Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad areas in Cork city - mainly douglas street

• 11-11-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey,

I'm looking to move into Douglas street within the week and curious of the area. Ive rang the Garda Station nearby and he was wary of the area but does anyone have a first hand perspective?

People being jumped at night? Save to walk home in the dark? Junkies? Scum drinking nearby stopping people etc?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Ritchiii wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking to move into Douglas street within the week and curious of the area. Ive rang the Garda Station nearby and he was wary of the area but does anyone have a first hand perspective?

People being jumped at night? Save to walk home in the dark? Junkies? Scum drinking nearby stopping people etc?

Cheers!
    Douglas St is ok,I lived near there before, just watch out for Rutland St off Douglas St and there is another(white st?) across from the Gables Bar.
    OK in the day time dodge at night..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ritchiii

The house is right on the corner between douglas and white street near that graffiti carpark... Im guessing its a no go then? The house is so cheap though would it really be worth it? Any opinions on Ballyphehane area?

Ballyphehane can be hit and miss,have you a car or are you restricted the living in the City ?
    A couple of things to watch out for renting in Cork is dampness and poor letting agency's.

I'm without a car just bicycle at the moment. City centre locations would be ideal but from what I can see theres not many. Tower street and Nicholas street are other housings but they're all in the similiar area.

douglas st isnt bad just watch those streets late at night.
    Dont want to throw the thread off topic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Same as anywhere just be wary of walking down dark unlit sidestreets

Does anyone in Cork not walk through dark streets to get to their home though? Are ye saying avoid the area or avoid certain streets and take another street to get to my house on Douglas street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No im just saying be aware. Bit of sense while your walking

By sense you mean to or not to walk down a certain street right? Otherwise I don't get what good sense will do you walking into unknown danger. Its just a risk towards my partner I'm worried about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The house is right on the corner between douglas and white street near that graffiti carpark... Im guessing its a no go then? The house is so cheap though would it really be worth it? Any opinions on Ballyphehane area?

This incident was probably a one off and might not happen again.See here.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/spanish-man-recovering-after-assault-with-golf-club-by-gang-181376.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not a fan of Douglas Street at all, tbh. I don't like it at any time of the day!

The White Street car park attracts a lot of youths drinking, and winos/junkies seem to like it too. I wouldn't walk down there at night myself.

Then again, I'm quite a wuss so that's a factor. But I wouldn't live there.

One of the pieces in that article you sent mentioned its not the first attack down this area. I think Ill give it a miss for now. Shame, nice house and cheap price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

One of the pieces in that article you sent mentioned its not the first attack down this area. I think Ill give it a miss for now. Shame, nice house and cheap price.

I lived in white street for 3 years.
    Never had any hassle at all.
    Used to walk up to the fionnbarra on Douglas street and back many times.
    Yes you may need to be a bit aware of your surroundings but it's not a dangerous place IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lived on Douglas street a few years back and would be of the opinion that its one of the nicest areas to live, Never had any trouble myself and used regular walk back there between 1 and 3 am.

Unless it has gone way downhill in the last 3 years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Lived on Douglas street a few years back and would be of the opinion that its one of the nicest areas to live, Never had any trouble myself and used regular walk back there between 1 and 3 am.

i lived there 7 years ago, and to be honest i never had a seconds hassle walking back there at 2am or after,

so again unless its gone downhill in recent years, the only problems we had were parking related...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Lived in the area for a number of years and never had trouble.

I will say though, keep your eyes open when walking around there late at night. I also wouldn't go anywhere near the near by Cobh Street late at night. The back of the old tax office is notorious for drunks and drug selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

CB19Kevo wrote: »

My brother lived there for the last year. He had no problems whatsoever.

There a more homeless about the area than others but I would rate it as a perfectly safe area to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Wouldn't view Douglas Street as dodgy at all. Kinda more bohemian and arty. As said, best to exercise caution walking down the side streets off it late at night (and avoid being alone) but that's applicable anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've known of a few people being attacked walking home at night. As such it would be somewhere I wouldn't take the chance with and would choose to look elsewhere.

Wouldn't view Douglas Street as dodgy at all. Kinda more bohemian and arty. As said, best to exercise caution walking down the side streets off it late at night (and avoid being alone) but that's applicable anywhere.

True that is the safe option, but if you're living at the corner of douglas and white right near that dodgy car park then walking home every night with another person is not always an option, going a different route back could help i.e avoiding the car park but whats to say a gang of them isn't around any of those corners.

Its not really a choice being careful in those areas, taking somebody with you etc when your home is right in the middle of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

True that is the safe option, but if you're living at the corner of douglas and white right near that dodgy car park then walking home every night with another person is not always an option, going a different route back could help i.e avoiding the car park but whats to say a gang of them isn't around any of those corners.

Its not really a choice being careful in those areas, taking somebody with you etc when your home is right in the middle of it

That's the thing, I wouldn't walk home late at night on my own, and it's too close to town to really get a cab. It leaves you in a pickle if you're out with friends or whatnot.

You could look at the Albert road/ jewtown/ Victoria road area. Not quite as close to town, but still very close. I've lived there in the past and felt fairly safe there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I drank in the pubs all around the area for years up to recentlty. I never had any trouble or seen any trouble. And I would have been pounding the pavements at the "dodgy" times. I would not have a problem living there personally. It a shame the White house and Exchange bars are closed (few years back now!)

murphym7 wrote: »
    I drank in the pubs all around the area for years up to recentlty. I never had any trouble or seen any trouble. And I would have been pounding the pavements at the "dodgy" times. I would not have a problem living there personally. It a shame the White house and Exchange bars are closed (few years back now!)

That's the other thing, others like yourself are mentioning a few years back that everything was fine but there's nothing more recent on someone being there regularly. I have friends living nearby on Barrack street and they say its fine but maybe its just that one area, Douglas and white st.

Everyone mentions "what are the odds" that something might happen, that it could be once off you'll get any trouble but if you're living there walking home every night you're within that one time something could happen and it could be you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't think there really are any bad areas of the city centre as such, at 2-4am in the morning on many nights pretty much anywhere in any city centre in the country is a bit dodgy, sad to say.

I've lived in Togher (very bad name), Barrack St. (had a bad reputation) and on Hanover St. (very manic at 2am); yet the only times I've ever had hassle in Cork were on Sullivan's Quay, and Patrick's Bridge; neither of which you'd pick as bad areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

That's the other thing, others like yourself are mentioning a few years back that everything was fine but there's nothing more recent on someone being there regularly. I have friends living nearby on Barrack street and they say its fine but maybe its just that one area, Douglas and white st.

Everyone mentions "what are the odds" that something might happen, that it could be once off you'll get any trouble but if you're living there walking home every night you're within that one time something could happen and it could be you

I said up to recently, as in up to a few months ago. Can't speak to anything more recent than August or so, sorry;)

The area is grand, I dont know if you are looking for us to talk you out if it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

that's where a Spanish guy got attacked with a golf club-I wouldn't live around there if you paid me.During the day its rough at night its like the wild west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its okay if you have your wits about you. Its somewhat seedy in appearance and as a PP said, the car park is notorious for antisocial behaviour. Its grand by day, but if you were to regularly be out and about in the late hours, you'd need to be on your guard.

Ballyphehane is lovely and doesn't deserve its reputation at all. I've lived there my whole life and never had any bit of trouble.

Another central area that might interest you is Greenmount. Apart from Desmond Square, which is somewhat rough. Greenmount has a very old population and most people living there would be senior citizens. Very nice and quiet enough, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hassy

I live just off Douglas street, in a block of apartments where by my sitting room sliding doors look out onto the graffiti car park. have lived here for 3 years without any problems, everyday i walk rutland street many times between going to the shop and coughlans bar and fionnbarras bar, and at all times of day and night. my girlfriend also does the same, again never any hassle.
    in the summer you do get a few of the auld fella drunks that sit on a wall just by my apartment, these guys are no trouble, they're happy out just havin a few cans, dont bother anyone, on the rare occasion that one of the drunks is shouting etc, the other lads usually tell him to move on to avoid any attention being brought on them
    Of course anywhere can be slightly dodgy late at night, but to be honest i walk those streets many tines at 12-3am and never felt threatened, I cant say the same about the center of town at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've never had issues with Douglas st, I live close by and my route home is generally via Red Abbey St, Douglas St and High St (walking). I'm usually on my own and have never had a single issue, be it and 2pm or 2am.

Tbh i've always thought that part of town had a certain charm about it, but maybe that's just me :o .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Lived there for a year up till Sept just passed and never had any hassle. there's a few drunks around the place but they're harmless apart from shouting at passerby's the odd time :P would defo live there again.

Advertisement