Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    HAve to say that was a brilliant piece by ITV, some really good questions and great all round.

I think Keane just isn't hiding the fact that he dislikes Fergie immensely, but I felt there was a pretty sad undertone that these two men who gave everything for their clubs, were just "let go" without a whimper.

Looking back on the flashes throughout the show of them in each other faces, makes you realise that while the EPL might have gained some big players and progression in technique, it's lost so much fire and passion that used to be there.

A great tribute and show to two of the best warriors.

Although it was great to see the old footage and interesting to hear the two of them interact, the editing was awful, edited to within an inch of its life. You barely got to see either of them string two sentences together without an edit, really distracting.

I said it on the thread itself but Keane just comes across as consumed with bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Having now seen the show I think I understand why Keane picked Ince ahead of Scholes. He clearly places a lot of importance on "characters", not only on a players talent but on how they are off the field and what type of person they are. He didn't talk about Beckhams passing, he talked about how hard he worked, same for Ronaldo, and he talked about Irwin never missing a game and never messing about with contracts. These things are clearly important to Keane, so I can see why he would dismiss somebody like Scholes who never said a word and probably never interacted with Keane at all.

An interesting show, though it probably should have been called the Roy Keane show with guest appearance from Patrick Viera! I would have liked to hear more from the Arsenal side to be honest, maybe because I already knew all the United stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

collie0708 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that keane is getting more bitter towards fergie every time he speaks in public. I'm starting to loose respect for keane he speaks about loyalty yet is happy to be disrespectful to giggsy tonight...
    I think Keane's opinion of SAF has been the same the past few years ,dont think it has changed .He feels SAF has spouted crap about and has called him up on it.One is as bad as the other.
    On Giggs ,he felt Ronaldo was better than him and that's fair enough.Only place Gigg's could be picked was LW and in fairness Ronaldo is/was the better player.
    I think Keane actually picked a team that would be successful rather than what usually happens in these dream XI's where players will be picked anywhere just to fit them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Also recall from Keane's book that he had a lot of time for Ince and they were good mates off the field. Ince was a cracking footballer in his own right too. Funnily, Scholes isn't mentioned all that much and even when Keane talks about going into battle in a big game (can't recall which one - edit: Juventus at home I think?) - he described Nicky Butt as the perfect midfield partner for the job.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think Keane's opinion of SAF has been the same the past few years ,dont think it has changed .He feels SAF has spouted crap about and has called him up on it.One is as bad as the other.
    On Giggs ,he felt Ronaldo was better than him and that's fair enough.Only place Gigg's could be picked was LW and in fairness Ronaldo is/was the better player.
    I think Keane actually picked a team that would be successful rather than what usually happens in these dream XI's where players will be picked anywhere just to fit them in.

Parker over Neville just doesn't make any sense whatever way you look at it.
    Probably not much between them defensively but Neville so much better going forward. Also in the overall team Neville behind Beckham is surely a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pisses me off that I can't Sky+ itv4. The ads are ridiculous.

I Sky+'ed it. The English Sky+ must be different to the Irish one then.

I Sky+'ed it. The English Sky+ must be different to the Irish one then.

ITV4 no available on the Irish epg only tuned into Other Channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

adox wrote: »
    Parker over Neville just doesn't make any sense whatever way you look at it.
    Probably not much between them defensively but Neville so much better going forward. Also in the overall team Neville behind Beckham is surely a no brainer.

Parker over Neville was a strange one alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Keano used to be a hero of mine. He was my favourite footballer,

However, since he left he's been such a bitter bastard its unreal. It annoys the crap out of me. The lack of Scholes/Neville shows he was bitter at what was left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's your fault we're in this mess, just accept it.

To anyone who doubted me for starting the match thread:pac::pac:

BDSlNYf.gif

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    To anyone who doubted me for starting the match thread:pac::pac:

BDSlNYf.gif

Europe is one thing but please don't start one for Sunday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Keane & Viera on ITV 4 now at 10

Speaking of Keane, his recent comments about SAF suggests he really needs to lance that boil, cop on and move on. On tonight, it was good to get the win while being largely unimpressive. Credit to Moyes for his CL campaign so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Europe is one thing but please don't start one for Sunday. :D

I must start a few Liverpool or Arsenal match threads;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Roy Keane was probably one of my favourite United players of all time. He was a fantastic footballer, a fantastic battler and an absolute driving force behind United for 10+ years.

Some people might say his honesty is to be admired, and perhaps there is an element of that to him, but he comes across as being very bitter on a lot of topics, including Ferguson, and definitely hasn't turned out to be the manager I thought he'd become.

Has any of this changed my opinion of him as a United player? Not on little bit - a legend, and will remain so for what he done in the #16.

zerks wrote: »
    I must start a few Liverpool or Arsenal match threads;)

And Chelsea and Spurs and City and Everton................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I thought we were awful 2night esp in the 1st half. Really need to get some numbers in Jan and please Carrick come back fast

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Have seen people say United were unlucky against Everton.Citing hitting the woodwork twice as one of the main reasons.Rooney took a shot that was deflected onto the post wrong footing he keeper in the process.That isn't unlucky at all.And Welbeck missed an open goal.Again not unlucky.Poor finishing is to blame there.

Other than that all the saves Howard had to make were saves you would expect a keeper to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

However, since he left he's been such a bitter bastard its unreal. It annoys the crap out of me. The lack of Scholes/Neville shows he was bitter at what was left behind.

The lack of Scholes was perfectly explained. He said himself he would put Scholes in for himself if he didnt have to be in the team? Maybe he genuinely preferred Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Someone posted about Solskjaer not signing a new contract with Molde yet.He would have been my pick for the job in May.He knows the club inside out and what is expected from the fans.Coached first team strikers and then reserves.Was successful with the reserves as well.

Moved onto Molde where he has two league titles and a cup in three seasons.I reckon it could have worked out similar to Guardiola at Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Corvo wrote: »
    Ferdinand is totally finished, and his recent comments won't have helped his cause. Should walk himself at the end of the season, but if not the manager should be giving him the boot.

Chris Smalling more than ready to step into the breach.

What did ferdinand say? I missed his quotes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Devil08 wrote: »
    What did ferdinand say? I missed his quotes
    "This manager's a bit different in that he doesn't name the team beforehand," Ferdinand told BT Sport. "You don't really get to know the team. The old manager used to give you a kind of a little bit of an idea if you'd be playing and stuff.

"When you know you're playing the intensity goes up a little bit more on matchday and that's what you need to try and make sure you're doing even if you don't know you'll be playing to try and get to that intensity you'd be at when you know you're playing.

"It's hard... it's hard to do that mentally because you spend a lot of nervous energy thinking 'Am I playing?' or 'Am I not playing?' and you're just going round in circles in your head and turning into a madman."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What show were you watching?

Keano said he'd take himself out to put Scholes in. What more praise can you get than that? He also said "Gary is a bit unlucky to be fair not to be in".

He made 2 comments which i feel were massively illuminating. He specifically mentioned he was lucky enough to play with Parker and Ince in their primes.

Paul Parker was an outstanding fullback. He was arguably Englands 3rd best player in Italia 90 behind Gazza and Lineker (and for once that says a lot as England got to semis) and it was his long ball that set up Lineker in the semis for the equaliser.

Paul Ince equally ran the show in Euro 96 in the semi-final and was desperately unlucky to be on the losing side.

People might look at Neville and think it's a snub because of all he won but Parker is hardly muck. And Ince was outstanding.

Even Vieira made some mind-boggling comments that seem to have gone un-noticed. "Emmanuel Petit was the best player i played with at Arsenal". This from a man who played alongside Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Overmars, Seaman, Adams, Wright.......

Bottom line both of them seem to have picked it more on who their pals were than the out-and-out skill of it. And even at that their "pals" were all fairly awesome at football. If Keane was taking the absolute piss he coulda put Massimo Taibi in ahead of Schmeichel (who he pure hates!).

Plus being honest i'm sure ITV gave both of them a nod and a wink to keep it interesting. Wouldn't generate many headlines if Keane went for Becks-Keane-Scholes-Giggs across the middle.

I don't get all the "he's bitter" comments. He looks like he couldn't give a flying duck!! He doesn't like SAF and like many of his rows if they patch it up in a few years they'll be pals again!!

Favourite line when Keane said: "there's someone (SAF) who used to like me lol" and Vieira said "i'm sure he still loves you deep down". It's probably mutual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

keane included all the players that got fergies wrath and the door.staam,rvn,beckham,ince.
    I would of had scholes in that team all day long and Neville over parker every time.

a bitter c*nt that can,t get over getting fergies boot up hes hole and out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

I would of had scholes in that team over beckham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

this wasnt fantasy football, they put in the best positions not just midfielders.

he chose players with massive characters which is what he likes and appreciates more than just skill. sure his opinion might be different that yours but to lambaste a man over choosing a hypothetical team is just childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Parker was every bit as good as Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think it was a great show. Admitting he regretted missing wc was huge in.my eyes.

I always find it funny that cause he does not sugar coat his answers he is marked as bitter.

Also it was his team to pick and he gave a good reason everytime. Loved seeing how we he defended irwin.

Also love how everybody skips over him picking the big dane even though he said they did not get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It would have beem funny if he picked Gary Walsh as goalie all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Robson was better than Ince, but Keane did'nt play with him in his prime. I cant take much umbrage with the team Keane picked. Love the way he wants Irwin above all. Remember the days when we actually had a right and left back!!

Can we have that again with Shaw and Rafael?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With Irwin we had a right and left back all in one

Parker was every bit as good as Neville

At defending yes but going forward? Crossing? Leadership?
    Not in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Roy Keane speaks his mind and he is called a bitter so and so for it.

It's so typical of society, it's all spoof and niceties to peoples face and in public and then b!tch and moan in private.

People would prefer it if he said he liked Ferguson for the cameras would they? Come off it.

He doesn't like Ferguson, so what?

The man should be applauded for having the balls to tell it exactly as he sees it.

On saying Clough was the better manager, while I don't agree from the outside looking in and as United fans none of us will think Clough was better. Roy worked with Clough at a pivotal point in his career when Clough would have had a massive influence on him and there is no doubt Clough was an outstanding manager, what he achieved with Derby and Forest was outter worldly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They can feck off!

Though, in fairness, I can see a way it happens - if the following were true/come to pas:

1. RVP isn't happy at United and did hand in a transfer request.
    2. Barcelona offer Fabregas up

Don't want to see RVP go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wouldnt believe it, City in for Neuer in the same article.

A few places saying Barca are to offer up to 30million for Luiz too which I'd believe more so than the RVP story.

ericzeking wrote: »
    For that money I'd sell

Why though?

Based on past experience and current comment from the club, one of the following is true:

1. We have plenty of money to compete for the best players.
    2. We have generally been poor at buying replacements.

Why would you want to sell RVP simply because of the money on offer? Nothing points to United needing/being able to do something with the money. All we are likely to get is a lower Net debt - while the club takes a further hit to its on field reputation.

In fact, I could see selling RVP being a PR disaster for the club. He was the final marquee signing of the Fergie era - and there are rumours he is unhappy with Moyes (re. training/tactics.) If we were to sell him, for any reason, it would be seen as RVP bailing on United because of Moyes - that would be a huge story.

Selling Rooney would have been easier than selling RVP imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No way a story like that only features in a round up piece if they actually thought it was true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone know if the Keane and Vieira documentary is going to be repeated? I missed it.

Why though?

Based on past experience and current comment from the club, one of the following is true:

1. We have plenty of money to compete for the best players.
    2. We have generally been poor at buying replacements.

Why would you want to sell RVP simply because of the money on offer? Nothing points to United needing/being able to do something with the money. All we are likely to get is a lower Net debt - while the club takes a further hit to its on field reputation.

In fact, I could see selling RVP being a PR disaster for the club. He was the final marquee signing of the Fergie era - and there are rumours he is unhappy with Moyes (re. training/tactics.) If we were to sell him, for any reason, it would be seen as RVP bailing on United because of Moyes - that would be a huge story.

Selling Rooney would have been easier than selling RVP imo.

That's big money for a player of his age, then factor in that he appears less than happy, there are background rumblings and his performance level is not there as a result.

It looks increasingly like Rooney will stay long term so have him as undisputed number 9, give him the armband full time as Vidic hasn't long left, you have Chich, Welbeck, Henriquez etc as back up.
    You then have a further 37m quid for midfield investment.

That Fabregas scenario you mention didn't even enter my head, jaysus if that was the case, some kind of trade deal, I'd bite their hand off.

Just to point out, I would have been one he would have seen Rooney gone in the summer on our terms but his performance and atitude has been exemplary this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Keane and Vieira documentary is going to be repeated? I missed it.

I'm sure its on RTE 1/2 on the 18th.

That's big money for a player of his age, then factor in that he appears less than happy, there are background rumblings and his performance level is not there as a result.

It looks increasingly like Rooney will stay long term so have him as undisputed number 9, give him the armband full time as Vidic hasn't long left, you have Chich, Welbeck, Henriquez etc as back up.

That Fabregas scenario you mention didn't even enter my head, jaysus if that was the case, some kind of trade deal, I'd bite their hand off.

Just to point out, I would have been one he would have seen Rooney gone in the summer on our terms but his performance and atitude has been exemplary this season.

What would make you so confident Rooney wants to stay after this season? If he was unhappy before the season started ... Is he likely to be any happier now?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm sure its on RTE 1/2 on the 18th.

I heard a few quotes on the radio this morning, sounded great.

I heard a few quotes on the radio this morning, sounded great.

I enjoyed it a lot - some very funny moments in, some great 'banter' between the two - especially over Cole/Irwin and ref decisions at OT/Highbury.

Fair enough, I can see your point.

Potentially
    Rooney
    Kagawa
    Nani---Carrick--Fabregas-Januzaj

is better than
    Rooney--RVP
    Kagawa-Carrick-Fellaini-Januzaj.

I enjoyed it a lot - some very funny moments in, some great 'banter' between the two - especially over Cole/Irwin and ref decisions at OT/Highbury.

I heard them arguing over refereeing decisions at Old Trafford and Highbury, cutting across each other and having a go, I was in stitches.

Roy Keane speaks his mind and he is called a bitter so and so for it.

It's so typical of society, it's all spoof and niceties to peoples face and in public and then b!tch and moan in private.

People would prefer it if he said he liked Ferguson for the cameras would they? Come off it.

He doesn't like Ferguson, so what?

The man should be applauded for having the balls to tell it exactly as he sees it.

On saying Clough was the better manager, while I don't agree from the outside looking in and as United fans none of us will think Clough was better. Roy worked with Clough at a pivotal point in his career when Clough would have had a massive influence on him and there is no doubt Clough was an outstanding manager, what he achieved with Derby and Forest was outter worldly.

Ah get off your soap box would ya! You know you can admire him for speaking his mind and still think that he is bitter.

What would make you so confident Rooney wants to stay after this season? If he was unhappy before the season started ... Is he likely to be any happier now?

He certainly looks a lot happier and is playing like a happy player.

I wouldn't say I am "so confident", in fact, that's not what I said, but I would say it looks alot more likely that he will stay with us for another contract than it did 5 months ago.

Obviously if Rooney was still intent on leaving, I wouldn't sell RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Actually got a lot of respect back for Keane last night, I think loads of what he was saying he was taking the piss, he's gas altogether!

Ah get off your soap box would ya! You know you can admire him for speaking his mind and still think that he is bitter.

You're dead right, but not many have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement