Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first app

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Based on the screen shots alone I will give some opinions.

First screen: I would prefer a centred layout rather than the left justified one that you have. I will guess that you have not designed layouts for multiple screen sizes and densities; if not it would be a good thing to start doing for future apps. The text items, especially the "STLBs" and "FTINs" are hard to read and I did not immediately understand what they meant. A simple space would help immensely. "ST LBs" and "FT INs" is much clearer.

Second screen: I think you should include the height and weight the user entered on the results screen. (A neat feature would be to show the conversion of what the user entered, i.e. if they entered pounds, also show them their weight in kilos). Maybe add the link to wiki about BMI that you have on Google play to the results screen.

Finally, it's understandable that you want good reviews for your app, but it's clear that the person giving the first review of the app is also the person who developed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

User Interface needs work. How much work? Well, let's put it this way - my eyes are bleeding.

Neither screen is terribly clear, to begin with. Where you input values is difficult to identify. The screens are not properly utilized, in terms of space, leaving one with only a corner of the screen being used. Then, of course the labelling looks like it was cobbled together by modifying some 'Hello World' tutorial - especially how the results are given at the end.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you're using two activities for the app. No need for that, and just means you have to press back twice when you want to quit after a calculation. Keep everything in the same activity and simply apply your results layout accordingly.

You've handled input validation/restriction well. You might want to round some of the results you get whenever calculating BMI's or conversions.

Now, I understand that this is one step up from Hello World, is not meant to be a professional app and you've probably learned lots from the experience; in which case it's a perfectly good attempt (although, let's face it, it's something you can knock up in 30 minutes).

I'd build on it as a means to learn to use more of the Android API and to improve your control of the fundamentals, if I were you. You need to improve your layout skills to begin with.

However, you could also add new, simple, functionality such as a menu (if only to give a quit option), for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 classypaddy

Many thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The design guidelines should be a good read and help you out a lot with design.

http://developer.android.com/design/get-started/ui-overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maalummoja

Did you use the app inventer with this? What software was used?

• Advertisement
Advertisement