Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

zerks wrote: »
    Match thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87935732#post87935732

I didn't do the last one 'cos a few said I was jinxing the team,that put that argument to rest.

I say if we don't win by 3-0 we ban zerks for life. Who's with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RasTa wrote: »
    The stats don't lie! You've started every match thread bar Newcastle I think, although I wonder why it's always the same person

I skipped a couple and we dropped points there also,ye can't blame me for the team playing shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I skipped a couple and we dropped points there also,ye can't blame me for the team playing shite.

It's your fault we're in this mess, just accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's your fault we're in this mess, just accept it.

I admit it.I'm David Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I admit it.I'm David Moyes.

well then not all the blame goes on your shoulders. the players and fergie let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I say if we don't win by 3-0 we ban zerks for life. Who's with me?
    Can we burn him at the stake just in case? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Ah cmon that's very harsh. I think Moyes has been very unlucky, Fellaini is not playing as well as he can, he needs to be given time just like Moyes, but with Carrick out injured people are complaining because our 27.5m signing is not showing his ability as a player. Van persie's form is very different to last year because of injuries another thing Moyes cannot do anything about. The last minute goals at Southampton, Cardiff. The chances we missed v Everton last wednesday before Oviedo scored. Ferguson was smart leaving at the end of last season, he knew it would take another 2/3 years to build a championship winning side, City and Chelsea were never going to be as bad as last year when United walked to the title with a very average side. That was never going to happen this season with Mourinho returning and Pellegrini getting the best of Aguero.
    Give Moyes another year, where he can get rid of Anderson, Young, Evra and sign the player he thinks will benefit the side. People have to realise in January he won't be able to sign Baines/Barkley/Reus/Gundogen, there's no way Everton or Dortmund will sell in the middle of the season
    yes he can
    not overtrain like he did in the summer

MD1990 wrote: »
    yes he can
    not overtrain like he did in the summer

how was the summer training camp? did you get match fit?

magnumbud wrote: »
    how was the summer training camp? did you get match fit?
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/25/moyes-van-persie-overtrained-verheijen-injury

there ya go smartarse
    Moyes teams always start every season slow & get injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

without a change of tactics/formation it would be very difficult to get on.

If we continue to play 442, then the 2 central midfielders need to be able to stick the foot in and do the defensive work, covering for the strikers/wingers/full backs. I can't think of many creative players that can play that central role in a 442. Best you will be get are box to box players or deep lying players like Carrick.

Aye, can't see us moving from a 4-4-2 when we have both RVP and Rooney. At best, it's Rooney in behind RVP. When I see the likes of Koke being mentioned to play in CM for us, I often wonder have people actually seen him play. Good player, but he's not really a CM in a 4-4-2.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/25/moyes-van-persie-overtrained-verheijen-injury

there ya go smartarse
    Moyes teams always start every season slow & get injuries

wow Raymond Verheijen said it. then it must be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi lads,

With the imminent window coming up and several players being mentioned and release clause values being bandied about for some of them, surely we should have some strategy in place to get some players in for january or failing that have deals in place for the summer.

I'm not saying we go for any or all of these or that the players involved want to come but might get a little bit of debate going

The players being mentioned are
    1) Sneijder - £13m read - creative player, has played at the top level in Europe and can score and create goals, not buying potential here, he's the finished article, would bring an experienced and wise head into the squad and would vastly improve the team
    2) Koke - £/€16m - potential for a great player. Big Dave could have a word. i don't know enough on himt o say yay or nay
    3) Reus - €35m - proven top quality in German league, wanted by all the top clubs, potential star of the world cup. Dortmund want to renegotiate his clause so we should be acting now to activate it. Younger version of Sneijder, can score and create - should improve the team vastly
    4) Herrera - €35m - again don't know enough to make a call on it right now but surely if we were going for him in August we should be back in there for him in january - he'd be a better option than Ando, clevs, giggs or jones in CM

If it was me i'd be taking Sneijder, Reus, Koke and Herrera in that order...

Considering we bid 100m for Bale there should be enough in the pot there to get these players in.

Thoughts????

Also on the left back slot, which is now almost certain to be a big expenditure...if it comes to spending 15-20m on Baines we should be considering Luke Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

brinty wrote: »
    Considering we bid 100m for Bale there should be enough in the pot there to get these players in.

Woah woah woah- we did WHAT?!

I say sign all those above players because they're midfielders and our midfield makes me cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Headshot wrote: »
    We have more of a chance signing Messi, Ronaldo and going back in time to get Pele and Maradona than winning the CL

This calls for the obligatory Ace Ventura gif.

Hi lads,

With the imminent window coming up and several players being mentioned and release clause values being bandied about for some of them, surely we should have some strategy in place to get some players in for january or failing that have deals in place for the summer.

I'm not saying we go for any or all of these or that the players involved want to come but might get a little bit of debate going

The players being mentioned are
    1) Sneijder - £13m read - creative player, has played at the top level in Europe and can score and create goals, not buying potential here, he's the finished article, would bring an experienced and wise head into the squad and would vastly improve the team
    2) Koke - £/€16m - potential for a great player. Big Dave could have a word. i don't know enough on himt o say yay or nay
    3) Reus - €35m - proven top quality in German league, wanted by all the top clubs, potential star of the world cup. Dortmund want to renegotiate his clause so we should be acting now to activate it. Younger version of Sneijder, can score and create - should improve the team vastly
    4) Herrera - €35m - again don't know enough to make a call on it right now but surely if we were going for him in August we should be back in there for him in january - he'd be a better option than Ando, clevs, giggs or jones in CM

If it was me i'd be taking Sneijder, Reus, Koke and Herrera in that order...

Thoughts????

Also on the left back slot, which is now almost certain to be a big expenditure...if it comes to spending 15-20m on Baines we should be considering Luke Shaw

Sounds like wishful thinking TBH.

I can't see any reason why Dortmund, Galatasaray, Athletico Madrid or Bilbao would agree to selling one of their best players in January, and it would cost a fortune if they did. Not to mention our current woes doesn't exactly make United seem like an attractive destination.

I've already posted why I think Sneijder wouldn't be suitable, mainly his age, and the fact that his best position is as a No. 10, which is a role we already have Rooney and Kags in.

• Advertisement

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Sounds like wishful thinking TBH.

I can't see any reason why Dortmund, Galatasaray, Athletico Madrid or Bilbao would agree to selling one of their best players in January, and it would cost a fortune if they did. Not to mention our current woes doesn't exactly make United seem like an attractive destination.

I already posted why I think Sneijder wouldn't be suitable, mainly his age, and the fact that his best position is as a No. 10, which is a role we already have Rooney and Kags in.

Niall you could be right on wishful thinking..as i said i'm not saying we sign any or all of them..thing is if we meet the release clause in their contracts their club can't do anything and we can talk to the player...that is of course if they are willing to talk to us.... who knows....

On sneijder you could have a point but i think given the experience he has and his ability to get goals he could be played in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 team..

the ability of our midfield to score goals these days is ogus bad...any of these with maybe the exception of Herrera would be getting on the score sheet regularly...look at Chelsea, Citeh and Arsenal..they get goals from all over..like we used too...but without Roo/RVP we seem to be limited in who's going to score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Niall you could be right on wishful thinking..as i said i'm not saying we sign any or all of them..thing is if we meet the release clause in their contracts their club can't do anything and we can talk to the player...that is of course if they are willing to talk to us.... who knows....

On sneijder you could have a point but i think given the experience he has and his ability to get goals he could be played in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 team..

the ability of our midfield to score goals these days is ogus bad...any of these with maybe the exception of Herrera would be getting on the score sheet regularly...look at Chelsea, Citeh and Arsenal..they get goals from all over..like we used too...but without Roo/RVP we seem to be limited in who's going to score
    only position Sneijder can play is in the no.10 role, absolutely pointless signing him imo, Kagawa and Rooney is already enough. Dortmund will laugh if we bid for Reus in the middle of January there's not a chance we could even think about signing him until the summer at the earliest

Wouldnt want Sneijder.Koke and Herrea would be worth approaching especially Koke who is quality.Herrea recently had a great game for Bilbao against Barcelona. Both would be difficult to sign tho. I just wish we never let Pogba go. Reus is a different player than Sneijner . I dont see how they are similar myslef. Reus will be impossible to purchase. Salah of FC Basle is a player we could consider. We could do wth a left footer with pace on the wings

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    only position Sneijder can play is in the no.10 role, absolutely pointless signing him imo, Kagawa and Rooney is already enough. Dortmund will laugh if we bid for Reus in the middle of January there's not a chance we could even think about signing him until the summer at the earliest

fair points Deise..

On reus, as i said to Niall if his release clause is met he's free to talk to us if he wants to and we know there's no guarantee's on that, we could possibly agree to let him stay at dortmund til the summer (now thats wishful thinking ;))

Wouldnt want Sneijder.Koke and Herrea would be worth approaching especially Koke who is quality.Herrea recently had a great game for Bilbao against Barcelona. Both would be difficult to sign tho. I just wish we never let Pogba go. Reus is a different player than Sneijner . I dont see how they are similar myslef. Reus will be impossible to purchase. Salah of FC Basle is a player we could consider. We could do wth a left footer with pace on the wings

Pogba was a huge mistake...Fergie certainly fcuked up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I always thought you were a Liverpool fan? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Eh aren't you a Liverpool fan ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87934311&postcount=2805
    going from 7th to title challengers with only 1 new player player a guaranteed starter from last season (Mignolet) is unrealistic
    but if we are in a decent position at start of January the owners & manager should go all out to buy some top quality players
    because if we don't make top 4 Suarez will be gone in the summer 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

QUICK! Get him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,660 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So after all these years we finally found the spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RVP rested tonight. I'd like to see Ando get a game for once.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I agree that if United's are serious about backing Moyes and a player he wants has a relatively modest buy out clause they should just get it done.

On the midfield, United have enough holding options in midfield, Jones, Fellaini and Carrick. I think creative players have to be the priority.

Since three in midfield was already used by Moyes in Europe i can see him using it more often when options improve, at the moment too many injuries have removed the option to use it. Playing three midfielders when numbers are so low would cause problems with rotation.

On another topic, hopefully Zaha gets more involved in the next few weeks. Himself and Januzaj are raw but that no fear mentality and energy is badly needed at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Koke doesn't suit us, could play him out wide, but need a CM who can play in a 2 man midfield.

Someone like Rakitic, Nainggolan, Guarin, Rabiot, Matuidi etc

titan18 wrote: »
    Koke doesn't suit us, could play him out wide, but need a CM who can play in a 2 man midfield.

Someone like Rakitic, Nainggolan, Guarin, Rabiot, Matuidi etc

That midfield sounds like a dodgy PI firm!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 6m
    CONFIRMED #mufc XI: De Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Büttner; Young, Giggs, Jones, Januzaj; Kagawa, Rooney

#mufc subs vs @Shakhtar_ua: Lindegaard, Anderson, Cleverley, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez, van Persie

Fellaini not even on the bench for the second game running is surprising. I know he has struggled, but at least he's a natural central midfielder and under 40 years old, he couldn't be much worse than Giggs/Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Fellaini not even on the bench for the second game running is surprising. I know he has struggled, but at least he's a natural central midfielder and under 40 years old, he couldn't be much worse than Giggs/Jones

Must be double teaming with Zaha;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fellani is injured.

Young playing, it's now or never for him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if united win CL ill run from o connell street to top of stephens green in my jocks shouting out my love for Ashley young.

Not....a......chance we will win CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

if united win CL ill run from o connell street to top of stephens green in my jocks shouting out my love for Ashley young.

I'm gonna hold you to that :P

The makeshift midfield of Giggs and a defensive utility player reminds me of 05/06 when we played half a season with Giggs/O'Shea. We were in terrible form for a chunk of that season too, until smart signings in January (Vidic, Evra) and in the summer (Carrick) steadied the ship.
    Here's hoping that we're just going though a similar transitional cycle and will win the league next year :pac:

Mind you we also had Ronaldo, but we can dream right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Im starting to think that Moyes asks Giggs who should play in CM...

book marked :P

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Terrible midfield yet again. Don't expect anything from Young, Giggs, Jones, Ferdinand etc. Hopefully Büttner will make the most of his opportunity and put in a good display both defensively and offensively. Evra really needs competition at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jones and Giggs have done quite well beside each other, surprisingly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Jones and Giggs have done quite well beside each other, surprisingly enough.

Quite well in comparison indeed. Just goes to show the state of our midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Red Crow wrote: »
    Quite well in comparison indeed. Just goes to show the state of our midfield.

They have played well together but it says a lot that we have 2 CM's on the bench and have a 40 year old and a CB on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Not the best midfield but I reckon that front 4 might cause problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Keane speaking sense on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kryogen wrote: »

Apart from saying Flamini needed time to settle at Old Trafford. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

adox wrote: »

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What did he say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

kryogen wrote: »
    what he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

adox wrote: »

aye wtf was he on about there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

aye wtf was he on about there?

Obviously meant Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Keane and Ince were a great partnership, maybe Keane rates that partnership higher.

I dont have a link but i do remember seeing somewhere that Keane said Paul scholes was probably the best player he played with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement