Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad areas in Cork city - mainly douglas street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

ROY RACE wrote: »
    that's where a Spanish guy got attacked with a golf club-I wouldn't live around there if you paid me.During the day its rough at night its like the wild west
    One guy got attacked a few years ago - ok that is atrocious, but could happen in a lot of places late at night. I'm not saying that's a minor thing - it isn't, but it is a once-off. White Street overall really is not rough throughout the day in the sense of absolutely no-go. And "wild west" at night? FFS. I'm not saying people have to have lived in Harlem to know what rough is, but the above descriptions are utterly ludicrous. I grew up in a very quiet area btw. White Street isn't all of Douglas Street anyway - it's a small piece at the very end.
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Ballyphehane is lovely and doesn't deserve its reputation at all. I've lived there my whole life and never had any bit of trouble.
    +1. Ok parts of Ballyphehane had a bit of a bad-ass reputation many years ago - and I stress: parts. But otherwise it's a totally quiet, old people suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ritchiii

Would Douglas and White fall under the same kind of youth destruction as Turner Cross, Friars St or Dominick St?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ritchiii wrote: »
    I'm without a car just bicycle at the moment. City centre locations would be ideal but from what I can see theres not many. Tower street and Nicholas street are other housings but they're all in the similiar area.

I lived on Tower Street before. Never had a problem at all. That street (and the few off from it) are all quite quiet, never had any trouble. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use common sense if walking home alone at night.

My wife used to live on Douglas street too (and we currently live not far from it), never had a problem. There are few homeless people who hang around nearby drinking but I wouldn't consider them a danger.
    Does anyone in Cork not walk through dark streets to get to their home though? Are ye saying avoid the area or avoid certain streets and take another street to get to my house on Douglas street?

I live on Evergreen Road. Probably as safe an area as I've ever been in Cork. However, I do not walk home any more late at night. I've witnessed a few incidents in the past year (mostly near Barrack's street, after you cross the bridge from South Main street) that has put me off. It's not that the areas are bad, but it's the route in/out of town for a lot of people and it can get messy.
    who_me wrote: »
    I don't think there really are any bad areas of the city centre as such, at 2-4am in the morning on many nights pretty much anywhere in any city centre in the country is a bit dodgy, sad to say.

I've lived in Togher (very bad name), Barrack St. (had a bad reputation) and on Hanover St. (very manic at 2am); yet the only times I've ever had hassle in Cork were on Sullivan's Quay, and Patrick's Bridge; neither of which you'd pick as bad areas.

I'd pretty much agree with this. It's a sad truth that you could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere in the city. The areas the OP mentioned Tower Street & Douglas street are decent areas but in saying that, use common sense when deciding to walk home at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Would Douglas and White fall under the same kind of youth destruction as Turner Cross, Friars St or Dominick St?

Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve with comments like this, but if it's an attempt to flame you will find yourself on the end of a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I've lived on Cove St for a good few years and apart from wino's & teenagers hanging around the back of the old FAS building it's fine. They tend to drift away at night thankfully. Wouldn't have any problem walking down Douglas St at night & have done many a time as plenty nice pubs there.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve with comments like this, but if it's an attempt to flame you will find yourself on the end of a ban.

Don't get the wrong idea, honestly I'm trying to be 100% before moving some place full time for the sake of my family. It was the Garda Station I had called that mentioned "youth destruction" in the area in terms of that car park on White street and as I mentioned before the accommodation I'm looking at is on the corner of Douglas and White street.

Reports of heroin dealers/users as well as drunk youths were the major issue from the information I was given online and the Gardai.

Andip wrote: »

Apologies I re-read what I wrote, I meant is Turner Cross etc similiar in terms of the vandalising and lingering youths drinking on white street car park.

I meant no offense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I live in Turner's Cross and there's no issues at all here. Heavy traffic is about as bad as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cavitation

I've lived in this area for the last 11 years and I've never had any trouble..It's a city centre location and with any city centre location in any city in the country,you are gonna get your undesirables(junks and drunks),but not necessarily trouble makers.Most trouble occurs from people who do not live in the area and are 'passing through' or are out looking for hassle anyway!!Any incidents are ususally isolated and could happen anywhere be it Douglas/Ballyphehane or any where else.But I'm not saying it is a dodgy area with dodgy people.If you are that concerned about the area,look to reside somewhere else,cos you sound like a nervous wreck to me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Hey,

I'm looking to move into Douglas street within the week and curious of the area. Ive rang the Garda Station nearby and he was wary of the area but does anyone have a first hand perspective?

People being jumped at night? Save to walk home in the dark? Junkies? Scum drinking nearby stopping people etc?

Cheers!
    The house is right on the corner between douglas and white street near that graffiti carpark... Im guessing its a no go then? The house is so cheap though would it really be worth it? Any opinions on Ballyphehane area?
    I'm without a car just bicycle at the moment. City centre locations would be ideal but from what I can see theres not many. Tower street and Nicholas street are other housings but they're all in the similiar area.
    Does anyone in Cork not walk through dark streets to get to their home though? Are ye saying avoid the area or avoid certain streets and take another street to get to my house on Douglas street?
    By sense you mean to or not to walk down a certain street right? Otherwise I don't get what good sense will do you walking into unknown danger. Its just a risk towards my partner I'm worried about
    One of the pieces in that article you sent mentioned its not the first attack down this area. I think Ill give it a miss for now. Shame, nice house and cheap price.
    True that is the safe option, but if you're living at the corner of douglas and white right near that dodgy car park then walking home every night with another person is not always an option, going a different route back could help i.e avoiding the car park but whats to say a gang of them isn't around any of those corners.

Its not really a choice being careful in those areas, taking somebody with you etc when your home is right in the middle of it
    That's the other thing, others like yourself are mentioning a few years back that everything was fine but there's nothing more recent on someone being there regularly. I have friends living nearby on Barrack street and they say its fine but maybe its just that one area, Douglas and white st.

Everyone mentions "what are the odds" that something might happen, that it could be once off you'll get any trouble but if you're living there walking home every night you're within that one time something could happen and it could be you

Maybe this is paranoia but me thinks this is a subtle troll.Probably some Dub with an inferiority complex or something!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cavitation wrote: »
    I've lived in this area for the last 11 years and I've never had any trouble..It's a city centre location and with any city centre location in any city in the country,you are gonna get your undesirables(junks and drunks),but not necessarily trouble makers.Most trouble occurs from people who do not live in the area and are 'passing through' or are out looking for hassle anyway!!Any incidents are ususally isolated and could happen anywhere be it Douglas/Ballyphehane or any where else.But I'm not saying it is a dodgy area with dodgy people.If you are that concerned about the area,look to reside somewhere else,cos you sound like a nervous wreck to me!!!

Either a nervous wreck or a troll anyway.I wonder which one?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Any opinions on Ballyphehane area?

Ballyphehane is A-ok.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I worked in a pub there, it's one of the rougher parts of cork but it is the city centre so there's a limit on how bad it's allowed get. There can be large groups of teenagers hanging around which a lot of people don't like. That car park in particular I'd avoid at night. It's not south central LA but stuff can kick off around there http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/spanish-man-recovering-after-assault-with-golf-club-by-gang-181376.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The incident with the Spanish guy is a very rare thing to happen, I'd be more nervious around Dublin city centre of bad sh!t going down than I ever would of Cork.

Cork has a good share of junkies, beggars and drunks, annoying but harmless for the most part. Teens hanging around in gangs, there's not a whole lot of places they can go if they're not old enough to be let into pubs and if they're not proactive in engaging in 'useful' hobbies or sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The house is right on the corner between douglas and white street near that graffiti carpark... Im guessing its a no go then? The house is so cheap though would it really be worth it? Any opinions on Ballyphehane area?

Sounds exactly like the house my son had up to last summer. Two years there and no trouble for them, though a man was very seriously beaten and the car park was vandalized with several cars set alight.

The men in blue took a closed look at the place and it was cleaned up considerably. Not for the family man still I'd venture. A cheap house, like a free lunch what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I live near there and would have considered it safe as anywhere for years.

Unfortunately, my brother and several of his friends, all men over 30, were assaulted there not so long ago on their way home from the pub.
    Unexpected & unprovoked.
    My brother got a few hard punches in the face and had to have an operation on his nose.

Mugging gone wrong or something, they're not the type of people to going looking for a fight.

Advertisement