Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

If we get 3 wins v West Ham, Hull and Norwich (easier said than done i know) then things will tighten up again at the top because in before xmas some of the other games are Arsenal v Chelsea / City v Liverpool / Chelsea v Liverpool / Newcastle v Arsenal / Southampton v Chelsea . A lot of our rivals will drop points in that time so we could start to climb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

RasTa wrote: »
    Powell on the score sheet again for Wigan. Has he turned into another #10?

I think he's always been a no. 10

Would be nice if he could play a bit deeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus surprised at the negativity towards the performance.
    I thought Utd started off as we've seen the whole season, lethargic and sloppy but once the first goal went in they were more or less in total control.
    Played some decent football, albeit against a poor Villa team but they probably aren't the worst side we have played this season and haven't got that result or performance.

Thought Welbeck led the line brilliantly and played very well despite being the Villa defenders trying to kick him off the park. Cleverley I thought also played really well in the centre. I understand that they are not everyones cup of tea but I would like to think they went a little way to showing why they are worth their place at least in the squad and can be useful players. Welbeck especially has bags of natural ability, pace and close control. We all know his finishing has been poor.
    Rooney was also excellent,especially in the first half where he was playing that quarter back style roll. Valencia played week too against an isolated poor left back.

The negatives, Evra was poor really really poor, which was so disappointing especially after the interview he gave. His days really have to numbered at this stage.
    Giggs was also really poor in the centre, constantly giving the ball away.

Fantastic to see Fletcher back again. The cynic and perhaps realist in me says we will never see the old Fletcher back again but its an inditement of our midfield problems that even a 70% Fletcher would be a huge bonus for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Nope, today was much better and we created lot more chances than we did all season against any team in the league.

Poorer opposition who won against City at Villa park this season IIRC?

How hard is it to say "played well today"..

Nope, In your opinion

And what does that have to do with the game today?

Villa were very poor today IMO and we played the exact same way as we have for most of this season except that it worked out today whereas it hasn't in a lot of other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Played well, particular positives for me were Rooney playing that 10 position like a attacking midfielder rather than a striker, makes a big difference as it gives the MF an option. Clev played well as a result, which was also the case in midweek when he came in.
    Rooney himself looked a class apart, the pitch revolved around him, Scholesesque.
    Valencia was good, incisive, helped by Rafael being such a threat.
    Welbeck was very good, great link up besides the goals.
    Januzaj again showed he has that x factor, the way he carries the ball, he's such a threat, draws fouls, great outlet. The way he roams too is a great help to the midfield.

Interested to hear Fletch's health status, he was very, very good when he came on and if reliable fitness wise is exactly what we need.

By the by Moyes knew exactly what he was doing trying to replace Evra, he was abysmal again today, he's an accident waiting to happen every single game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Wellbeck is not a poor player he does some great stuff in build up play but unlike today he has some dreadful finishing and passes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nope, In your opinion

Villa were very poor today IMO and we played the exact same way as we have for most of this season except that it worked out today whereas it hasn't in a lot of other games.

So we played today like we did against Newcastle and Everton? Ok.

Same **** every season, ManUtd will never play well it's always opposition who will turn poor on that day..

And what does that have to do with the game today? Well Villa are a decent opposition at home and we made them look poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Nope, In your opinion

We passed the ball way better today than we have recently. We couldnt pass water against newcastle last week. Much less of the long ball out of defence as well today. Our wing play especially on the right wing was way more productive than at any stage this season . Evra and Giggs were the only disappointing performers today

Headshot wrote: »
    Very disappointing we didnt score more goals against an awful team. At least its an easy 3 points

Very hard to tell whether you are taking the piss or not a lot of the time.

I'd love to see Utd throw in a bid to spurs for Sandro. He's someone who could really improve us in the middle.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

There were some very good passages of play today with one touch passes which we haven't seen for a while. It should be a big boost to the confidence. Imo rooney was very good dropped deep. He is the only one with the vision and accuracy to ping balls out to the wings and see through balls quickly. His ability to do that kept villa deeper and stretched them a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    Very hard to tell whether you are taking the piss or not a lot of the time.
    That is the enigma that is headshot.

But regarding your question nope not taking the piss, we are up against a dreadful team and should have scored a few more goals. Welbeck should of at least got a hatrick. They also took the foot off the peddle which I dislike alot in soccer.

So we played today like we did against Newcastle and Everton? Ok.

Same **** every season, ManUtd will never play well it's always opposition who will turn poor on that day..

And what does that have to do with the game today? Well Villa are a decent opposition at home and we made them look poor.

Did you miss the part where I said most or intentionally read what you wanted to read? Ok.

You obviously haven't a clue, villa have lost 5 at home and only lost 2 away having played the same amount of games. It was even mentioned in the buildup of how poor they have been at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thats Welbecks first goals since August.

Lets not get too carried away.

Above avrrage performance but we did not create huge amount. Just took the ones we got.

Did you miss the part where I said most or intentionally read what you wanted to read? Ok.

You obviously haven't a clue, villa have lost 5 at home and only lost 2 away having played the same amount of games. It was even mentioned in the buildup of how poor they have been at home.

You said nothing except how we played today like we played all games this season which is wrong. Today was much much better and it was plain for everyone to see.

Created many chances and then just dropped back at the end when the game was almost over.

Above avrrage performance but we did not create huge amount. Just took the ones we got.

Let's be realistic though. We have been terrible all season in the premiership and this performance is at the very least a step in the right direction.

Who's getting carried away? If anything Im surprised by the amount of posters underwhelmed by the score and result.

Agree that it was an above average performance but its just not true that we didn't create a lot and only took the chances we did create. I can remember Welbeck and Rooney both pulling shots wide of the left post when more or less through on goal, Welbeck trying that chip that went over the bar, Cleverley having a shot saved by the keeper when clean in too and thats just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quandary wrote: »
    Let's be realistic though. We have been terrible all season in the premiership and this performance is at the very least a step in the right direction.

Does it count be against one of the worse teams in the PL? Villa's way of playing also helps utd alot.

Im not getting that excited. Kew's post is dead on

You said nothing except how we played today like we played all games this season which is wrong. Today was much much better and it was plain for everyone to see.

Created many chances and then just dropped back at the end when the game was almost over.

I didn't say that, again reading what you want to read.

And again, in your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was obvious we were better today. Valencia and Rafael haven't jelled like that at all this year.

Villa have somehow managed to beat Arsenal and City this season

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    It was obvious we were better today. Valencia and Rafael haven't jelled like that at all this year.

I`m finding it bizarre the post match reactions on here and I`m the one still calling for Moyes head!

adox wrote: »
    Who's getting carried away? If anything Im surprised by the amount of posters underwhelmed by the score and result.

Agree that it was an above average performance but its just not true that we didn't create a lot and only took the chances we did create. I can remember Welbeck and Rooney both pulling shots wide of the left post when more or less through on goal, Welbeck trying that chip that went over the bar, Cleverley having a shot saved by the keeper when clean in too and thats just off the top of my head.

Thats cause they were all the chances we created with Rooney in first half another.

Yes im happy and improvement but needs to get better

It's still basically the exact same brand of football we've been playing all season but against poorer opposition than usual.

Hopefully the result is a confidence boost.

Nope, In your opinion

I didn't say that, again reading what you want to read.

And again, in your opinion.

OK. I assumed it.

OK. I assumed it.

You just highlighted how you were wrong?

Headshot wrote: »
    Does it count be against one of the worse teams in the PL? Villa's way of playing also helps utd alot.

Im not getting that excited. Kew's post is dead on

We're not going to all of a sudden go from being terrible to being great. we have to start somewhere. I was also pleased to see we didn't sit back too much in the 2nd half.

So many players are low on confidence. The team needed this performance despite the quality of the opposition.

I'm gonna say yes it does count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

How many times has he played up front since August?

Thats cause they were all the chances we created with Rooney in first half another.

Yes im happy and improvement but needs to get better

Two of those chances were in the second half if I remember correctly but even so, what does it matter? You said we didn't creat anything besides the goal chances?

I know Im being pedantic.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Well I enjoyed that.

Positives:

- Welbeck, when played, should be played up front. No more of this stuff on the wing. Seems to be at his best when he is given less time to think and he becomes more instinctive. Should bode well for him while Van Persie is injured. Let's give him a run and as Ferguson always said "young players can surprise you"

- Rooneys form continues. Another good performance from him and the difference in his mood (especially with refs) is noticeable. While still firey, he certainly acts more like the captain we always believed he could be. Moyes, sign him up.

- First half from Januajz was good, but he dropped out of the game in the second. Still, see no reason why this guy will be the reason we dont have to enter the market to get another winger. A big positive for Moyes with fans was having the guts to play him. Onward and upward.

- Rafael. Beast.

- Jones was excellent at centre back. Again, like Welbeck, I hope this performance helps his claim to make that position his. (After our midfield is patched up of course) I didn't realise we have not been beaten once Evans and himself were paired.

- Valencia had a decent game, but we shouldn't hold out breath with that one. Fully expect him to revert to type once he does not come up against Luna, who had a nightmare.

- FLETCH IS BACK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

win 3-0 away from home and still groaning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

nuxxx wrote: »
    win 3-0 away from home and still groaning

Ive been critical of how we have played all season and how the manager has acted but we have got a good away win today no matter what the opposition was.

3-0 is never a bad result it will do the team nothing but good and build some much need confidence. Even more so some of the players who have been under alot of pressure and under performing had good games and got on score sheet today.

Was a good performance around the pitch in different areas today nothing amazing but its at the very least a positive week for the team which we should be thankful for giving how things have gone so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Villa were poor... Because United pressed them hard and ran them off the pitch. Which is to say, good performance from the lads today, enjoyed that.

That goal today meant a lot to Cleverley. His celebration was great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Quandary wrote: »
    That goal today meant a lot to Cleverley. His celebration was great to see.

Amazing what a bit of Twitter abuse will do :P Nice to see the finger pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The most noticeable thing today was how confident the team became after the first goal.

It's confidence, not quality, causing the recent malaise.

Obviously tactics play a part, but the level we were playing at over the last while had little to do with quality or ability or even tactics. It was a total lack of confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

God as much as i hate to admit it Suarez is something else another great goal there.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Welbeck and Cleverley. There have been a lot of gobshítes calling for those two to be sold and today won't change their opinion. But at least the two lads have had a bit of fun and reward for their hard work.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Delighted for Welbeck and Cleverley. There have been a lot of gobshítes calling for those two to be sold and today won't change their opinion. But at least the two lads have had a bit of fun and reward for their hard work.

Yeah it was great to see Welbeck and Cleverley playing well. Cleverley's celebrations said it all how much it means to him.

Loved Welbeck's performance, he could have had 2 assists for 2 flicks which created 2 very good chances. Maybe RVP's injury is blessing in disguise for him or maybe he will be moved to left wing again once Kagawa starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Why are people gob****es for wanting Cleverley and Welbeck sold? Two very average players. Reward for hard work?, Cleverley has come out and basically said he has only had 2 good games this season (Swansea, Fulham)

For the record I wouldn't sell them either as we have a very poor squad at the minute we couldn't afford to get rid

Its about time Welbeck and to lesser Cleverly played well. One game does not make a summer.

They are still over par

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how long the Welbeck love lasts this time, it was one day after the Swansea game.

Apparently 1 good game in every 15 he plays proves the "haterz" wrong :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how long the Welbeck love lasts this time, it was one day after the Swansea game.

Apparently 1 good game in every 15 he plays proves the "haterz" wrong :rolleyes:

One good game in his favourite position, 14 games out of position.

Just seen this mentioned on another forum, but did you know that we had five starters in the team today that didn't cost a penny?

- Danny Welbeck

- Tom Cleverly

- Jonny Evans

- Adan Janujaz

- Ryan Giggs

- Could also count in Rafael and Darren Fletcher as the others really, though there was like a nominal fee for Rafael and of course, Fletch came on. Still, quite impressive that.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Why are people gob****es for wanting Cleverley and Welbeck sold? Two very average players. Reward for hard work?, Cleverley has come out and basically said he has only had 2 good games this season (Swansea, Fulham)

For the record I wouldn't sell them either as we have a very poor squad at the minute we couldn't afford to get rid

Yes reward for hard work. They both work hard every time they play and they both obviously love the club and are doing their best to improve themselves and help their team.

So what if Cleverley has criticised his own performances? To say his performances have been of an average standard this season is completely fair. The whole squad except for Rooney, DDG and maybe RvP have been the exact same - average. Nothing wrong with Cleverley pointing out that he needs to improve his own performance.

And the average performances don't mean the pair of them haven't been working hard on the pitch. They have.

The reason the people who want the pair sold are gobshítes is because we have seen countless examples of how the players who the fans think are "only average" are important at United when they are committed and professional, just like these two are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yes, every team needs "average" players, today shows why. They chip in, they never moan about not playing or playing out of position, they don't cost much, you can count on their performance to be, well, average. Sometimes better than that.

Phil Neville, John O'Shea. Never world beaters, but essential cogs at a club like United. you can't have 15 or 20 worldies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Yes reward for hard work. They both work hard every time they play and they both obviously love the club and are doing their best to improve themselves and help their team.

So what if Cleverley has criticised his own performances? To say his performances have been of an average standard this season is completely fair. The whole squad except for Rooney, DDG and maybe RvP have been the exact same - average. Nothing wrong with Cleverley pointing out that he needs to improve his own performance.

And the average performances don't mean the pair of them haven't been working hard on the pitch. They have.

The reason the people who want the pair sold are gobshítes is because we have seen countless examples of how the players who the fans think are "only average" are important at United when they are committed and professional, just like these two are.

So do you think Cleverely and Welbeck deserve to start the big games for Man United . Do you honestly think these 2 players will push us over the line when we need it most?

The sooner Welbeck and Clevs are only last resort backups to United the better IMO.

The sooner Welbeck and Clevs are only last resort backups to United the better IMO.

I can't believe some people have this attitude, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Amen to that. Most opposition fans I know rejoice when they're starting against them.

Corvo wrote: »
    I can't believe some people have this attitude, honestly.

And what do you believe then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Personally, felt that the game was...

0-10 minutes - All Villa with them getting multiple shots on target.
    10-20 minutes - All us with us getting two goals.
    20-45 minutes - Mostly us, as they lost all confidence and we enjoyed possession.
    45-60 minutes - Mostly us again, scoring another goal.
    60-90 minutes - Mostly them, as we sat back, getting the odd counter attack, but letting them control most of the possession.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement