Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

true, but i recall several posters on here and fans in general, saying this was a mistake at the time. call it common sense really.

It might not be a mistake if Moyes lasts at least the length of his contract, having said that lets see if he can last beyond xmas first:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Berba you sexy man

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Berba you sexy man

About time he pulled his weight this season tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

DM-ICE wrote: »

Outside of the players performance level, Moyes said after yesterday's game that United need to pass better, make more chances and take more chances. He is right, now he needs to prove he can do something about it.

The problem is I've heard him say this on numerous occasions and yet we're still no closer to seeing it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

rarnes1 wrote: »
    About time he pulled his weight this season tbf

The magic of Rene Meulensteen.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Quality.

pen.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The very definition of cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rene for manager :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

His pass that won the penalty was magic too

Lennonist wrote: »
    I wonder what age a lot of the United fans are on this site? A lot of them don't seem to have memory of Ferguson's inauspicious start at United where he could easily have been sacked. They also don't seem to remember more recent events like Ferguson spending 28 million on Juan Veron back in 2001 who flopped.

I think Ferguson's continuing and obvious presence at United is undermining Moyes, they shouldn't have given Moyes the job if they weren't going to back him with funds and give him complete control. Ferguson chose him for the job so I'm sure he wants him to succeed, the first thing he can do to help him is to make himself less conspicuous around the place. If Man U back Moyes properly and give him a couple of seasons I'd say he'll eventually do well them. If they sack him prematurely, another club will get a good manager and Man U will be back to square one.

Yes but it was a different era and the club was in a different position that it is now. We're last years champions. When Fergie took over we hadn't won a league in years. Also Fergie was a proven winner and from what I've been told you could see the progress the club was making on and off the pitch in the first couple of years despite not winning anything.

Yeah Veron flopped but the main thing was we were still successful then.

They did back him with funds.

What's the definition of backing Moyes properly? Throw money at him hoping he'll attract the right players and achieve things that he's yet to achieve in his 10+ years of management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Danye wrote: »
    Yes but it was a different era and the club was in a different position that it is now. We're last years champions. When Fergie took over we hadn't won a league in years. Also Fergie was a proven winner and from what I've been told you could see the progress the club was making on and off the pitch in the first couple of years despite not winning anything.

Yeah Veron flopped but the main thing was we were still successful then.

They did back him with funds.

What's the definition of backing Moyes properly? Throw money at him hoping he'll attract the right players and achieve things that he's yet to achieve in his 10+ years of management?

Back him properly would be give him two to three seasons at least and an opportunity to build his own team. That will take money and time. He could still fail of course, time will tell, but I'd say he'll be given plenty of time.

Moyes is a Ferguson appointment, he'll be given time because it will be an indictment of Ferguson's judgement if he fails. I'd imagine if Moyes fails, they wont be asking Ferguson for his recommendation next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Moyes spent 11 years trying to get Everton above Man United ......and now at last he's finally achieved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hitchens wrote: »
    Moyes spent 11 years trying to get Everton above Man United ......and now at last he's finally achieved it.

**** me you're on a roll today.

How original.

You're so funny and imaginative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

**** me you're on a troll today.

fyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's like you are in a timewarp where you are hearing the jokes 6 weeks after everyone else.

Back him properly would be give him two to three seasons at least and an opportunity to build his own team. That will take money and time. He could still fail of course, time will tell, but I'd say he'll be given plenty of time.

Moyes is a Ferguson appointment, he'll be given time because it will be an indictment of Ferguson's judgement if he fails. I'd imagine if Moyes fails, they wont be asking Ferguson for his recommendation next time.

Can we afford to back him for 2 or 3 seasons?

As I said yesterday, nobody is bigger than the club, even Fergie. If it wasn't working out the board wouldn't care who recommend Moyes, he'll be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's like you are in a timewarp where you are hearing the jokes 6 weeks after everyone else.

quantum leap

Think you might be in one too!

• Advertisement

Watching Verona - Atalanta atm, and Verona have a midfielder, Jorginho, who looks quite good. Had heard about him before and he's been linked with Milan, Arsenal, Liverpool and he's quite good. Similar in style to Pirlo where he plays in front of the defence and spreads the ball about, always looking to get on the ball and make a pass, and works very hard at closing down players.

Probably wouldn't cost too much either since it's Verona, he plays for Italy but he's Brazilian. Reckon he'd need some time to adapt, but reckon having Rafael around would help him. Think he'd be a pretty good replacement for Carrick, and a type of player we need as without Carrick, we have no one coming to the defence to get the ball and link up to the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

From reading down along it seems a lot of people have given up on Fellaini already and are using this as another stick to beat Moyes with, especially when arguing against Moyes in the January window.

Its a very select group of players who don't take time settle at a new club such as RVP, Ronaldo, Bale or Ozil. Plenty of our own standout players over the years have been very slow to get going. Hell, the guy we all wanted, Fabregas took time to settle back in at Barcelona.

I've full faith he will be a top player for us. He's had an awkward injury too for a guy who plays a physical game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For what it's worth, as much as I want Moyes gone, I've not got a fraction of the problem with that buy in terms of Fellaini himself. If Fergie had made the same move, I'd have been thrilled. Granted, if you believe the reports, there's criticisms to be made about transfer fees, but that's not his fault. And I think he was always going to be a player who tried to be a donkey in the middle of the field, as opposed to a massive creative force.

The problem is, for me, that he needs someone creative beside him and we don't have that at United right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If Man U back Moyes properly and give him a couple of seasons I'd say he'll eventually do well them.

You are joking right?

It's not a cornershop he's been asked to manage it's the biggest sporting team on the planet. He'll only get til the end of the season because Fergie personally backed him. He won't be in charge next season if Utd miss out on the Champions League and that's just the reality of the job he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im not trying to wind ye up but I couldn't believe ye were only a goal down and old trafford was empty clearly zero confidence in the team and manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The worst thing about the Moyes era for me is the quality of the p1sstakes. seeyou.. had 20 years to come up with some good stuff and we are getting repeats already. That ones 2 months old already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rob316 wrote: »
    Im not trying to wind ye up but I couldn't believe ye were only a goal down and old trafford was empty clearly zero confidence in the team and manager.

Reminded me of the Emirates,sad to see the stands empty with nearly 10 mins to go.

titan18 wrote: »
    Watching Verona - Atalanta atm, and Verona have a midfielder, Jorginho, who looks quite good. Had heard about him before and he's been linked with Milan, Arsenal, Liverpool and he's quite good. Similar in style to Pirlo where he plays in front of the defence and spreads the ball about, always looking to get on the ball and make a pass, and works very hard at closing down players.

Probably wouldn't cost too much either since it's Verona, he plays for Italy but he's Brazilian. Reckon he'd need some time to adapt, but reckon having Rafael around would help him. Think he'd be a pretty good replacement for Carrick, and a type of player we need as without Carrick, we have no one coming to the defence to get the ball and link up to the attack.

Just scored a penalty. Seems to be a good penalty taker, was his 5th goal from penalties this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    Its a very select group of players who don't take time settle at a new club

Thats rubbish to be honest. Players move between clubs in the Premier league every single transfer window, very rarely do you then hear the "taking time to settle" excuse. Gareth Barry moved to Everton in the summer, did he need time to settle? What about fellow Belgian Romelu Lukaku, did he need time to settle?

If you don't speak English, and you are coming from a completely different league and culture, then yes, time to settle is a valid excuse. But Felliani was in England playing in the premier league for over 5 years. Not only that, but his new manager was actually his old manager, a man that he knew well and knew what was expected from.

Felliani doesn't need time to settle. He has just been ****e.

Man United vs Swansea in the FA Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thats rubbish to be honest. Players move between clubs in the Premier league every single transfer window, very rarely do you then hear the "taking time to settle" excuse. Gareth Barry moved to Everton in the summer, did he need time to settle? What about fellow Belgian Romelu Lukaku, did he need time to settle?

If you don't speak English, and you are coming from a completely different league and culture, then yes, time to settle is a valid excuse. But Felliani was in England playing in the premier league for over 5 years. Not only that, but his new manager was actually his old manager, a man that he knew well and knew what was expected from.

Fellaini even lived in Manchester before he signed for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If Moyes can't put a string of results together over this busy December early January period he is going to be under massive pressure to buy in the window which will make things even more difficult for him.

A few more bad results which looks more likely than positive results the way we are playing right now and Moyes will be under bigger pressure than the summer to get MF's in . He will have to buy players to keep the fans on his side and that will lead to the selling club having the upper hand.

I'm not convinced that Herrera is good enough and Madrid are rumored to have a deal in place for Gundogan. Who else is realistically left? Pjanic maybe. This thread will be an interesting place in January. Never have we been in a situation like this under Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We have an easy run of games now.....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I didn't say he wasn't poor so far, I said I wouldn't be giving up on him like some have already.

Do you think this is as good as he is gonna be for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Everton outplaying Arsenal at the emirates, that wouldnt happen if Moyes was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wanyama, Jesus. The two posters who mentioned him never said a word about him in the summer and now that he's in the high flying Southampton team Moyes is wrong to not have bought him. In that case what an eejit Fergie is for not plucking little Messi from the streets of Rosario. Then if Wanyama had been signed and didn't work out people would be giving out that he didn't go for a better known player. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't springs to mind.

Strootman. Didn't we send scouts to watch him a few times? Now I find it very hard to believe that these scouts reported back that we should sign him and the club just didn't bother. A more likely scenario in my mind is that the scouts didn't like him, how wrong they were, and so the club didn't even make an offer. Again that's not Moyes' fault at all, the people employed by the club to find talent are at fault in this scenario.

I just don't think it's right to look back at the decisions Moyes made in the summer about the midfield and bash him knowing what we know now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The midfield that helped win the league last could have been brilliant this season and Fellaini being added could have strengthened it further, we could have been top of the league. But we all know now that it turned out for the worse. The majority of fans thought at the time that the midfield would keep us in the top 4, and Moyes is human like the rest of us and doesn't possess a magic crystal ball either.

We all know now that it's not working out, so Moyes needs to go big for a player in January to fix it. I think a good midfield signing and we're back in the race. Without any signings I can't see us finishing in the top 4. If that is the case well then Moyes should definitely go at the end of the season.

Wanyama, Jesus. The two posters who mentioned him never said a word about him in the summer and now that he's in the high flying Southampton team Moyes is wrong to not have bought him.

I'm glad you remember every word that every poster says.

Wanyama came to mind for me cause he was linked with United for what seemed like ages, and was a good example of a midfielder who, while not world class, would have been a realistic target that would have improved our midfield. I wasn't saying "Jesus, Moyes is useless for not signing him". I was asked what I would have done differently during the window and gave an example of a player who would have fallen in my "More realistic targets" answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Watching Arsenal v Everton really drives home how bad United are to watch. Both these teams are going about their business in an organised deliberate manner. Its a bit depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Martin Nielsen @MartinNielsenx
    @RafaelH117 Moldes chairman went out and said Ole had asked for time to think about his future, and he's been given until christmas. (..)

Please Jesus, Allah, Buddha, any of ye lads. Make this happen, he can't be worse than Moyes.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Please Jesus, Allah, Buddha, any of ye lads. Make this happen, he can't be worse than Moyes.

Honestly dont see the point of replacing one manager with little time at the top level with another manager of even less experience.

Only way I'd way Ole right now is if the plan was to make him Interm Manager till the summer, and the United board say the plan is to spend 6 months seeking out the right manager.

Lol, Ole?

Really?

You'd prefer Ole?

lol

I'd quite like Ole as assistant manager with someone more experienced as manager like Hiddink or Heynckes in for this season and next, before handing over to Ole. Might work out with having someone in to provide stability and a firm hand now, and someone young who knows the club to take over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

On the whole midfielder discussion....

I was delighted when Utd signed Fellaini. It shows that Moyes wants to improve our centre mid options, something which Fergie either was unwilling or incapable of doing.

Whether you rate Fellaini or not, I think we all can agree that he is massively off form and is capable of much better than he has shown so far.

I would be more worried about Fellaini's form if the team were playing well and only he was struggling, but that's not the case. Almost every player around Fellaini is playing very poorly and they have been Manchester United players for a lot longer. In fact the only players in the team playing close to their potential are Rooney, DDG and Januzaj.

As usual, we have been hit badly with injuries to key players at the worst times. The injury to Michael Carrick is the single worst thing that could have happened to us and now we're seeing just how embarrassingly weak we really are in the centre.

Moyes tactics have been poor and his persistence with certain players has been frustrating. He has picked a different starting 11 in every premier league match so far. It would appear he doesn't know who is best starting 11 are. Like Fellaini, he has had a poor start to his Man Utd career.

I want Moyes to be given a chance but at the same time we have to be realistic. IMO the bottom line is this - If Moyes cannot get this team into the top 4 with the resources at his disposal then the board seriously need to consider replacing him. We're not expecting the man to win the bloody league straight off the bat but there has to be a minimum level of achievement.

Right now Manchester United is in a state of flux. Fergie leaving has had an even bigger affect on the players than we all expected. If we can get a run of a couple of wins together then the team morale will pick up and hopefully Moyes will start to get his shít together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Does Jupp Heynckes even speak English...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Barkley again

• Advertisement

ician wrote: »
    Does Jupp Heynckes even speak English...

Probably not, would still take him over Moyes though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if the "give him time" argument is actually making things worse. Maybe there was & still is a complacency that we will only sign the right players - even if it takes years.

I would love to know the performance criteria part of Moyes's contract.

You would never employ a manager in business & say take your time, don't worry about the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just don't think it's right to look back at the decisions Moyes made in the summer about the midfield and bash him knowing what we know now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The midfield that helped win the league last could have been brilliant this season and Fellaini being added could have strengthened it further, we could have been top of the league. But we all know now that it turned out for the worse. The majority of fans thought at the time that the midfield would keep us in the top 4, and Moyes is human like the rest of us and doesn't possess a magic crystal ball either.

You must be having a fcuking laugh. How can you sit there and say it's only hindsight that makes people slate our midfield?

There isn't a single person on this planet that believed our current midfield could have been brilliant this season, did you somehow miss the summer transfer window where many of us were very vocal in worrying about the state of our midfield?

Moyes didn't need a crystal ball, he just needed two eyes and a functioning brain to know that the midfield wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Wanyama, Jesus. The two posters who mentioned him never said a word about him in the summer and now that he's in the high flying Southampton team Moyes is wrong to not have bought him. In that case what an eejit Fergie is for not plucking little Messi from the streets of Rosario. Then if Wanyama had been signed and didn't work out people would be giving out that he didn't go for a better known player. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't springs to mind.

Strootman. Didn't we send scouts to watch him a few times? Now I find it very hard to believe that these scouts reported back that we should sign him and the club just didn't bother. A more likely scenario in my mind is that the scouts didn't like him, how wrong they were, and so the club didn't even make an offer. Again that's not Moyes' fault at all, the people employed by the club to find talent are at fault in this scenario.

We all know now that it's not working out, so Moyes needs to go big for a player in January to fix it. I think a good midfield signing and we're back in the race. Without any signings I can't see us finishing in the top 4. If that is the case well then Moyes should definitely go at the end of the season.

While signings that son't work or attempted signings that don't materialise may be due to a number of factors the manager takes the brunt of the criticism (rightly or wrongly).

In the same way as the manager is the one that will be booed if things go to pot with the people who appointed him remaining largely blame free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jaykay74 wrote: »
    No, can't see the image but I believe you!

Very strange

Click on the link hopefully that will bring it up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement