Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

OSI wrote: »
    A little from column A, a little from column B and a little from column cool factor.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'll bother. I had plans of tuning the GTI when I first got it. But I will have had it 2 years in February and with the recent lack of trust in its reliability, I've already made an emotional detachment with it. Its very likely it and I will be parting ways in the new year.

The next step is figuring out what I want next.

Can't remember if it was yourself or supergurrier who wanted to own a fast alfa.
    Personally I think both of you should! :D
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/147/3.2-GTA-/201341218948426/advert?channel=CARS
    Anyway, it's got the busso v6 (very reliable engine) and it has a decent speck. Always good to see a q2 fitted. Was chatting to some of the gta owners in the uk last week and they couldn't get over how cheap it was. Similar spec'd 147 gtas are making 6-7 k in the uk!

And even if it is unreliable, you won't become emotionally detached from it.

Oh and thanks to our great tax system you'd knock at least 20% off the asking. No mention of nct either so mention all the rubber probably needs to be replaced! :D

ba_barabus wrote: »
    My only news is that the Vectra is growing on me (like mould) and every time I talk to the OH she asks me if it's gone yet :o

I strangely like having a car I couldn't give a toss about for a change.

And that doesn't brake down all the time! :pac:

To be honest if it's cheap reliable motoring your after and it's proving that way at the moment I'd hang onto it.
    Isn't she in Scotland for another year anyway? Who give a fuq if she doesn't like it.
    Tell her your saving up for something nice next year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

pajor wrote: »
    Is lying an option? :P

Though I think getting rid of it might be easier..
    I think she'll notice. For someone who doesn't care about cars she has become very critical of the current cars I'm looking at.

Scortho wrote: »
    And that doesn't brake down all the time! :pac:

To be honest if it's cheap reliable motoring your after and it's proving that way at the moment I'd hang onto it.
    Isn't she in Scotland for another year anyway? Who give a fuq if she doesn't like it.
    Tell her your saving up for something nice next year! :D

She is back in June upon which time I'll be up and down the road to NI all the time. TBH it's working very well apart from a few niggles, mainly the fan not working on all speeds. I can't find a guide to changing the fan resistor on models with climate control. Needs belts done at the next service but other than that it's going great. I'm rather surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

A little from column A, a little from column B and a little from column cool factor.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'll bother. I had plans of tuning the GTI when I first got it. But I will have had it 2 years in February and with the recent lack of trust in its reliability, I've already made an emotional detachment with it. Its very likely it and I will be parting ways in the new year.

The next step is figuring out what I want next.

Exact same here tbh. Already a grand deep into suspension mods and just spend 900 quid on an exhaust system and almost a grand on other stuff like wheels/intercooler/service items/tyres and the ride and constand suspension rattling/steering wheel vibration and the general cheapness of the cabin are getting old.

Will probably spend another grand or so on remap and induction and see where i am in a year or so but the honeymoon period is definately over. Really want something more "special" to justify my tax spend and 20 odd mpg.

That being said i have no regrets as the car itself will at the very least be a stepping stone to something purer even though it makes me question a 4 year old RS costing 25 grand dynamically :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I strangely like having a car I couldn't give a toss about for a change.

I like having a car for once thats not breaking the bank at the petrol station.It's oddly satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I think she'll notice. For someone who doesn't care about cars she has become very critical of the current cars I'm looking at.

Well.. I was ridiculed before when I said that women now influence 65% of car purchases. :pac:

I like having a car for once thats not breaking the bank at the petrol station.It's oddly satisfying.

It's very odd. It's costing me feck all. It's cheap to run and I'm not afraid to park it near the door in Tesco. If I keep it I can get a second 'fun' car after Christmas. I've wanted an MX5/Alfa/MGFeminine/Jag for an age now and not had the spare cash to get one.

There are many upsides to keeping it.

Can't remember if it was yourself or supergurrier who wanted to own a fast alfa.
    Personally I think both of you should! :D
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/147/3.2-GTA-/201341218948426/advert?channel=CARS
    Anyway, it's got the busso v6 (very reliable engine) and it has a decent speck. Always good to see a q2 fitted. Was chatting to some of the gta owners in the uk last week and they couldn't get over how cheap it was. Similar spec'd 147 gtas are making 6-7 k in the uk!

And even if it is unreliable, you won't become emotionally detached from it.

Oh and thanks to our great tax system you'd knock at least 20% off the asking. No mention of nct either so mention all the rubber probably needs to be replaced! :D

Jaysus there is no stopping you is there :p

Even 1xxmph didn't faze you as we passed a FTO for lolz "We must catch the other boardsie" That being said my brother recently changed from a 1.6 vectra "sell it for the love of god Ba" that he had for a couple of years and it developed so many issues over time. He now has a rough enough "paintwork mianly" 156 1.8 t spark and he loves it to death and i must say it's a nice place to be with a really nice footwell even our toyota fanboi dad thinks it's great. But even before this was the case it was an alfa 159 5 cylinder diesel for me remapped if i needed something sensible.

Next car won't be Fwd though, Monaro/S4/Something japanese upper tier (skyline/rx7/nsx or a Bmw of some desciption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Haven't been around too much lately, what I have missed?

Naff all. Not sure about anyone else but I just have no time to get anything done on the car. When I do have some time it's dark or raining. I've been driving around with 1 wind deflector on for about 2 months now and it would only take 10 minutes to fit :(

I can only just about afford to run my car at the moment so I'm going to change to a much more expensive one :p

• Advertisement

It's very odd. It's costing me feck all. It's cheap to run and I'm not afraid to park it near the door in Tesco. If I keep it I can get a second 'fun' car after Christmas. I've wanted an MX5/Alfa/MGFeminine/Jag for an age now and not had the spare cash to get one.

Not an Alfa fanboy, so it's gotta be a Jaaaaaag. :D

pajor wrote: »
    Not an Alfa fanboy, so it's gotta be a Jaaaaaag. :D

I do like my Jags.......

Im enjoying the car still, unfortunately the dealership are absolutely useless in regards to fixing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Masters is really starting to pile on the work now so ill probably have to say bye bye mister BMW come February, if i can get a job before i graduate ill probably get a cooper s and if not ill be getting something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-fiat-punto-1-2-one-owner/5905577
    or possibly a GP sporting :o
    60e a week on petrol is killing me on my wages with my mileage having doubled since i got the BMW

Im enjoying the car still, unfortunately the dealership are absolutely useless in regards to fixing stuff.
    What are you driving now? Is it the Civic? If it is I thought I was the only person to find Honda dealers to be completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here, I think of it as a death rattle. Once it stops........................

You've never driven a Defender then I take it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What's up with it?

What are you driving now? Is it the Civic? If it is I thought I was the only person to find Honda dealers to be completely useless.

The civic yes, not bought from a Honda Dealership though.

What's up with it?

Issue with the sunroof and the clutch pedal (squeaks like crazy).It's a common enough issue with both of them.

They had my car for 2 weeks,they eventually fixed the sunroof and told me the clutch pedal had been as well.It hasn't.

• Advertisement

The civic yes, not bought from a Honda Dealership though.

Sorry to hear that. Nothing spoils are new purchase more than issues cropping up.

Sorry to hear that. Nothing spoils are new purchase more than issues cropping up.

I can tolerate issues but when its due to incompetence and lack of customer service I can't stand it.

Issue with the sunroof and the clutch pedal (squeaks like crazy).It's a common enough issue with both of them.

They had my car for 2 weeks,they eventually fixed the sunroof and told me the clutch pedal had been as well.It hasn't.

Two weeks and not doing anything? That's bad form.

I can tolerate issues but when its due to incompetence and lack of customer service I can't stand it.

Are these being fixed under warranty?

Two weeks and not doing anything? That's bad form.

In fairness to them they did fix the sunroof, the part arrived on the 14th day.... :rolleyes:

That is VERY poor form.

• Advertisement

In fairness to them they did fix the sunroof, the part arrived on the 14th day.... :rolleyes:

They kept the car for two weeks to fix the sunroof...unless the thing was hanging off they sound like a right bunch of thorough professionals...

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Are these being fixed under warranty?

I'd expect them to be, the sunroof has.So, i'll be going back in tomorrow regarding the pedal.
    That is VERY poor form.

I've never experienced anything like it before.

Is it a main dealer or a used car garage?

Neither sounds like huge issue to sort really so I don't understand why they're dragging their heels so much.

Hmmm Jag XF or Merc CLS. I'm getting old.

XF obviously

Love the irish ad where the small print shows 2.2 and 3 litre diesel prices yet gives a hearty v8 growl in the backround.

Hahaha

Is it a main dealer or a used car garage?

Neither sounds like huge issue to sort really so I don't understand why they're dragging their heels so much.

Pretty large main dealership.

• Advertisement

I'd expect them to be, the sunroof has.So, i'll be going back in tomorrow regarding the pedal.

Well your warranty would be with any Honda dealer, no?

I'd contact Honda Ireland directly and advise them that you're not with the level of after-care service being delivered and you will be going to another dealership.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

XF obviously

Love the irish ad where the small print shows 2.2 and 3 litre diesel prices yet gives a hearty v8 growl in the backround.

Hahaha

uuugh, really don't like those, spent a week being driven around in one last year, it was seriously uncomfortable, suspension was rock hard. Not helped by the fact the driver was a lunatic.

Pretty large main dealership.
    Have you tried talking to the dealer principal to see if anything can be done?

I'd contact Honda Ireland directly and advise them that you're not with the level of after-care service being delivered and you will be going to another dealership.

As I read it, it's not in a Honda dealership.

5 year old car, not bought from a Honda dealership.Warranty is with the garage I bought it.

Jaysus there is no stopping you is there :p

Even 1xxmph didn't faze you as we passed a FTO for lolz "We must catch the other boardsie" That being said my brother recently changed from a 1.6 vectra "sell it for the love of god Ba" that he had for a couple of years and it developed so many issues over time. He now has a rough enough "paintwork mianly" 156 1.8 t spark and he loves it to death and i must say it's a nice place to be with a really nice footwell even our toyota fanboi dad thinks it's great. But even before this was the case it was an alfa 159 5 cylinder diesel for me remapped if i needed something sensible.

Next car won't be Fwd though, Monaro/S4/Something japanese upper tier (skyline/rx7/nsx or a Bmw of some desciption

Sure someone had to take over from 166man, who's became quite the Japanese fanboy recently. :p

Was that your car or mine? :pac:
    Converted a friend of mine to busso goodness at the weekend!:) it was some change from the fiesta he was used to driving.

I'd go for an m5 or a skyline! You'd make Cian Ryan's day.

How rough was it? In fairness most of them are fairly rough on the road. I'd planned to do some bodywork on mine, but have decided I want to upgrade shocks to konis, ebc brakes and pads along with braided lines, polybush it and maybe fit strut braces, q2 lsd and eibach arbs before I go taking dents out of it and getting the wheels powdercoated etc.

Sure someone had to take over from 166man, who's became quite the Japanese fanboy recently. :p

Converted a friend of mine to busso goodness at the weekend!:) it was some change from the fiesta he was used to driving.

How rough was it? In fairness most of them are fairly rough on the road. I'd planned to do some bodywork on mine, but have decided I want to upgrade shocks to konis, ebc brakes and pads along with braided lines, polybush it and maybe fit strut braces, q2 lsd and eibach arbs before I go taking dents out of it and getting the wheels powdercoated etc.

We were in the car with the unbalanced back wheels not the one with the passenger airbag making a break for freedom :p

We were in the car with the unbalanced back wheels not the one with the passenger airbag making a break for freedom :p

Sure I rarely carry passengers (anyone who tells me to slow down when I amnt speeding gets thrown off the list of lifts!:pac:)
    Passenger airbag is now securely fixed thanks to a <racist term removed> job with poly cement. I'd be surprised if your brothers isn't the same. The clips just go on them after a while it seems as every 156 I've seen has a loose cover.

That is one ridiculously tempting motor I have to say.

I was tempting a few gta owners in the uk to come over and have a look.
    It's ridiculously underpriced by international standards but you can get it even cheaper as it won't be selling any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You mean RWD manual German fanboi :pac:

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    You mean RWD manual German fanboi :pac:

Oh no, he's been singing the praises of toyota reliability. That and feckin wreckin ball!:(
    The thing that needs a wrecking ball is his variator. Loud as ****.

Oh no, he's been singing the praises of toyota reliability. That and feckin wreckin ball!:(

Jaypers he needs a few days up here so, I'll iron that crap out of him :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Variator on the 156 or the GTV?

Stheno wrote: »
    Variator on the 156 or the GTV?

156. Puts sounding like a diesel on a whole new scale. Real bummer for him, as he's basically just rebuilt the entire suspension.

156. Puts sounding like a diesel on a whole new scale. Real bummer for him, as he's basically just rebuilt the entire suspension.

Ah that's not as bad as on the gtv. The gtv bottom end makes a sound like a dead variator when it's about to crap itself.

Regardless it's an horrific noise, people used stare at my car due to the horrific noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I was talking to one of my lecturers today about wall details, and some how it came around to cars, now this guy has a fairly timid, wouldn't harm a fly, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth look about him, he proceeded to tell me in his youth him and a friend of his put a cosworth engine, with about 250bhp as far as i can remember, into a Citroen 2cv

The idea in itself is hilarious never mind actually seeing it :pac: showed me a picture and all, looks bonkers :pac:

I was talking to one of my lecturers today about wall details, and some how it came around to cars, now this guy has a fairly timid, wouldn't harm a fly, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth look about him, he proceeded to tell me in his youth him and a friend of his put a cosworth engine, with about 250bhp as far as i can remember, into a Citroen 2cv

The idea in itself is hilarious never mind actually seeing it :pac: showed me a picture and all, looks bonkers :pac:

Sounds like something dgt would do!
    A busso v6 seicento:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Sounds like something dgt would do!
    A busso v6 seicento:pac:

I sat there for a good 15 minutes laughing at the idea of this thing going around somewhere out doing mercs and bmws, while two stereotypical frenchies drove it :pac::pac:

I sat there for a good 15 minutes laughing at the idea of this thing going around somewhere out doing mercs and bmws, while two stereotypical frenchies drove it :pac::pac:

Sounds like the getaway car in a bad French heist film. :D

• Advertisement

Woke up to find half a tooth missing. I'm so distraught thats happened, I hope the dentist can do something :(:(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement