Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

proofreading

• 12-11-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello all.just wondering what a reasonable quote is to proof read and edit a 180 page phd thesis,roughly? 450 euro? Ish...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Why do people insist on throwing away such large sums of money on proofreading?!? I fail to see why it's necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Get a friend to do it for free :D

I've proofread several essays, projects, and masters theses for friends. I know a PhD is slightly different, but I would still do it for a good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 anitack

Ah I have no idea, but it's soooo time consuming if you do it right, that's prob why its' so expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

Proof reading in itself is an skill. Not something a friend can do properly as a favor. Yes they will find some spelling mistakes but only a fraction of what a professional will find.

To proof read a 180 page thesis properly could take a professional 3 full days and they will find 90% of spelling, grammar, formating errors.

I never used a proof reading service, hard to justify the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

893bet wrote: »
    Proof reading in itself is an skill. Not something a friend can do properly as a favor. Yes they will find some spelling mistakes but only a fraction of what a professional will find.

To proof read a 180 page thesis properly could take a professional 3 full days and they will find 90% of spelling, grammar, formating errors.

I never used a proof reading service, hard to justify the cost.

Agree with almost every word you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Of course a friend can do it if they're good at proof reading. Proof readers have friends, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If you've got nothing constructive to add, then please don't post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

I lolled. For clarity "favor" is not an incorrect spelling. I use American English alot. Funny enough it was something that ticked off my internal as I was switching between the two depending on the word.

OP PM jeff! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I see lots of poster around campus in DCU for such services. No idea who is offering the service, so not really easy to work out how qualified the people making the posters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntAunt

For ESL students, I would say its a pretty big deal to get proofreading done. Some of the American companies charge crazy money. There is a good enough crowd in Swords doing it for around €14 per 1000 euros

• Advertisement
Advertisement