Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inarticulate Mayors

Options
  • 11-11-2013 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

What is the criteria to become a Mayor in Longford?. So far as I can see a mayors main function is ceremonial which entails turning up at events and give a short speech. In my work I am regularly at such events and all of our many many mayors are and have always been utterly inarticulate.
    The last such event was last week where two ordinary Joes stood up and made eloquent off the cuff speeches, no script required, before handing over to the current town mayor who produced a tattered sheet of yellowing paper from his pocket from which he read a generic "Tank you Ladies and Gentlemen. Its a privilage to be here..yadda yadda' type speech with absolutely no emotion, emphasis or enunciation. It was embarrassing and uncomfortable for all with more than a few stifled giggles going around the room.
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Criteria?
    Well dont assume it is based on any form of ability or qualification for the job. Its more of a 'Who hasnt had a go yet? It pays well". Its a vote amongst councillors AFAIK so as usual with politics in Ireland its based upon who you know and what strings are being pulled.. Utter waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

i think that mayor crap is coming to an end with the town council
    been abolished

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

the next local elections should be interesting :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

starskey77 wrote: »
    the next local elections should be interesting :cool:
    We will still have a county mayor though. One who reads dull clichéd speeches from tattered bits of paper in a dead pan delivery...wheeeeeee

Advertisement