Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Midwifery Nursing Psychometric Test 2014 HELP

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blondie3057

Thats great Breny (change that to Brainy, lol) Well done, fingers crossed now for offers, i actually said a hail mary and an our father before i opened the email, so Father Ted ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 southend

I've taken this test a few times before and if anyone is wondering why I am not a student it's just because of my own fees issues. Just had to clear that up to give you all my credibility concerning this test.

Te verbal test is always very tricky. The "cannot say" questions are designed to be so and can be time consuming because you end up second guessing yourself about your initial comprehension of the passage. I would say that if you are in doubt, tick cannot say. Of course, don't use this as a default but if you're not sure it may work out because after all, there are no negative markings. I think it's worth it to take the risk if you have those doubts.

I found the maths test more difficult this year than last. Not sure if that was not enough practice on my part or if it differs from year to year. But as the books and prep material advise, it is helpful to learn to logically estimate and then figure out the most probable answer.

As for the job simulation test: The year I failed was simply because I spent too much time wrestling with what the best answer was as how I would choose to react in a given situation. I ended up contemplating moral dilemmas and wasted a lot of time.The reasonable reactions are very similar to decide upon. We aren't expected to be knowledgeable as a training student nurse because most of us haven't been there yet! What they're looking for is your gut reaction when presented with these scenarios, how you would react and if that fits within the realm of what a nurse is expected to do. It's part of the selection process. The prep material and the directions from the test monitors actually spell it out: They are trying to measure how you are in "taking responsibility, caring and helping for others, communicating and dealing with others, teamwork, motivation to do things well and your ability to make decisions." The one thing I've always tried to keep in mind while answering these questions is that you are a student nurse, not qualified. In other words, if you think a situation is out of your scope of practice as a student then it is best to report to qualified individuals. Yet, don't always choose this as an easy way out. They want to see your ability to take initiative and find solutions as a mature adult would.

My final words are well done to everyone who got themselves there, despite the nerves to sit the test. It isn't easy. The year I failed, I was devastated but I got back up and sat it again. I hope to all those out there if they don't receive the results they hoped for to do the same and not give up. It may be a long wait for the results but it's kind out of our hands now. We did the best could. I hope this was somewhat helpful and I wish you all the best of luck.

I will keep this in mind for next year's test. The lesson I got from this year's test was "DON'T BE AFRAID TO SKIP REAL QUICK" and get back to it later thing. I failed to skip some questions that I found complicated in my panicking head at that time, too afraid that I would missed out valuable points. Time management needed. Thanks a mil. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alix

Any way of knowing what points are required for the courses ? I got 189 but not sure if that's enough. Last year the points were around 580 and I got 540 and thought I'd get an offer, but nothing !

Alix wrote: »
    Any way of knowing what points are required for the courses ? I got 189 but not sure if that's enough. Last year the points were around 580 and I got 540 and thought I'd get an offer, but nothing !

Wow...and what was the highest score last year?

southend wrote: »
    Wow...and what was the highest score last year?

It was 650 !

• Advertisement

But this year they are marked differently so I don't have to get 580 to be offered .....imagine !!

Alix wrote: »
    But this year they are marked differently so I don't have to get 580 to be offered .....imagine !!

The maximum points for this year is 240, I heard from the facilitator and somebody scored 213 pts as the highest. So your score is a possiblity.

southend wrote: »
    The maximum points for this year is 240, I heard from the facilitator and somebody scored 213 pts as the highest. So your score is a possiblity.

I'm keeping everything crossed , can't face waiting another year if I don't get in this time 😔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Ye guys should request to join the Rollercoaster Nursing page on FB - the moderator over there is compiling a list of everyones points and first preference courses to give everyone an idea where they stand - https://www.facebook.com/groups/177866875598881/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi, Can someone please tell me what scores people are getting for general in U.L on the facebook rollercoaster page. I have requested to join. Waiting to be accepted. I got 191.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ad124

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi, Can someone please tell me what scores people are getting for general in U.L on the facebook rollercoaster page. I have requested to join. Waiting to be accepted. I got 191.

Hi triona00

At the moment there's only 2 of us on it for UL, you will be the third and will be stealing 1st place!! 😭😄 well done.x

Can someone explain what happens in the following situation - If I have a score of say 174 and have applied for a place in UCD General and someone else has a score of 180 and has UCD General as their second choice - (do they get an offer before me even though I have it as my first choice and they have it as there second?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ad124 wrote: »
    Hi triona00

At the moment there's only 2 of us on it for UL, you will be the third and will be stealing 1st place!! 😭😄 well done.x
    Forgive me for saying so, but I feel it's unfair to give anybody false hope.
    It's really very difficult to figure out whether or not a place will be offered based on our results and who may or may have not applied to what course. There are quite a few variables that will determine our offers and I don't believe it can be deduced based on a web page or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 polly92

Can someone explain what happens in the following situation - If I have a score of say 174 and have applied for a place in UCD General and someone else has a score of 180 and has UCD General as their second choice - (do they get an offer before me even though I have it as my first choice and they have it as there second?)

I think that is how it works yes. The higher score will cancel out order of preference. You have a pretty good score tho...I got 151, very disappointed but sure that's how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ad124

Einstein

She asked how the score board on the Facebook page was looking and I was replying to that. People have the right to make up their own minds about the information they wish to recieve. We all know there is only a fraction of the candidates on the Facebook page. I said well done to congratulate her on achieving a high score. We have all been in this since last February and a simple well done in my opinion is surely deserved. Live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Hi does anyone know where I could view a sample exam? I have only just started thinking of going down the route of midwifery as a mature student. BUT I am literally just doing the initial investigations. I'm a bit worried at the mention of maths so much. Is this very relevant in midwifery? I am pretty bad with numbers & pretty sure I have discalula so would that rule me out? And what kind of other subjects are covered? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Caffrey82

Hi does anyone know where I could view a sample exam? I have only just started thinking of going down the route of midwifery as a mature student. BUT I am literally just doing the initial investigations. I'm a bit worried at the mention of maths so much. Is this very relevant in midwifery? I am pretty bad with numbers & pretty sure I have discalula so would that rule me out? And what kind of other subjects are covered? Thanks

Highly recommend Career Services to prep you x

Maths is a bit part of all nursing careers including midwifery, that is why is is featured as 1 of 3 parts of the exam because you need to reach a certain standard in maths to be considered able for what is involved day to day on the job.

From patient charts to equipment screen readings to preparing meds and filling up paperwork you wouldn't need to be bad at maths, I'll put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Caffrey82

Goodluck to everyone who is awaiting an offer tomorrow morning. How is everyone feeling? What colleges and subject you all hoping for? Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 breny

Starting to get nervous. Good luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement