Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Call this a Christmas wish list but for long term health of the club this is how I (and a lot of other logical committed fans I can only surmise) would like to see next year go.
    Firstly people need to give Moyes some time...I don't think he's a messiah by any means but it's laughable to hear fans looking for him to be sacked already.
    I think he messed up a bit by shipping out likes of Muelensteen so quickly but see why he thought he should.im not a fan of Fellaini,he's not a Utd type player....but let's give him till after WC...if he's still not performing,cut losses and sell.
    Hope to Christ they don't panic buy in Jan market...maybe loan in a decent MF player not getting a game in Spain or Germany,
    Hopefully get rid of Anderson or Young In Jan if they can find a club silly enuf to buy them!...the same goes for Buttner,Valencia,Fabio in summer.
    Play a consistent settle defence without Rio whose past it
    Buy early and well in summer,even if that means giving extra before the WC...need a LB,proper left footed left winger,defensive midfielder whose got bit of skill(ie not Phil Jones:)).... And I would love to see them go for Ross Barkley...reminds me of a young Paul Scholes.
    Could live with Utd not making Champ league next season if all or some of above happened
    PS- let Giggs and Rio retire gracefully.
    PPS-....and before people say you wont attract anyone decent in the summer if we aren't in CL......reality is money talks and an extra few K in their weekly wage would cover that disappointment ...plus Moyes can plan to go hell for leather for Europa league.
    Way we are playing currently and way clubs in top 6 are playing currently I think it would be a huge achievement for Moyes to finish in top 4, this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Does everybody think that the answer to our poor form is due mainly to our MF or Moyes tactics and that by sorting out the MF with a couple of signings we will improve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Does everybody think that the answer to our poor form is due mainly to our MF or Moyes tactics and that by sorting out the MF with a couple of signings we will improve?

Moyes tactics, hampered by the midfield.

It could be Moyes thinks this is the best way to get something out of our midfield, and after getting in his targets his tactics and our performances will change accordingly.

The worry is getting in some more midfielders will just result in better midfielders doing poorly as we play direct football to the wings or the corner flags.

Simply put, I just don't trust Moyes to change United's approach - I fear this is, basically, the United 'style' he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

the midfield for me. like i wouldnt have batted an eyelid if fergie had put out the team that played the last 4 games considering injuries etc. dont think he is a bad tactician his everton team gave city more of a game the last 3 years than united actually managed to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

Headshot wrote: »
    Might as well bid for Messi in Jan then....

Oh you're so clever.

All the players we were inked with signing were either:

1. Possibly in two minds about leaving. (Fabregas wasn't quick in coming and saying he wanted to stay was he? We bid a couple of times for him so there was bound to be some indication he wanted to move).

2. Not wanted by their club. Coentrao would have come had it not been so late.

3. Wanted to come. Herrera would have came if the price was right.

They could be seen as attainable one way or another. Saying "bid for Messi" then to prove your point is childish as he has shown no indication of wanting to leave or his club willing to sell.

Moyes tactics, hampered by the midfield.

It could be Moyes thinks this is the best way to get something out of our midfield, and after getting in his targets his tactics and our performances will change accordingly.

The worry is getting in some more midfielders will just result in better midfielders doing poorly as we play direct football to the wings or the corner flags.

Simply put, I just don't trust Moyes to change United's approach - I fear this is, basically, the United 'style' he wants.

I think this is the case also. Moyes is too focused on width because a) whats at his disposal in MF and b) the UTD tradition of width.

Everton used to be compact under Moyes and even the wide players used to cut inside, according to various pundits, I haven't enough knowledge of Everton to verify this. He doesn't feel he can recreate that right now at UTD but saying that he should have gotten more out of the team so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

another one who praises him for "trying" to sign somebody....talk about smalltime expectations.

he is also "trying" to win us the league and "trying" to get us playing good football. he has not been sucessful so far in any of them.

he wont get any praise in the transfer market, until he actually signs the players we need.

Come off it you know what he means. Moyes tried to sign quality players and talked about fixing the midfield both things Fergie didn't do in years. It didn't work out great but at least he showed ambition. He was new in the job and Woodward was new in the job at the same time it was no means perfect. Hopefully both will have learned and we manage to bring in some quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think this is the case also. Moyes is too focused on width because a) whats at his disposal in MF and b) the UTD tradition of width.

Everton used to be compact under Moyes and even the wide players used to cut inside, according to various pundits, I haven't enough knowledge of Everton to verify this. He doesn't feel he can recreate that right now at UTD but saying that he should have gotten more out of the team so far.

The way Moyes had Everton playing i think would suit us. He gave his wingers sort of free roles to roam around inside and get in dangerous positions. This opened space for the two full backs to get forward and both had great delivery. Think this would work well for United well if we get Baines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Call this a Christmas wish list but for long term health of the club this is how I (and a lot of other logical committed fans I can only surmise) would like to see next year go.
    Firstly people need to give Moyes some time...I don't think he's a messiah by any means but it's laughable to hear fans looking for him to be sacked already.
    I think he messed up a bit by shipping out likes of Muelensteen so quickly but see why he thought he should.im not a fan of Fellaini,he's not a Utd type player....but let's give him till after WC...if he's still not performing,cut losses and sell.
    Hope to Christ they don't panic buy in Jan market...maybe loan in a decent MF player not getting a game in Spain or Germany,
    Hopefully get rid of Anderson or Young In Jan if they can find a club silly enuf to buy them!...the same goes for Buttner,Valencia,Fabio in summer.
    Play a consistent settle defence without Rio whose past it
    Buy early and well in summer,even if that means giving extra before the WC...need a LB,proper left footed left winger,defensive midfielder whose got bit of skill(ie not Phil Jones:)).... And I would love to see them go for Ross Barkley...reminds me of a young Paul Scholes.
    Could live with Utd not making Champ league next season if all or some of above happened
    PS- let Giggs and Rio retire gracefully.

The only thing laughable is your wish list above. There's more chance of Moyes being sacked at Christmas than the above happening.

You can strongly disagree with the view that Moyes should be sacked but I wouldn't be so dismissive.
    I for one don't make the call lightly and think it is the best thing for the club. In fact leaving Moyes in charge will damage the club hugely. I just can't hang around and say "wait and see".

I didn't think I would ever be calling for his head after only a few months in charge but the club is an absolute mess, he's been a very poor appointment and if let continue will end up being a disastrous appointment. The players look cluleless, uninterested, and dare I say a bit demoralised.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the club admitting they got the appointment wrong. It's a braver move to sack him than to leave him there.
    It won't happen of course and I know people think I am constantly calling for his head but I have to respond to dismissive posts like above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

You guys are crazy, when was the last time MU went to Europe and bought a top class, A grade, finished player??? (RVP was in England)

No such player has any desire to live in Manchester (unless you pay massive wages which MU dont), no top class player is going to move in winter, Moyes has NO reputation in Europe, Rooney constantly wants out.

Even SAF couldn't attract the real top class players to MU when they were winning everything.

Keep throwing out your fantasy lists, the club made fools of themselves in the summer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We have a new manager for the first time in 26 years. Things will change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

sundula wrote: »
    You guys are crazy, when was the last time MU went to Europe and bought a top class, A grade, finished player??? (RVP was in England)

No such player has any desire to live in Manchester (unless you pay massive wages which MU dont), no top class player is going to move in winter, Moyes has NO reputation in Europe, Rooney constantly wants out.

Even SAF couldn't attract the real top class players to MU when they were winning everything.

Keep throwing out your fantasy lists, the club made fools of themselves in the summer market.

That's why Rooney and RvP are amongst the highest paid in the PL. It's why Ashley Young is on around £100k/week.

But no, United don't pay massive wages at all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They don't live in Manchester. They don't even live in the same county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the-fail-is-strong-with-this-one.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

My favourite part of this post is where you came onto a United thread and reminded us all where we bought our Star striker :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Express & Metro (lol) saying we're in talks for Guarin from Inter
    Manchester United have kick-started their January recruitment drive by opening talks with Inter Milan over a deal for midfielder Fredy Guarin.

United boss David Moyes has been promised sizable funds to improve his under-fire team in the new year, and work has begun this week on trying to sign players.

The club want to bag at least two midfielders, with a creative type and a box-to-box enforcer topping the list of targets

Inter ace Guarin fits into the latter category, and reports in Italy claim that United representatives have made contact over a deal.

The 27-year-old is valued at £15million but it’s thought that United hope they can get him for around £10million, with negotiations ongoing.

Guarin, famed for his bullish approach, has previously been linked with Liverpool and Tottenham and is enjoying a solid season for Inter.
    Reports in Italy suggest that Inter directors Marco Branca, Piero Ausilio and Guarin’s agent Marcelo Ferreyra flew to London today and had meetings scheduled with both Spurs and United.

It is thought that Inter are set to demand approximately £17m to part with Guarin.

The Colombian has also been linked with a move to Chelsea, but it appears they may have dropped out of the race, with no reports of a similar meeting being held with the Blues.

Guarin is already familiar with Andre Villas-Boas having played under him at Porto when the club won the Treble in 2011.

But he is also a long-term target for United, who are in the market for midfield reinforcements in January.

Guarin has also been linked with PSG and Barcelona, with Gerardo Martino thought to be particularly keen to bring the 27-year-old to the Camp Nou.

Inter are on record as saying they will need to sell before they buy in January, and there could be several departures with new owner Erick Thohir keen to overhaul the squad.

Amongst other targets Inter have been linked with Manchester City's Edin Dzeko and Southampton's Pablo Osvaldo in the upcoming transfer window.

But for now the two player's fates seem to hang on whether United or Spurs is able to tie up a deal for Guarin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ahh Freddy Guarin, was a wonderkid in the old Championship Managers. Many an Utd team I signed him for!

Chico going the other way as part of the Guarin deal is doing the rounds also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Trilla wrote: »
    Many an Utd team I signed him for!

Kryo's Yoda picture made me read this in his voice.

sure at least we are currently standing with more points that we were in the 2001-02 season at the same point(1 more point but still more) of 15 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graham Hunter on Off The Ball said that Moyes like to watch a player he is going to sign a lot before he tries to sign that player. He said Moyes while at the Atletico game might have been looking at more than Koke.
    Hunter says that Koke will not be leaving in January unless Atletico are paid some huge sum as Koke is happy there right now and is not looking to leave. GH also said he doesn't expect United to buy that many players and that Moyes would rather leave it till the summer if he thought he could get the current team to work but that if he sees a player he likes and can get then he will move for that player.
    Moyes he says is not someone to panic buy. He said he had been talking to Moyes.
    He also said Ed Woodward knew he didn't do a good job last summer and wants to change things next summer.
    But listening to Graham Hunter it seems most of the rumours have Koke going to United, but he said not next month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9WKgYMFm8dY1myA0qI56CYrzkOR0WXd3e-5-zMVHFlszyYCSL

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fredy Guarin would be a great signing - a midfielder who scores and assists.
    So far this season 19 games, 4 goals and 9 assists.

RobertKK wrote: »

He's a good all rounder and oh yeah, he did this before from a DMF position before

His reaction is as good as the goal. Tbh its not a name that gets you too excited but when you consider he will be the enforcer (who can assist and score a bit better than what we have now) and Moyes will want a box to box type to compliment him its a bit more appealing, if what Graham Hunter says is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Had to smile a little when I read that he's valued at £15m but United surprisingly hope to get him for two thirds of that. A trend starting to emerge here.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Had to smile a little when I read that he's valued at £15m but United surprisingly hope to get him for two thirds of that. A trend starting to emerge here.....:D

Careful now!

can-of-worms.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

IvySlayer wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9WKgYMFm8dY1myA0qI56CYrzkOR0WXd3e-5-zMVHFlszyYCSL
    Yet he has struggled a lot and overall been a disappointment. He obviously has quality but whether he can reproduce his BVB form for Utd remains to be seen. He should be given a chance though obviously as he has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guarin not good enough for utd. Yes he will improve our cm but in the long run not good enough for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

But why does it have to be a long term thing?
    You say he would improve our midfield, then why not get him in on a short term deal - 2 or 3 years.
    Probably a little bit unfair on the player to use him as a stepping stone perhaps, but if we can get a player to improve our midfield, even if it is for only 12 or 18 months or whatever, why not get him.

Rome, a day and all that?

He's a good all rounder and oh yeah, he did this before from a DMF position before

His reaction is as good as the goal. Tbh its not a name that gets you too excited but when you consider he will be the enforcer (who can assist and score a bit better than what we have now) and Moyes will want a box to box type to compliment him its a bit more appealing, if what Graham Hunter says is true.

he certainly has an impressive shot on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Guarin not good enough for utd. Yes he will improve our cm but in the long run not good enough for utd

Beggers can't be choosers.

K4t wrote: »
    Yet he has struggled a lot and overall been a disappointment. He obviously has quality but whether he can reproduce his BVB form for Utd remains to be seen. He should be given a chance though obviously as he has potential.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he was a grade A player United went to Europe and signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Should we just bite the bullet and go see what Hargreaves is up to??Surely even he could improve this midfield on one leg... Oh what I'd give to have a younger, non injury prone mess Hargreaves in our midfield right now...

Has he retired?

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Should we just bite the bullet and go see what Hargreaves is up to??Surely even he could improve this midfield on one leg... Oh what I'd give to have a younger, non injury prone mess Hargreaves in our midfield right now...

Has he retired?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RobertKK wrote: »

Freddy Guarin is a terrible player. I'm not a United fan, but I do watch Inter a lot and I don't know where he gets praise from. Maybe it's because he has a "good" shot (sometimes), even if most of them hit row Z. Can't pass either. You'd do 10 times better to get Kovacic off Inter, now he'll be a star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Freddy Guarin is a terrible player. I'm not a United fan, but I do watch Inter a lot and I don't know where he gets praise from. Maybe it's because he has a "good" shot (sometimes), even if most of them hit row Z. Can't pass either. You'd do 10 times better to get Kovacic off Inter, now he'll be a star.

I haven't seen a lot of him myself but watching Inter playing Parma there on Setanta sports now (not live) I can see what you mean. He's made a few bullish tackles but almost lost the ball again straight away after each one, he seems like a lad that'll pick up a few cards easily enough as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

unfortunately, those type of signings happen alot at this club and will continue to happen under Moyes.

for all the world class players we signed such as Kagawa, RVP and De Gea, we have spend a shed load money on the likes of Bebe, Jones, Young, Buttner, even Valencia who lets be honest, would not get into many top CL sides, if any. Fellaini has alot to prove also.

id rather promote young lads like Janz, Powell, Cole, Jesse etc etc, than spending money on players like Young who in reality, offer feck all apart from taking away transfer funds from other bigger deals.

as to how Ferguson found it ok to authorise the Bebe deal, but then pulled out of the Hazard deal due to agent fees, ill never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

K4t wrote: »

Plenty of world class players have came to EPL and struggled . Doesn't take away from the fact United bought a top player from outside England.

unfortunately, those type of signings happen alot at this club and will continue to happen under Moyes.

for all the world class players we signed such as Kagawa, RVP and De Gea, we have spend a shed load money on the likes of Bebe, Jones, Young, Buttner, even Valencia who lets be honest, would not get into many top CL sides, if any. Fellaini has alot to prove also.

id rather promote young lads like Janz, Powell, Cole, Jesse etc etc, than spending money on players like Young who in reality, offer feck all apart from taking away transfer funds from other bigger deals.

as to how Ferguson found it ok to authorise the Bebe deal, but then pulled out of the Hazard deal due to agent fees, ill never understand.

hazard choose chelsea, and are you seriously putting jones in with those lads? and valencia more than paid back his price in his first few years.

like i dont get this united waste money on players. sure we have done but like if you looked back at city, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and pretty much ever team in the PL you would find some waste of spaces e.g. southampton bought forren for 3.5 million and let him go on a free within a year having made no senior debut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

http://www.tomcleverley23.com/

Red issue panning him on twitter, never knew he has his own site. It's laughable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's laughable?

What's laughable?

He is not really good enough to be starting his own brand. TC23 ala Bale, Ronaldo or Rooney etc.

Stick to the football for now Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What about Lallana from Soton, or even push the boat out for Barkley from Everton? Surely they would be attainable, and as young English players would at the very least retain most of their value.
    At least they have a presence in midfield and are generally in the thick of the action.

Still want to see Fellaini given a proper run in the team, as in start 4 or 5 matches in a row.

What's laughable?

The website?

Knew about it but never actually looked on it until the link there........... I get it, trying to brand himself etc, but he could have at least waited till he did something of note in the sport to start modelling himself as the next David Beckham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

It looks like even TC23 got bored with that site, not much updated since 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What about Lallana from Soton, or even push the boat out for Barkley from Everton? Surely they would be attainable, and as young English players would at the very least retain most of their value.
    At least they have a presence in midfield and are generally in the thick of the action.

Still want to see Fellaini given a proper run in the team, as in start 4 or 5 matches in a row.
    Barkley plays in the same position as rooney,already have Kagawa who is a much better player and he cant get his game.Barkley will be going for 30m+ when Everton sell him.
    Dont rate Lallana ,he has had a good season so far but wont improve the first XI much imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

TC23

WTF, he must think he's world class like some others in here :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

magnumbud wrote: »
    hazard choose chelsea

of course he did, when United didnt want to pay the agent fees. had United paid it, he would have signed for us. Fergie himself confirmed the fees story was true and how absurd it was. why on earth would a player sign for us, when we wouldnt meet his demands with another team ready to do so?

And are you seriously putting jones in with those lads?

yes. are you actually saying we didnt overpay for him? he cost over €20million. for that, he should be world class and he is no where near it. he wouldnt get in any other teams at the top of the game.

now, he is still young, can develop and can improve and has many good qualities, but he is very limited and having the likes of Jones in our team, is part of the reason (of which there are many) why our football quality has been sh*t for the past 3 or 4 years. in terms of actual football, he offers very little compared to what Rafael, Evans/Rio, Carrick/Giggs offer in his positions.

he does a job, but thats its and is a negative player, rather than the spark we need in CM.
    like i dont get this united waste money on players.

our structure has been in place for about 10 years now, with the long term investments in the likes of Rio, Carrick, rooney and more being the foundation of the team. we have multiple players who are with the club 6 years.

all we need each year is to top up our first 11 with 1, maybe 2 world class players and bring through young players, we didnt need the same level of investment the other teams needed as we had the players already.

id rather that money spend on young for example was spend on a midfielder with youngs place in the squad going to a young lad. even signing Butter and Henriquez and Powell made no sense, with players of equal ability in the youth ranks just bursting for games.

playing the likes of Giggs in CM, with Young on the wing would be part of the reason why Pogba would have left.

Januzaj is also a number 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Is there any chance of getting a few decent players in on loan this year? I think we can all agree that the players United really need can't be got in January. So what we need are some players to get us to the summer hopefully in a top 4 position.

What I really don't want us to do is buy in average players in January on long term contracts as a stop-gap until we get better players in the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement