Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bullvine wrote: »
    For a change we'll probably see some serious action in transfer market come January?

given the state of the midfield I would imagine the club are seriously looking at it - but I'd still question the ability to get the right business done, and not ment as a slight on United/Woodward/Moyes.

1. Top players likely CL-tied - likely a consideration for the club.
    2. Top players tough to replace meaning clubs even more reticent to sell.
    3. WC in 6 months, a lot of players would be against moving to a new country/league/team in case they don't adapt and lose their WC place.

January is a tough month to do business in.

I reckon Cabaye will be a major target in the Premier League, and not just for United. good player, PL proven and can play in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Probably end up with Baines...

bullvine wrote: »
    Probably end up with Baines...

Very very likely. or at least I am certain we are going to move for him.

Considering the injury to Fellaini will likely be dealt with in the new year, I would be surprised if we didn't at least try to strengthen there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Baines got destroyed friday night.

cabaye would be only ok signing.

Baines got destroyed friday night.

cabaye would be only ok signing.

Great players get destroyed, it happens. Off nights and bad games happen.

Evra used to be awesome 99/100 then one game it would be like debut vs City all over again! I wouldn't use Friday night against Baines, he has a much larger body of work to judge against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Never ****ing Shaw, always baines. Arggg

Headshot wrote: »
    Never ****ing Shaw, always baines. Arggg

Shaw is nailed on for Cheslea. nailed on. They want him, he's a chelsea fan, and exactly the right age when it comes to replacing Cole. nailed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Baines defending can be suspect at times. he is a much better attacker than defender and i wonder if the corners and free kicks he sends in are giving a false impression of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shaw is nailed on for Cheslea. nailed on. They want him, he's a chelsea fan, and exactly the right age when it comes to replacing Cole. nailed on.

ugh why do you destroy my dreams. You get to much fun out of it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Where does Witsel play? I see all the rumors circulating bout us and him after that interview he had recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Where does Witsel play? I see all the rumors circulating bout us and him after that interview he had recently

position? CM team? Zenit st petersburg.

He is class IMO so would be happy if it happened

magnumbud wrote: »

What typa CM be he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

What typa CM be he?

Usually plays relatively deep in the field,
    be very surprised if anyone apart from PSG gets him.

PSG have made their interest in him known and he has also stated that he dreams to play there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

What typa CM be he?

A very expensive one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

magnumbud wrote: »

He literally just moved there (a year ago), we were rumoured to be sniffing around that summer too weren't we then he went for a ridiculous fee to Russia

Cant see them letting him go cheap and I would rather spunk 40 million elsewhere do I do recognise what he could bring to the table. Fellaini has already been signed though, Carricks contract will surely be renewed, it is a creative player we need to be targeting in the middle, or even someone who can do both!

Usually plays relatively deep in the field,
    be very surprised if anyone apart from PSG gets him.

PSG have made their interest in him known and he has also stated that he dreams to play there. :rolleyes:

In Interview there said his dream was to move to a top PL side :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Express are reporting that Will Hughes is to join Liverpool in January for £12 million.

That's another one off the list so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

zerks wrote: »
    The Express are reporting that Will Hughes is to join Liverpool in January for £12 million.

Suspected he would go there when Wisdom went there on loan, good move for the kid given he will get plenty football there.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Good footballer with bags of potential but that is crazy money.

football will eat itself soon enough with these crazy fees for unproven talents.

big reset required.

• Advertisement

Hes a Liverpool fan, never had a chance to get him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Good footballer with bags of potential but that is crazy money.

football will eat itself soon enough with these crazy fees for unproven talents.

big reset required.

It's the opposite imo. Finding the best young players is what top clubs should be doing. United signed Ronaldo and Rooney for large fees when they were young and got great value. Porto have seemingly based their transfer policy on finding the best young players from south America and are having great success while a lot of other big clubs hold off on these players and wind up paying a large amount over their value.

Liam O wrote: »
    It's the opposite imo. Finding the best young players is what top clubs should be doing. United signed Ronaldo and Rooney for large fees when they were young and got great value. Porto have seemingly based their transfer policy on finding the best young players from south America and are having great success while a lot of other big clubs hold off on these players and wind up paying a large amount over their value.

Dont get me wrong he is a talent, but not in the Rooney/Ronaldo mold and there will always be big fees for that type of young player, but Hughes is not in that bracket imo.

£12mil is too much.

£5/£7mil tops for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Isn't he associated with or following the EDL in some capacity - well from what I've heard anyway. They can have him.

Isn't he associated with or following the EDL in some capacity - well from what I've heard anyway. They can have him.

EDL?? First I've heard of that.

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There was a screenshot of his Twitter where it showed he was following the EDL.

It was a screenshot though, so it might have been shopped or something.

• Advertisement

Heard that too - not looked into it at all.

Whatever about that - I personally would prefer we give Powell the chance we'd have to give that kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heard that too - not looked into it at all.

Whatever about that - I personally would prefer we give Powell the chance we'd have to give that kid.

Powell is going well on loan,bodes well for the future.No point buying a similar player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Powell is going well on loan,bodes well for the future.No point buying a similar player.

He is playing more as a striker though isn't he? Or am I imagining that? A second striker even

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    He is playing more as a striker though isn't he? Or am I imagining that? A second striker even

He is between midfield and striker at the moment, playing similarly to how he played with Crewe I think. Has played as a striker in a lot of games early on as Wigan have had a fair few injuries amongst strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Baines defending can be suspect at times. he is a much better attacker than defender and i wonder if the corners and free kicks he sends in are giving a false impression of him?
    Just had a similar conversation with someone in the last hour about full backs in England at the moment. Very hard to pick out any full back who is a better defender than attacker at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just had a similar conversation with someone in the last hour about full backs in England at the moment. Very hard to pick out any full back who is a better defender than attacker at the moment.

Valencia seems a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Apparently.... Barcelona are rumoured to be looking at a surprise move for Dimitar Berbatov in January because of Messi's injuries lately.

I can confirm it isn't the 1st of April today, I already checked.

Personally I think it would be great, even though there's probably zero chance of it happening.

Apparently.... Barcelona are rumoured to be looking at a surprise move for Dimitar Berbatov in January because of Messi's injuries lately.

I can confirm it isn't the 1st of April today, I already checked.

Personally I think it would be great, even though there's probably zero chance of it happening.

They where linked with Samaras before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And Gary Breen

summary of who is involved in games tonight -

should give a clearly picture of who starts on sunday (outside of injuries) though of course Cleverly and Fellani are nailed on to play as Carrick & Jones are injured :(

Patrice Evra: FRANCE v Ukraine (0-2)
    Nani: Sweden v PORTUGAL (0-1), 19:45

Friendlies
    Wayne Rooney, Chris Smalling, Tom Cleverley: ENGLAND v Germany

Marouane Fellaini, Shinji Kagawa: BELGIUM v JAPAN

Antonio Valencia: Honduras v ECUADOR, 02:00 on 20 Nov

Under-21s Euro 2015 qualifying
    Michael Keane, Wilfried Zaha, Jesse Lingard, Nick Powell: ENGLAND U21s v San Marino, 18:00
    And Gary Breen

that was Inter Milan i thought?

that was Inter Milan i thought?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

hey guys. have some news from football world to keep ye going through international week.

-I know for a fact utd in advanced talks with southampton re lallana. was very surprsied to hear this myself. i suppose moyes sees him playing inside left as noone has really made that position there own. no idea on what fee we are talking. i would say slight chance it happens in jan with a good chance of a transfer next summer.

-rooneys agent has not spoken to utd re a new contract at all. nothing will happen until after the world cup according to him. i feel overall he is prob a slight favourite to stay but the contract will be huge. something like £50m gross over the 4 years. will be a serious investment.

-luke shaw as has been said on this forum is a huge chelsea fan. main reason he wouldnt go to utd though is he doesnt wanna move up north as he just bought his parents a house down south. as far as i know chelsea will go for him next summer but southampton will want £15m plus as Spurs bid £10 this summer and was turned down.

-been all over the news anyway but Zaha will definitely go on loan. looks like fulham, newcastle and swansea are main three clubs. with meulensteen gone to fulham would like to see him there for 6 months.

thats about all for the moment will update again in a couple of weeks if i have any news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That's not an issue at all. We have players who are/were Arsenal, Liverpool fans.

unplayable wrote: »
    hey guys. have some news from football world to keep ye going through international week.

-I know for a fact utd in advanced talks with southampton re lallana. was very surprsied to hear this myself. i suppose moyes sees him playing inside left as noone has really made that position there own. no idea on what fee we are talking. i would say slight chance it happens in jan with a good chance of a transfer next summer.

-rooneys agent has not spoken to utd re a new contract at all. nothing will happen until after the world cup according to him. i feel overall he is prob a slight favourite to stay but the contract will be huge. something like £50m gross over the 4 years. will be a serious investment.

-luke shaw as has been said on this forum is a huge chelsea fan. main reason he wouldnt go to utd though is he doesnt wanna move up north as he just bought his parents a house down south. as far as i know chelsea will go for him next summer but southampton will want £15m plus as Spurs bid £10 this summer and was turned down.

-been all over the news anyway but Zaha will definitely go on loan. looks like fulham, newcastle and swansea are main three clubs. with meulensteen gone to fulham would like to see him there for 6 months.

thats about all for the moment will update again in a couple of weeks if i have any news.
    lallana? LALLANA? What a wonderfully average signing that would be. An Ashley Young, Stewart Downing type signing. If that is true... FOM!

lallana? LALLANA? What a wonderfully average signing that would be. An Ashley Young, Stewart Downing type signing. If that is true... FOM!

you cant really blame Moyes, these are the signings that United normally do ie the best players from non top sides, RVP and kagawa being two exceptions, you could argue berba being a 3rd exception but going back 10 years, we rarely sign super stars and Southampton certainly fit the bill for the type of clubs we sign players from.

we sign players from the likes of Fulham, Wigan, Villa, Blackburn, Everton and Moyes is carrying this on perhaps so signing him would be no surprise, however i dont think it would happen - a center back, a midfielder and a left back will be our next 3 signings IMO but sods law would suggest that we get the CB and LB in January :(.

would love for us for once, just to go out and sign proper world class players who are playing year in, year out in the CL like RVP and just get done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Unplayable was right on the Carrick thing, lets see how many of these stories come to pass.

Lallana is a winger/attacking midfeilder. He has a lot of promise. He would be a better player than Clev and Powell imo. Due to his and Southamptons good form he got his first England call up with a couple of team mates and could play tonight also. He got good reviews for his preformance on Friday.

Not a marquee signing but not a bad one either.

The pros are he is young and English. Eevn though he is EPL proven he falls under the potential category. Interesting.

you cant really blame Moyes, these are the signings that United normally do ie the best players from non top sides, RVP and kagawa being two exceptions, you could argue berba being a 3rd exception but going back 10 years, we rarely sign super stars and Southampton certainly fit the bill for the type of clubs we sign players from.

we sign players from the likes of Fulham, Wigan, Villa, Blackburn, Everton and Moyes is carrying this on perhaps so signing him would be no surprise, however i dont think it would happen - a center back, a midfielder and a left back will be our next 3 signings IMO but sods law would suggest that we get the CB and LB in January :(.

would love for us for once, just to go out and sign proper world class players who are playing year in, year out in the CL like RVP and just get done with it.
    I don't mind signing players from 'lower' sides. Would happily take Shaw from Southampton. Would gladly bring Morrison back from West Ham, Cabaye from Newcastle, Benteke from Villa off the top of my head. I just see Lallana as an utterly average target if true.

Moyes has said the squad is fine, the first 11 needs improving. IMO, Lallana wouldn't significantly improve the United first 11.

And yes, I would blame Moyes. I don't care what our transfer policy was before him (and Woodward). It is a new era of management at United and we should not be relying on old policies, particularly as the football landscape has changed so much in the last 10 years.

Unplayable was right on the Carrick thing, lets see how many of these stories come to pass.

Lallana is a winger/attacking midfeilder. He has a lot of promise. He would be a better player than Clev and Powell imo. Due to his and Southamptons good form he got his first England call up with a couple of team mates and could play tonight also. He got good reviews for his preformance on Friday.

Not a marquee signing but not a bad one either.

The pros are he is young and English. Eevn though he is EPL proven he falls under the potential category. Interesting.
    If he was 20/21 I would agree re. his promise. He will be 26 in May. He should really be reaching the peak of his ability/potential at this point. I don't see the scope for massive improvement at this point, so don't see the point in signing him UNLESS we are selling a number of wingers and he will be backup to some much better player - unless we are signing him as squad player to replace a squad player. A replacement for Young, for example, while also having a much better left sided option as first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

lallana? LALLANA? If that is true... FOM!

Moyes has said the squad is fine, the first 11 needs improving. IMO, Lallana wouldn't significantly improve the United first 11.

And yes, I would blame Moyes.

And were off again. No idea if the story is true, no idea how much potential Lallana has, no idea if he would work out for us, no idea if its one mf out of a couple Moyes plans to sign but yeah FOM, I blame you. Shessssssssssesh.

there is nothing earth shattering in there at all, apart from Lalllana it has all been discussed before -

Rooney to look for new contract.
    Shaw to go to Chelsea.
    Zaha to go on loan in January.

all 3 of those, have been discussed at lenght on here already many times , though if the Lallana one comes through then fair play to him. would expect it to pop up somewhere in the next few weeks.

And were off again. No idea if the story is true, no idea how much potential Lallana has, no idea if he would work out for us, no idea if its one mf out of a couple Moyes plans to sign but yeah FOM, I blame you. Shessssssssssesh.

Does't matter if the story is true, the discussion is based specifically on it being true.

No idea how much potential he has? Jesus C.... he is 25, we can have a fair idea of his potential, enough to discuss it.

No idea if it would work out - sure that is the same for every transfer EVER so I suppose for you we should remove Gossip/Rumours part of the thread. No point discussing what could happen in the future - no one can possibly know.

Blaming Moyes? A direct response to Homer saying you can't blame Moyes cause it is the type of signing we'd have made under Fergie. Fergie is no longer the boss - Moyes is responsible for the transfer policies of the club now so yes, 'blaming' Moyes is completely correct in this context.

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.

I cant wait for my mate who knows very little about players like Lallana to go mental if we sign him :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hmm. I'd rate Lallana higher than average tbh. Not that I would sign him, but he's better than that.

Surprised the proof guys arent on yet demanding phone records and factual evidence :D

• Advertisement

I cant wait for my mate who knows very little about players like Lallana to go mental if we sign him :pac:

id be happy with players like Lallana, but ONLY if it meant the likes of Young were to be sold to sign him.
    Surprised the proof guys arent on yet demanding phone records and factual evidence :D

they only do that when its a negative story ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement