Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive issue

Options
  • 11-11-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

As my title suggests I've a problem with my external hard drive. I've been taking pics for a club for about 7 or 8 years and i went to transfer pics from my laptop over weekend and my laptop couldn't pick up the hard drive. I dropped it into a computer shop to see could i recover the pics and they weren't able.

They say a data recovery expert is my only choice. What are my options ? Can anyone recommend somewhere and what could i expect to pay ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I forgot to add i'm based in kildare offaly area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I forgot to add i'm based in kildare offaly area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Buy A drive caddy, enclosure,
    .,you probably need a 3.5inch sata caddy,
    its possible if drive is 5
    + years old it might be ide type interface drive,
    SO IT might need an ide caddy .
    IF drive is more than 300 gig ,it,ll like need a caddy with an external power supply, cost 35 euro.

there,s sata caddys , ide caddys ,3,5 inch
    and 2.5inch caddys.

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=IDE+ENCLOSURE,

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Enclosures-Computer-Add-Ons-Computers/b?ie=UTF8&node=160354011

generally 3,5inch drives need a powered enclosure to spin up ,operate.

2,5 inch drives under 300gig can usually work thru using the power
    on the usb cable,
    ie no external power needed.
    usb powered caddy 2.5 inch cost 14 euro.

REMOVE the hardrive ,place it inside the caddy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

..to add to riclads post there, once the drive is in the replacement external caddy you can connect it to another computer and perform your own forensics. It may even be that the old enclosure is broken but the drive itself is ok. Have a google for windows software that recovers data from drives, many will offer free trials that will let you check if the photos are indeed retrievable. If not, your only other option would be forensic data recovery but this is typically hundreds of euro with no guarantee of success. It depends on how valuable those photos are..

and don't forget your future mantra: backup early and backup often. Best of luck

Advertisement