Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Both Keane and Paddy Vieira picked their best-of-sides (Man Utd and Arsenal). Could only pick players they played with.

Keane:

Schemichel
    Irwin
    Stam
    Pallister
    Parker
    Beckham
    Keane
    Ince
    Ronaldo
    Cantona
    RVN

He noted he would have put Scholes in ahead of himself, Neville "unlucky) and Giggs he reasoned "i can't leave out Ronaldo". He could have put Ronaldo right and Giggs left but then he leaves out Becks which would be headlines too!

Vieira

Seaman
    Cole
    Adams
    Campbell
    Lauren
    Pires
    Vieira
    Petit
    Ljungberg
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Left out Dixon, Overmars, Wright etc

Also said Petit was the best player he ever played with. Gone unnoticed by the press!

Would LOVE to see that 11 v 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think he has missed chances he wouldn't have last season and his body language hasn't been great, he doesn't appear happy. Off form is a bit extreme alright but he is certainly not at it full gas imo.

In terms of the back up thing, if you are playing with one striker, how much back up do you need?

i'd say 3 strikers at least and in that with rooney and hernandez fine but if one gets injured 1 cant play all games and i think you cant be relying on welbeck for goals and henrequez has not shown anything yet(im not saying anything against him as he is young) to say he could be relied on for cover. even as it stands i think its coming to the point if we stick to 442 that welbeck gets his act together and starts scoring or we get another striker in for 4th choice who will. a team of united level that should be competing at all fronts should have 4 strikers that you could rely on like we did late 90's early 00's playing as we are and swapping to 451 i would say should have 3 strikers you can rely on and if rvp went we would lack that. IMO to compete at all levels your 1st choice striker(s) should be hitting 20+ and backup strikers should be hitting min 10-15 most seasons.

its grand if your strikers stay injury free and dont get banned often but relying one 1 or 2 strikers at this level is a dangerous game.(one of the reason i think arsenal and liverpool may come undone and chelsea dont really have 1 that you could say is almost sure to get you 20 plus)

Come off it. I'm not even sure if your serious or trolling here.

I Know right, if he anything he was the catalyst for the national team trying to do things right in the future, so disloyal that he took a job as "ASSISTANT MANAGER" of his country.

Honestly some of the ****e people chat is unreal.

He left out scholes so what it's one man's opinion, he also gave him the highest accolade stating he would have scholes in if he didn't have to choose himself , what more do people want.

He no mores craves media attention than I'm.............

He just doesn't pussy foot around topics and tells things the way they are, the man is known to have a ferocious appetite for winning and doing things the way they should be done, and that apparently makes him bitter.

He "apparently" can't stand Great Dane or RVN but they're in there, yet the media seem to gloss over these things.

Roy is a legend.
    Fergie is a legend.

They sadly seem to have a personal war that's being played out in the media, but to suggest fergie is a saint in all of this and cast judgement on keane.....

RasTa wrote: »
    What did the shambolic set up have to do with with Keane saying his team mates aren't good enough to be playing for Ireland?

Did he not come out with that after certain team mates criticized him for what he did, do you want the man to just sit in the corner and take abuse?

would you sit there when senior members of the squad are slagging you off in public, i bet you would...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did he not come out with that after certain team mates criticized him for what he did

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's clear that Keane has a lot of time for Beckham but then agaain he also a big falling out with Ferguson os is it "your enemy's enemy" etc.

Can't understand the inclusion of Paul Parker...I mean I am old enough to remember him at QPR but he was very very average but I think Keane does not quite have much time for Neville..."weak link" comment.

As regards Saipan, McCarthy should not have had a team meeting to start waving the Keane interview around.

Whether you agreed with Keane's comments or not, that was bad management and asking for trouble. It should have been done in private.

If you get in the **** at work, the boss calls you in personally...not in front of the whole work place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would LOVE to see that 11 v 11

Got to think Vieira saying Petit was the best he played with was meaning the best CM partner - so vs Edu, Parlor and a young Fabregas. He can't have thought Petit was better than Henry or Bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Neville was a good player. He was not a great player.

I like Neville, but Parker was very solid defender.

Irwin was tops though of any fullback we have had. Different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

It's clear that Keane has a lot of time for Beckham but then agaain he also a big falling out with Ferguson os is it "your enemy's enemy" etc.

Can't understand the inclusion of Paul Parker...I mean I am old enough to remember him at QPR but he was very very average but I think Keane does not quite have much time for Neville..."weak link" comment.
    pure Keane really loves to be controversial. He played one season with Parker 93/94 and then Parker missed the 94/95 season because of injury, by the time he returned Neville was the regular 1st team right back and Parker couldn't start ahead of him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    pure Keane really loves to be controversial. He played one season with Parker 93/94 and then Parker missed the 94/95 season because of injury, by the time he returned Neville was the regular 1st team right back and Parker couldn't start ahead of him

It's not controversial, it's HIS PERSONAL "BEST OF" MAN UTD TEAM, not anyone elses.

Why can't people grasp this simple concept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Snejder just scored in the snow bowl

Loving being home sick and CL on the telly at this hour of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

kryogen wrote: »
    Snejder just scored in the snow bowl

Loving being home sick and CL on the telly at this hour of the day

Took his goal well, he is playing shíte tho. Suppose you can't really play good on that pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Both Keane and Paddy Vieira picked their best-of-sides (Man Utd and Arsenal). Could only pick players they played with.

Keane:

Schemichel
    Irwin
    Stam
    Pallister
    Parker
    Beckham
    Keane
    Ince
    Ronaldo
    Cantona
    RVN

He noted he would have put Scholes in ahead of himself, Neville "unlucky) and Giggs he reasoned "i can't leave out Ronaldo". He could have put Ronaldo right and Giggs left but then he leaves out Becks which would be headlines too!

Vieira

Seaman
    Cole
    Adams
    Campbell
    Lauren
    Pires
    Vieira
    Petit
    Ljungberg
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Left out Dixon, Overmars, Wright etc

Also said Petit was the best player he ever played with. Gone unnoticed by the press!

When I think about it, including Ronaldo was probably the strangest decision (given Keane was putting emphasis on how good players were when he was there)

Ronaldo didn't truly hit it off until 06/07, well after Keane left. He started to gain a bit more consistency in Keane's last season but there is no way you could say that Ronaldo back then was even close to Giggs in his prime. Not even a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should take advantage of the Juve mess up now :)

Ronaldo from 2004 to 2006
    Diving-Cristiano-Ronaldo.gif

haha so there Paul Pogba take that eh!!

sigh:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good win, poorer atmosphere than i expected, but the crowd at our end are 100% behind Moyes anyway and that is good to see.

my god we are poor though. hopefully, that is finally the game that kick starts our season....5 winnable games coming up before spurs-12 points there and a semi final place in league cup, with seaded place in the last 16 and things will look much better than today.

ive started to relax my view on Moyes and am willing to give him more time, BUT he needs 6 wins in the next 6 games, anything less and his first 6 months in charge will have been an abject failure.

he needs to sign players in the window also. if he fails on both of those, our season will not get much better.

Blatter wrote: »
    When I think about it, including Ronaldo was probably the strangest decision (given Keane was putting emphasis on how good players were when he was there)

Ronaldo didn't truly hit it off until 06/07, well after Keane left. He started to gain a bit more consistency in Keane's last season but there is no way you could say that Ronaldo back then was even close to Giggs in his prime. Not even a contest.

That's true but the thing about Giggs back when he was a true left winger was that his final ball 9 times out 10 was very poor- in particular his crossing.

But I think it goes back to his comment about Giggs having a great career but not necessarily a great player which I agree with.

Without wanting to take anything away from Giggs, he will be remebered as a great pro more than anything else. Maldini was a great pro but also a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Another win and another time to tell ourselves that we have an "easy run of games" or "hopefully this will kick start our season" but nothing in the play suggests anything is going to change or improve.

We will still see an emphasis on wide play and not enough through the middle. Although if Moyes doesn't have enough faith in the central players at his disposal whilst Carrick is out I would find it hard to be critical but less of a disconnect or space between the two CM's and our wide players would be nice to see.

Another win and another time to tell ourselves that we have an "easy run of games" or "hopefully this will kick start our season" but nothing in the play suggests anything is going to change or improve.

We will still see an emphasis on wide play and not enough through the middle. Although if Moyes doesn't have enough faith in the central players at his disposal whilst Carrick is out I would find it hard to be critical but less of a disconnect or space between the two CM's and our wide players would be nice to see.

TBH I think ManU are missing the quality to kick on. I think they are also missing leadership with too many raw youngsters and older players are prob past their best. No happy medium.

Take out Rooney and RVP and who else would you put on, say the Bayern Team or even Man City. I am not being funny!

I genuinely worry for the team in the CL when they come up against the top class side. Man U simply have not improved their squad. There is too many average players in the squad ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What we need from the central players is to collect the ball more from the defenders and give it in to the strikers more. The defence was forced to play long far too often due to the postion of the midfield, and the midfield took the easy route wide too often too.

Thought Cleverley improved the service into the forwards when he came on.

We miss Carrick a lot, really.

I appreciated Carrick before but its only in last few weeks have I really appreciated how good a player is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What we need from the central players is to collect the ball more from the defenders and give it in to the strikers more. The defence was forced to play long far too often due to the postion of the midfield

This happens a lot, it's not that we set out to play long balls imo, it's just there's no other option at times due to the problem you mentioned.

Rio was poor again, Smalling & Jones have overtaken him now surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I was most impressed with Jones in the second half of the game last night. What we really lacked was some speed of passing and penetration from midfield. I thought in the second half he start to one-touch pass more often, and even a few times passed the ball and immediately moved to receive it again. When Rooney dropped deep he started to do the same and Kagawa to always looked to turn and face the goal.

This kind of play has been pretty much lacking in that two losses. Way to much conservative passing backwards and sideways out to the wing where we're not as effective.

I'd actually love to see Jones, Carrick and Kagawa in midfield with RVP up the middle and Rooney and Nani/Januzaj cutting in from wide in 4-3-2-1 formation. In defense Jones will run all day and handle most of the breaking up play with Carrick, with Kagawa, Rooney and Nani/Januzaj helping out. In attack Carrick, Kagawa, Rooney and Nani/Januzaj can do the short passing game that they're all good at, taking turns to drop in the hole with RVP just waiting for some good through balls to pounce on. Best of all it will keep Valencia and Young out of the team, who have both shown they can't be relied on at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Blatter wrote: »

Ronaldo from 2004 to 2006
    Diving-Cristiano-Ronaldo.gif

:rolleyes:

Ronaldo

Season Goals
    03/04 - 6
    04/05 - 9
    05/06 - 12
    06/07 - 23

Giggs has only scored 9 goals or more in a season six times in his whole career. I don't need to remind anyone of Ronaldo's goal scoring tally from 06/07 onwards. It is only matched by one other player in the world. The choice was never, ever between Ronaldo and Giggs (as much as I admire Giggs), it was between Giggs and Beckham and Keane chose Beckham.

K4t wrote: »

Ronaldo

Season Goals
    03/04 - 6
    04/05 - 9
    05/06 - 12
    06/07 - 23

Giggs has only scored 9 goals or more in a season six times in his whole career. I don't need to remind anyone of Ronaldo's goal scoring tally from 06/07 onwards. It is only matched by one other player in the world. The choice was never, ever between Ronaldo and Giggs (as much as I admire Giggs), it was between Giggs and Beckham and Keane chose Beckham.

Oh dont think for 1 second I did not rate Roanldo at United. I have shown my admiration and love for the man on plenty of occassions, but he was horrid in few games in those seaosns I mentioned.

One of our greatest players ever. No doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd actually love to see Jones, Carrick and Kagawa in midfield with RVP up the middle and Rooney and Nani/Januzaj cutting in from wide in 4-3-2-1 formation. In defense Jones will run all day and handle most of the breaking up play with Carrick, with Kagawa, Rooney and Nani/Januzaj helping out. In attack Carrick, Kagawa, Rooney and Nani/Januzaj can do the short passing game that they're all good at, taking turns to drop in the hole with RVP just waiting for some good through balls to pounce on. Best of all it will keep Valencia and Young out of the team, who have both shown they can't be relied on at the moment.
    Would like to see this aswell but I honestly don't think Moyes would go for this and although I think those players do have the footballing ability to make this work, I wonder if the coaching standards and training practices are in place at Carrington now for it to work? Players do not look comfortable on the ball at all and the movement of players looks so clumsy (getting in the way of each other several times during matches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

K4t wrote: »

Ronaldo

Season Goals
    03/04 - 6
    04/05 - 9
    05/06 - 12
    06/07 - 23

What are you talking about?

What Ronaldo achieved after Keane left is irrelevant to the debate. Giggs at his prime was undoubtedly better than Ronaldo of 03-05 (the years Keane actually played with him). As I said, not even a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ive started to relax my view on Moyes and am willing to give him more time

Since when? Since we lost to Newcastle or after we won against Shaktar?
    We could easily have been 0-2 down in the first half and it was by far a convincing display... Young, Rio, Rafael and Kagawa not really at it at all the first half. The performance didn't show too much progression I thought and I'm surprised you saying this as you were not happy with him one bit (or so I believe) all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Keane did not need to respond to Sir Alex's spiteful words... he is now the loser after failing to see he had won
    By MARTIN SAMUEL
    PUBLISHED: 00:19 GMT, 11 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:02 GMT, 11 December 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2521549/Roy-Keane-did-need-respond-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-autobiography.html#ixzz2nBKouO2t
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A significant part of successful sport is knowing when you’ve won. Gung-ho behaviour can wipe out a slender lead; tactics can be too cavalier.
    Similarly, Roy Keane did not need to be dragged into responding to the spiteful words in Sir Alex Ferguson’s autobiography.
    He won. Many found Ferguson’s recollection of their fall-out at Manchester United riveting, but also lacking in gratitude. However bitterly their relationship ended, Keane had been a brilliant captain for United and some of the manager’s greatest successes were built on his back. No Keane, no Champions League final in 1999, no Treble.

His performance in the semi-final against Juventus was sensational — he drove United to the final, even though, beyond the 33rd minute in Turin, he knew he would be playing no part in it himself.
    Keane and David Beckham were harshly dealt with in Ferguson’s memoirs but Beckham rose above controversy by declaring he still revered his former boss. He made Ferguson look small. But Keane could not resist.
    Keane told an ITV documentary that Brian Clough was the best manager he had worked for. But it didn’t ring true. In his own autobiography, Keane recalled being struck by Clough as a young player.
    Clough was a brilliant man but Keane certainly did not experience him at his best.
    The day after Ferguson’s book was published, with the great man in attendance at Old Trafford, the fans sang Keane’s name. The message was clear: they admired Ferguson, but remembered their captain, too — and did not care to see him rubbished.
    In that moment, Keane was victorious. Any subsequent argument diminishes him, as it did Ferguson.
    Just read this, Fergie is a bit of a pr**k in my opinion, Keane was a one man army, Fergie is severely lacking in gratitude IMO. That infamous clip was never aired to the best of my knowledge, but I assume keane was hitting the nail on the head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Page after page of Roy Keane, thats how awful the match was yesterday :D

Martin Samuel is a guy I advise people not to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Martin Samuel is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Haven't we got the 3rd highest revenue in football?

Money shouldn't be an issue at United within the realm of reason.

Headshot wrote: »
    We should take advantage of the Juve mess up now :)

Tevez and Pogba please :p:)

EDIT: joke

Tevez?

You can fuc...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trilla wrote: »
    Since when? Since we lost to Newcastle or after we won against Shaktar?
    We could easily have been 0-2 down in the first half and it was by far a convincing display... Young, Rio, Rafael and Kagawa not really at it at all the first half. The performance didn't show too much progression I thought and I'm surprised you saying this as you were not happy with him one bit (or so I believe) all season.

i am not happy with him and unless things increase dramatically i dont think i ever will be.

ive made it clear since early on he should never have got the job and wouldnt have even been in the top 8-10 options in my opinion if we were addressing the most deserving of people. in fact, i think if i was asked to name every manager i would like to pick to replace Ferguson, i dont think he would even have been on any list i would pick.

what i have relaxed on however is my frustration with him (primarily on the basis that people are willing to give him a chance), its just not worth it anymore. at this stage, ive accepted that we are stuck with him and the club wont get rid of him, so i guess we just hope that things will improve in the next 6 games and we over the course of next two windows, start to repair the damage he has done to the club.

ive already accepted that a top 4 finish is unlikely, but that then sets me up to be delighted and looking forward to next season if that happens that we do finish in top 4.

what i have relaxed on however is my frustration with him (primarily on the basis that people are willing to give him a chance), its just not worth it anymore. at this stage, ive accepted that we are stuck with him and the club wont get rid of him, so i guess we just hope that things will improve in the next 6 games and we over the course of next two windows, start to repair the damage he has done to the club

Ah ok. So you're tired of being frustrated at people willing to give him a chance that you're prepared to give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

would you United fans have had O'Neill before Moyes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Idbatterim wrote: »
    would you United fans have had O'Neill before Moyes?

Personally, no. Even less experience at the top of the league.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Plesae don't quote Martin Samuel ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah ok. So you're tired of being frustrated at people willing to give him a chance that you're prepared to give him a chance.

he's prob the same as me too tired to argue against him and getting used to the bad season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What show were you watching?

Havent watched it yet. I didnt mention the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

seen this on facebook :pac:

1458603_225848617586541_1463368864_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

seen this on facebook :pac:

1458603_225848617586541_1463368864_n.jpg

Sign her up

I bet Giggs has tried to already ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fake account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Good fun, but that account is 100% fake.

Fake account.

i know.....

• Advertisement

Good fun, but that account is 100% fake.

i know but said id post for the laugh. knew i should of pointed that out :P i used to follow the real one but think she took it down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement