Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

lawrence-carlisle.gif?w=900
    This was a goodun. Tom Lawerence. Quite similar to giggs' v arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Na, nothing impressive there. Should have just fouled him anyway

*touches nose, knowingly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I posted it last week.

RVP's absence is having a major impact (more than some appreciate) if lasts years stats are to be believed.

Baz1BUQCIAA_4wj.png:large

^^thats a crazy overall contribute ^^

I remember that chart now. Yeah, RvP was important, but not so important that we should think that the team weren't very good without him.

Here's the league positions of all the teams last year (on the 5th of March) when the top scorers' points won were removed from each:
    Bale+Effect.jpg

The season previous to RvP's arrival Rooney scored 27 league goals and this season he is off to a flyer with 10 goals and 10 assists so far. Sure RvP's absence could explain us dropping one or two places in the table, but not this shít we are currently in. Even before he got injured we were already down in fifth and had lost at home to WBA and drawn with Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Didnt realise villa were relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Didnt realise villa were relegated

It's from the 5th of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's from the 5th of March.

i should learn to read. d'oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does not rule out move for any player. Just if United dont get what they want for right price they wont go for that player.

Although in past our price valuation has been awful few times.
    Howard Nurse ‏@howardnurse 1m I'm told no panic signings by #MUFC in January with club ready to wait until summer if main targets not available next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Does not rule out move for any player. Just if United dont get what they want for right price they wont go for that player.

I wonder what Moyes version of no value in the transfer market will be

Headshot wrote: »
    I wonder what Moyes version of no value in the transfer market will be

Thats the million dollar question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Shearer said about City tonight, winning comfortably and still looking for more, sounds like United of old.

• Advertisement

Be very nice if Moyes could adapt his mentality to going for the juggler rather then protecting what we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It sickens me really, we didn't even have to spend crazy money like City. Smart buys to replace people leaving/ageing was all that was needed, now we'll need to spend a fortune to get back in the mix IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

@manutd wrote:
    David Moyes reveals #mufc were very close to making a "major, major signing" in the summer. More: http://bit.ly/1bFIfIe

Bale?

Fabregas.

maybe Thiago

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Originally Posted by @manutd
    David Moyes reveals #mufc were very close to making a "major, major signing" in the summer. More: http://bit.ly/1bFIfIe

Had to be Cristiano Ronaldo surely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What the **** does it matter? The summer is over, move on.

Think it was Thiago

Don't think we were close to signing Fabregas, even though I think he could have been transferred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I reckon it was Leon Osman

Seeing 33/1 around on us winning league looks weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

kryogen wrote: »
    Be very nice if Moyes could adapt his mentality to going for the juggler rather then protecting what we have

reverse-1280217983_ozil-chewing-gum-juggling.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Would Thiago be classed as a major major signing though?

Would Thiago be classed as a major major signing though?

I think he said we were never in for him, or something to that effect when asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

It was Messi lads, cant prove it though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

The official twitter accounts for teams are cringey as fcuk, I even had to stop following the Liverpool one it was so bad, but for the Utd one to tweet that you almost signed a major player is absolutely embarrassing.

It kinda says to the fans, "don't worry whether Moyes is good enough to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world, sure he almost signed a major player." As if that's something to boast about or is information that will ease fans fears.

It was Messi lads, cant prove it though :P

It was written in the football bible by the gods

Manchester-United-300x223.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Why do people often mention Ozil as if it was a huge mistake not to buy him? Buying him, would have been the mistake long term imo.

We have Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj to play in the no.10 role yet people wanted to spend £42m on Ozil? Yes he might be better than any of those players in that particular role but would he have improved the team enough to warrant that fee? No, imo, the team would still have basic flaws (playing style, LB and CM)

It also would have been a potential stumbling block to Januzaj's development at the club. Would he have signed a new contract had he been given many less chances due to Ozil playing? Possibly not.

Imo it's lazy to jump to the conclusion that Utd missed a trick by not signing Ozil and I can only laugh at the majority of pundits that push that view.

What the **** does it matter? The summer is over, move on.

This x100000

I don't know what context he is making that comment in but ffs what kind of a nothing comment is that to make?

We were very very close? Oh that's great to hear! The world looks a little bit brighter now with that knowledge

Embarassing.

This x100000

I don't know what context he is making that comment in but ffs what kind of a nothing comment is that to make?

We were very very close? Oh that's great to hear! The world looks a little bit brighter now with that knowledge

Embarassing.

I presume it's to tell people (again) that United ARE in for the biggest names and DO have the money to spend.

Blatter wrote: »
    I presume it's to tell people (again) that United ARE in for the biggest names and DO have the money to spend.

My reaction would be the same

• Advertisement

My reaction would be the same

Yes, I agree, it's a bit embarrassing.

Goes to show what kind of pressure he's feeling at the minute. Looks like he's coming out with all of this to in an attempt to earn some brownie points with the fans. ''I'm highly ambitious, I swear''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He's beginning to sound like the drunk at the bar that swears he nearly shagged a supermodel once. He'll still be banging on about it in five years time.

Also whoever is in charge of the Twitter account is an absolute muppet for tweeting these kind of stories.
    “We were close to a couple of really major signings. I’ve got to say, Ed [Woodward, executive vice chairman] worked really hard trying to make those signings happen.

And we still didn't sign the 'major major' player. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It was clearly Bale he was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We paid near enough £30 million for that yoke, Fellaini, we can't complain about valuations after that. Every club is going to look to take the piss if United come after one of their players..

It was clearly Bale he was talking about.

I would say it was pretty clearly a lie if that was the case

Bale to Madrid was as nailed on as Ronaldo to Madrid a few years previous

God I hope we weren't going to spend Ronaldo money on Bale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I would say it was pretty clearly a lie if that was the case

Bale to Madrid was as nailed on as Ronaldo to Madrid a few years previous

I have seen it mentioned in loads of places.

Perez said we had put in a huge bid and Bale's agent hinted that was the case also.

I have seen it mentioned a few different places.

Perez said we had put in a huge bid and Bale's agent hinted that was the case also.

Putting in a bid for a player is a long way from being very very close to a signing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thank **** we didn't sign Bale,good player but would have been such a waste of 100m.100m spent in the summer on 3 players would have solved a lot of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

God I hope we weren't going to spend Ronaldo money on Bale

Lmao ronaldo money oh lord jaysus that's long gone with the glazers.united would never in a million years spend that big one one player.keep smoking the pipe chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watching SSN with my breakfast and looking forward to the Utd match Sky came up with " Utd will avoid dropping into the bottom half of the table if they can avoid a 3 goal or worse defeat", followed by the news that Clark sacked by WBA who only have 3 wins this season, while showing footage of them beating Utd at Old Trafford.

A huge serving of reality with my breakfast and a quite depressing one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Watching the Sunday supplement. They confirmed that they were told by Moyes that united had an offer for Bale and the player turned down the move.

Also, interesting to see Gary Neville advocating moyes been given time, irrespective of this season, just as every other united manager has been given. How much of that is based on football rather then family loyalty however is up for dispute

Football, Neville has always been big on the heritage and history of United

Football, Neville has always been big on the heritage and history of United

Having his brother there on the staff surely compromises his opinion though? PNev was Moyes's appointment. If Moyes goes, so does Phil.

Neville as a pundit does an excellent job of giving a balanced view, but I don't think he's ever likely to come out advocating a change given the repercussions for his brother

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Watching the Sunday supplement. They confirmed that they were told by Moyes that united had an offer for Bale and the player turned down the move.

Also, interesting to see Gary Neville advocating moyes been given time, irrespective of this season, just as every other united manager has been given. How much of that is based on football rather then family loyalty however is up for dispute

What journalists were on SS out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Football first with Nev...

Having his brother there on the staff surely compromises his opinion though? PNev was Moyes's appointment. If Moyes goes, so does Phil.

Neville as a pundit does an excellent job of giving a balanced view, but I don't think he's ever likely to come out advocating a change given the repercussions for his brother

I don't think so, that's my honest opinion. Gary has never shirked giving an honest assessment. I don't think Phil being on the staff compromises it at all.

I don't think so, that's my honest opinion. Gary has never shirked giving an honest assessment. I don't think Phil being on the staff compromises it at all.

I don't know, I think he's shirked on ripping into Joe Hart a couple of times relative to how he treated de Gea after the Spurs game last season.

I don't know, I think he's shirked on ripping into Joe Hart a couple of times relative to how he treated de Gea after the Spurs game last season.

Fair point

What I meant was that I don't think something like Phil being on the coaching set up at United would stop him giving his honest assessment. Something like Gary being part of the England coaching set up could certainly compromise his opinion on players however, such as the Joe Hart one.

Poor phrasing on my part.

What journalists were on SS out of interest?

John Richardson, matt Dickinson, Shaun custis. I don't know who said what, as I wouldn't recognise which one is which
    Football first with Nev...

Its a difficult one, I just find it difficult to see him advocating Moyes's sacking if it means his brother gone too. Having said that, if he was in favour of a managerial change, he'd probably say nothing or remain neutral on it, rather then coming out for or against. Certainly I'd doubt he'd come out in support if he felt otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's only natural I suppose.

Whoever was commentating with him on the United match during the week said something about Jones. He started it by saying to Gary, "You don't have to comment on this but..."

I don't think he should have both jobs. He can't go all out.

I'm pretty sure that if he didn't have the England role then he would have lambasted Hart on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement