rey and UEFA super cup in 1 and half seasons.

Not at all like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Moyes deserves time.

As long as Man Utd. are not relegated and I know they won't be.

Moyes deserves another season.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's won a Copa Del Rey, a Europa League and had about 5 months of challenging Barca for the La Liga title and staying ahead of Real Madrid.

That impresses more than promotion from League 2 and 10 years of mediocrity with Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GSPfan wrote: »
    How has that word got passed the censor?! I'm outraged.

Bollix gets a free pass too.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Moyes deserves time.

As long as Man Utd. are not relegated and I know they won't be.

Moyes deserves another season.

Ah here. Ha. Anything less than Champions League is a disgrace. Finishing a potential 17th in the table would see him euthanised, not just sacked. Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

kryogen wrote: »
    Klopp would be nice, but lets give him the season to see how his changes pan out.

If it looks like we are making progress coming to the end of the season then that's good enough for me. Change is never easy and he seems to be changing a lot. Tactically he has been a mixed bag, though more bad then good I feel.

Hopefully he pulls it together and proves all of us wrong, but he should not get more then 18 months, 2 years tops of this kind of muck.

I have faith, albeit a very small amount, that he will turn out to be a good appointment, just not sure he can keep the ship on course during the early stormy waters

I'd love for the right manager to get 2 years to really put his stamp on the team, hopefully Moyes is the right man but that is up for major question right now. The longer this goes on the more difficult it will be to get the top class players in. Can you honestly see Fabregas or Gundogan wanting to play in the Europa league.

Note: Not saying we ever had a chance of getting Fabregas, just an example.

adox wrote: »
    Bollix gets a free pass too.

I demand this smut be asterixed right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Europa League and UEFA Super Cup.

Klopp and Simeone are two of the best young managers around and would love for either to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Jesus, people here are becoming the very thing they deride in other clubs - quick-fix merchants. Stay calm, ride it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

He's won a Copa Del Rey, a Europa League and had about 5 months of challenging Barca for the La Liga title and staying ahead of Real Madrid.

That impresses more than promotion from League 2 and 10 years of mediocrity with Everton.

What he did at Everton was above medicore imo.

Still though, Utd manager should be a gig for a manager that has cups and accolades to his name

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I demand this smut be asterixed right now.

The worst thing about those boards swear filter is ***** ***** ********

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

This is like Ferguson took a sh1t in a toilet and locked Moyes in after him and now everyone thinks it's his sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Even though he's our knight in shining armour who will come in and miraculously transform us into world beaters, Klopp isn't having such a great day at the office either.

There's no one really available thats an obvious choice to take over from Moyes if they wanted rid now.
    I personally would like Pocchetino but he is as unproven as Moyes so you're gambling either way.
    Would anyone be interested in Laudrup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

Mourhino should have gotten the job,what a big mistake appointing moyes.

And we wouldn't be mid table now if Jose was in charge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement