Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Judges Beyond Criticism?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Just to be clear there is a significant body of academic research that shows that when people get their facts about cases from the media they generally believe sentencing to be too lenient whereas when they hear the facts as presented to the judge they generally agree with the sentences handed down by the judiciary.

For the most part the whole thing about backlashes against lenient judges is a media created monster and, if they did their job properly, wouldn't actually reflect the reality on the ground.

Wheelnut's own wildly inaccurate ideas about sentencing in murder cases is a good example of the gap between fact and perception in this area.

I have often sat all day listening to a complicated case with many variables and when the judge has passed sentence I have felt that he got it spot on. I know the local courts reporters and they have heard everything that I have heard but they only have a couple of sentences to get the case across and it is very difficult to capture any nuances with those constraints. When I do see the paper the next day I often think that if this is all I had to go I would think the Judge was too lenient as well. I know the courts reporters well and they are excellent journalists. This is just an unfortunate fact of life. I really dread the day when there are no full time court reporters at all but only tabloid hacks sent down for the occasional big trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Valentine1 wrote: »

Will that go back to the CCC for sentencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Bepolite wrote: »
    Will that go back to the CCC for sentencing?

No, further date in the CCA possibly next week.

• Site Banned Posts: 24 jim_jim

jonsnow wrote: »
    I have often sat all day listening to a complicated case with many variables and when the judge has passed sentence I have felt that he got it spot on. I know the local courts reporters and they have heard everything that I have heard but they only have a couple of sentences to get the case across and it is very difficult to capture any nuances with those constraints. When I do see the paper the next day I often think that if this is all I had to go I would think the Judge was too lenient as well. I know the courts reporters well and they are excellent journalists. This is just an unfortunate fact of life. I really dread the day when there are no full time court reporters at all but only tabloid hacks sent down for the occasional big trial.

im familiar with two judges in the general area where I live

one is a thoughtful man, softly spoken but with an incredibly forensic mind , I have watched him deliberate over many cases and have always been impressed with him

the other is a reactionary , pompous blowhard who defendants should not waste money hiring solicitors on as he never listens to the facts anyway

their are many different judges out there , some are great , some are terrible , most are somewhere in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Now that the heat has cooled a little, I'll risk another post.
    Wheelnut's own wildly inaccurate ideas about sentencing in murder cases is a good example of the gap between fact and perception in this area.

The annoying thing for me about that "murder" post of mine is that I actually do know what murder is. I really made a hash of it by describing all killing as murder. (My excuse is a lapse of concentration) As soon as I started reading the first responses to that post I really had an "oh sh!t, what have I done?" moment. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Now that the heat has cooled a little, I'll risk another post.

The annoying thing for me about that "murder" post of mine is that I actually do know what murder is. I really made a hash of it by describing all killing as murder. (My excuse is a lapse of concentration) As soon as I started reading the first responses to that post I really had an "oh sh!t, what have I done?" moment. :eek:

Don't this as an attack, it isn't.

It's not that you misunderstood what murder is, you didn't understand how the sentencing works.

There are obviously other offences that involve the death of the victim (manslaughter, dangerous driving causing death, and I think there are one or two more? Criminal people here will tell you.)

The point is that once you are convicted of murder in Ireland you automatically get a life sentence. There is no discretion on the part of the judge.

The actual length of the incarceration is determined by the parole service (Criminal lawyers: is this the correct agency?) which is part of the executive. They determine when you get out. Judges are not involved in this decision. Once they impose the life sentence it leaves their hands.

Advertisement