Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Midwifery Nursing Psychometric Test 2014 HELP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

It
    s hard to know whats going to come up, I'd advise you just to read as widely as you can on nursing issues. Nursingtimes.net has a lot of good articles. Make sure you know some issues affecting the NHS that are currently in the media - The Francis Report is the big news story at the moment, definitely read up on this. Know your 6 C's (Care, Compassion, Competence, Courage, Communication and Commitment) and be able to talk about why each of them are important qualities in nurses. Other than that I'd say have an answer prepared for the question why you want to be a nurse, research the college that you're going to and brush up on your maths.

Where is your interview? Do you know what format the interview is in? Individual interview or group interview or both? Best of luck, I hope it goes well for you!! :)
    [/QUOTE]

Hey man, ya got one the 29th of jan and 10th feb one in bucks and another in scotland, group and 1 on 1 interview they are and a text in math and english, are the tests hard, be more worried about the math, for the individual interview are you interviewed by a panel??? what are the group interviews about??

also can you bring a calculater in for the test?

Thanks,
    best of luck with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Healy Boy wrote: »
    Hey man, ya got one the 29th of jan and 10th feb one in bucks and another in scotland, group and 1 on 1 interview they are and a text in math and english, are the tests hard, be more worried about the math, for the individual interview are you interviewed by a panel??? what are the group interviews about??

also can you bring a calculater in for the test?

Thanks,
    best of luck with you too.

Group interviews are great, I find them much easier than the individual because there's less pressure on you to always come up with the right answer every time. Just make sure that you speak up a bit and try to get a couple good points in but don't try to dominate the conversation either. There's a lot of focus on how you communicate within a group and that you give the quieter people a chance a speak.

In all my individual interviews so far I've had two people interviewing me. Usually you're not allowed a calculator but they should state this in the information that they sent you about the interview. If you're unsure its always a good idea to give them a quick call just to clarify!

Any other questions, feel free!

Thanks alot

So the group interviews are just talking about whats happening within nursing NHS? any good topic to bring up in the group interviews??

Would you say the individual interviews be like a normal interview as such, "why you want this career", "why you choose this college" ect etc?

Thanks alot

So the group interviews are just talking about whats happening within nursing NHS? any good topic to bring up in the group interviews??

Would you say the individual interviews be like a normal interview as such, "why you want this career", "why you choose this college" ect etc?

In a group interview you usually have two interviewers in the room who are evaluating you during the interview. They will ask questions of everyone as a group or they might just give you a statement to discuss amongst yourselves. Sometimes they might give you a case study or you'll watch a short video and then you'll discuss that amongst yourselves. Sorry I didn't apply to Bucks or anywhere in Scotland so I'm not sure what form your group interviews might take!

I find that usually if you have a group interview first then the individual interview is a bit more personal, they might ask you questions specific to you (such as why do you want to study in the UK instead of Ireland?) whereas if its just an individual interview there's more typical interview questions (such as give an example of a time when you showed compassion?). But then this isn't always the case either. You can try some UK student forums to see what came up in other peoples interviews but don't rely on your interview being the same as theirs, universities change things all the time to keep it fair for everyone. All I can say is try to be prepared for anything!

For the maths, there's some good websites you use to practice, http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetestsResults.asp (look for the Level 2 numeracy tests on this page), http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/. Again the maths tests vary so much from university to university! Usually they'll send you out a sample test with your interview info and the test on the day will be really similar to that. Did you do the Level 2 maths test in the end by the way?

Where else have you applied? Its such a nerve racking process isn't it? The really hard part comes after your interview when you're waiting anxiously for the verdict!

Oh, if it turns out that you are allowed to use a calculator in your maths test then this usually means that the questions are a bit harder and this would be a better website to practice on - http://www.snap.nhs.uk/details.aspx (just go into the 'have a go' section).

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    In a group interview you usually have two interviewers in the room who are evaluating you during the interview. They will ask questions of everyone as a group or they might just give you a statement to discuss amongst yourselves. Sometimes they might give you a case study or you'll watch a short video and then you'll discuss that amongst yourselves. Sorry I didn't apply to Bucks or anywhere in Scotland so I'm sure sure what form your group interviews might take!

I find that usually if you have a group interview first then the individual interview is a bit more personal, they might ask you questions specific to you (such as why do you want to study in the UK instead of Ireland?) whereas if its just an individual interview there's more typical interview questions (such as give an example of a time when you showed compassion?). But then this isn't always the case either. You can try some UK student forums to see what came up in other peoples interviews but don't rely on your interview being the same as theirs, universities change things all the time to keep it fair for everyone. All I can say is try to be prepared for anything!

For the maths, there's some good websites you use to practice, http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetestsResults.asp (look for the Level 2 numeracy tests on this page), http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/. Again the maths tests vary so much from university to university! Usually they'll send you out a sample test with your interview info and the test on the day will be really similar to that. Did you do the Level 2 maths test in the end by the way?

Where else have you applied? Its such a nerve racking process isn't it? The really hard part comes after your interview when you're waiting anxiously for the verdict!

Its leading up to alright, Im be more delighted for aceptance in the UK than Ireland. I must do alot of research so within the next couple of weeks for it, do you have to ask any question at the end of the interview, How long do they give you for an answer about being declined or accepted is this by e-mail or through UCAS?

Hopefully it goes well anyway!!
    I applied for 2 in scotland and the rest around the london area, buck, bedforshire, west london. Finger crossed.

I didnt end up doing the level 2 maths test, I just send off what i have, no complaints yet? we see on the day though, what the english tests like, Im guessing they be quite similar to the Irish Assement that has to be done.

Its leading up to alright, Im be more delighted for aceptance in the UK than Ireland. I must do alot of research so within the next couple of weeks for it, do you have to ask any question at the end of the interview, How long do they give you for an answer about being declined or accepted is this by e-mail or through UCAS?

Hopefully it goes well anyway!!
    I applied for 2 in scotland and the rest around the london area, buck, bedforshire, west london. Finger crossed.

I didnt end up doing the level 2 maths test, I just send off what i have, no complaints yet? we see on the day though, what the english tests like, Im guessing they be quite similar to the Irish Assement that has to be done.

Cool, I've had an interview for Bedfordshire at the beginning of December but they said they won't let us know until April if we were successful or not. West London is where I'm off to next week so fingers crossed for that!

I think the English test is an essay in most places but in Befordshire we had to correct spelling mistakes in a paragraph and answer questions on a paragraph as well as write an essay. For West London, they emailed me out two newpaper articles and I have to choose one to summerise off by heart on the day.

Different colleges give different lenghts of time to hear back, Bedfordshire said that it'll be April because they interview everyone before they start giving out offers but other places will get back to you very fast. It could be through Track or by email. When I got my rejection it just showed up in Track, no email.

Who knows, we could be classmates in Bedfordshire or West London in September! :D

Ya hopefully, either way once we get a position somewhere be good, best of luck anyway, if i have any other questions ill get back to you, some grea tips , thanks mans, ill keep you updated anyway

Ya hopefully, either way once we get a position somewhere be good, best of luck anyway, if i have any other questions ill get back to you, some grea tips , thanks mans, ill keep you updated anyway

No bothers, I just got offered my first college place from Anglia Ruskin University, so freaking happy! Best of luck with the interview process, once you do your research you'll get through them just fine!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Anybody going for UCD Midwifery this year?

Also is this the main thread for Mature Nursing applicants this year - anyone know any groups on Facebook that I could join. Did a quick search but none in Ireland came up.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Also is this the main thread for Mature Nursing applicants this year - anyone know any groups on Facebook that I could join. Did a quick search but none in Ireland came up.
    Rollercoaster Nursing/Midwives. Everything you need to know is right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

WildRosie wrote: »
    Rollercoaster Nursing/Midwives. Everything you need to know is right there.

Send a request to join the group a week ago and not accepted yet, is that normal?

Mmm, not really. Did you check your 'others' inbox? Sometimes the admins sends a message before they add you because there was a lot of problems with trolls. If you go to the group, can you see who the admins are? If you can, send them a message. If you can't, let me know and I can message them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeranelly

Hello guys, just wondering how did everyone got on with today's mature nursing/midwifery assessment test (Apil 26, CORK)? I was not able to finished the Verbal test, maybe 8 blanks. Done well in Math, and no clue about the Job Simulation, unfinished too about 4 blanks..I'm gutted about having no warning! I'll be anxious now about the result...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Caffrey82

I sat the test in Dublin today... Missed last 3 verbal and guessed 5-6 maths! :( Can't say how I did in Job Sim....

Anyone know the maim thread for this years applicants?

Caffrey82 wrote: »
    I sat the test in Dublin today... Missed last 3 verbal and guessed 5-6 maths! :( Can't say how I did in Job Sim....

At least you've just missed 3 on verbal. Verbal test was much more complicated and longer passages than I expected. I felt shooked everytime the facilatitor says, "time's up...pencil on the desk". I found the numerical test easy enough. And can't tell about job sim until results are out. Hopeful!

So annoyed about maths, I was so prepared for it! I just lost track of time! What you apply for and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elliekins

I also did it in Dublin today. I thought the maths was fairly difficult to be honest. I guessed a good few at the end too. It's going to be a long month. :(

Caffrey82 wrote: »
    So annoyed about maths, I was so prepared for it! I just lost track of time! What you apply for and where?

Applying for General Nursing to go to University College Cork (UCC). I had a digital watch taped on the desk in front of me and that was useless because I learned I would not have any spare seconds to even glance at how much possible minutes to seconds we have left...I prepared the numerical well in advanced as I thought my brain never heard of numbers for years and it was worth it. I borrowed books at the library with author Mike Byron etc., that came handy, similar to the familiarisation given to us. Touch wood, but if it won't happen this time, I'll try again for next year. ^_^

• Advertisement

Elliekins wrote: »
    I also did it in Dublin today. I thought the maths was fairly difficult to be honest. I guessed a good few at the end too. It's going to be a long month. :(

It will be a longgggg next month of May to go through...^_^ Let us keep the hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e.m.m.a

I did it in Dublin too. Here's hoping it went well, it really is a long time to wait for results! Didn't get the verbal finished, maybe left about four questions. I didn't find the maths too bad and really not sure about the job simulation. Did any of you guys do the prep day?? Is this all your first time to do the exam??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Psychstudent75

I've taken this test a few times before and if anyone is wondering why I am not a student it's just because of my own fees issues. Just had to clear that up to give you all my credibility concerning this test.

Te verbal test is always very tricky. The "cannot say" questions are designed to be so and can be time consuming because you end up second guessing yourself about your initial comprehension of the passage. I would say that if you are in doubt, tick cannot say. Of course, don't use this as a default but if you're not sure it may work out because after all, there are no negative markings. I think it's worth it to take the risk if you have those doubts.

I found the maths test more difficult this year than last. Not sure if that was not enough practice on my part or if it differs from year to year. But as the books and prep material advise, it is helpful to learn to logically estimate and then figure out the most probable answer.

As for the job simulation test: The year I failed was simply because I spent too much time wrestling with what the best answer was as how I would choose to react in a given situation. I ended up contemplating moral dilemmas and wasted a lot of time.The reasonable reactions are very similar to decide upon. We aren't expected to be knowledgeable as a training student nurse because most of us haven't been there yet! What they're looking for is your gut reaction when presented with these scenarios, how you would react and if that fits within the realm of what a nurse is expected to do. It's part of the selection process. The prep material and the directions from the test monitors actually spell it out: They are trying to measure how you are in "taking responsibility, caring and helping for others, communicating and dealing with others, teamwork, motivation to do things well and your ability to make decisions." The one thing I've always tried to keep in mind while answering these questions is that you are a student nurse, not qualified. In other words, if you think a situation is out of your scope of practice as a student then it is best to report to qualified individuals. Yet, don't always choose this as an easy way out. They want to see your ability to take initiative and find solutions as a mature adult would.

My final words are well done to everyone who got themselves there, despite the nerves to sit the test. It isn't easy. The year I failed, I was devastated but I got back up and sat it again. I hope to all those out there if they don't receive the results they hoped for to do the same and not give up. It may be a long wait for the results but it's kind out of our hands now. We did the best could. I hope this was somewhat helpful and I wish you all the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elliekins

Hi Emma I did the prep day in the best western in Dublin. I found it helped a bit and the maths exercises they gave out came in handy for studying before the exam. It was a lot of money to spend considering most of what they went through came out in the familiarisation booklet anyway haha.

It was my first time sitting the exam too, maybe not my last but fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 breny

Hi all, I also sat the test last Saturday. I'm wondering what happens in June, do we get a reply saying how we did on the day but still need to wait till the following month to actually know if we got a CAO place? I'm not sure how this part works to be honest.

I got the verbal and the job simulation tests finished but only got 15 of the maths finished, I took far too long on each one instead of doing the easier ones first but I'll know for next time if I need to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I too would like to know what happens now? The gf did the test a few weeks back, and there's no word of getting results or anything until the places are offered in June

You'll get the results in early June, they came out the Tuesday after the bank holiday last year. We weren't told to expect them that day, just got a text that morning to say they were available. It'll tell you your score as well as the highest and lowest scores overall and in each category, this will give you a very rough idea of how you did. Then you'll have to wait for the CAO offers in early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e.m.m.a

Hi Elliekins, yeah I did it in the Western as well. Wasn't sure at first with the cost but glad I did it after!
    How do you think you did?? I'm hoping I got it this year too and I'm just dying to know how I did, the wait is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blondie3057

Hi People results are out, i just got mine, passed thank god, would love to hear any feedback, i got a score of 176, i just hope its enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 breny

Join the club Blondie. I was so nervous checking mine there, I scrolled down really slow. I got 178 so hopefully that's enough. Good luck.

Advertisement