Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Mini with Retina Display

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm guessing Compu B or any of the other retailers won't have stock today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

100euros dearer than buying it in the States. Looks like having a friend pick one up is the way to go.

From Compu B: "We will indeed be getting the new iPad Minis in but most likely not today."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Very quiet launch...suspect it's those pesky retina displays which are hard to make in that size.

Won't be picking one up, though. I'm very happy with my Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have a friend in El Paso who's getting me the ipad air this week..just pinged her to change it to the ipad mini if its available.
    Regardless either would do me :) impressed with the size reduction on the ipad air..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ordered :)

Preparing for dispatch already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i hate you all...

i have a 200 euro voucher at home for pc world so going to buy mine there. was in the apple store in belfast earlier and there's none out on display at all.

• Advertisement

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Preparing for dispatch already.

What time did you order? :eek:

miralize wrote: »
    What time did you order? :eek:

As soon as they went on sale :)

Here is what Jim Dalrymple has to say about it: http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/11/12/review-ipad-mini-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

Dispatched in 5-10 days. Supplies are tight. I ordered mine from the UK site where it was 1-3 days.
    http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina

Any disadvantage to ordering from UK? I'm impatient so 1-3 days appeals a lot more that 5-10! :D
    Presume I'd have to use Parcel Motel NI address? any other pitfalls?

Any disadvantage to ordering from UK? I'm impatient so 1-3 days appeals a lot more that 5-10! :D
    Presume I'd have to use Parcel Motel NI address? any other pitfalls?

You will get it delivered faster & cheaper with the UK site. Your warranty is still valid the same as it would from Irish store. Only thing you might be concerned about is that PM only insure up to €100 unless you purchase a higher insurance limit for around €3.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've no interest in buying a Mini (reading sheet music on a gig means it's Air or nothing) but I can't wait to see these.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I have just tried the following stores:

Harvey Normans - Airside Swords
    PC World / Currys - Airside
    DID - Airside (well I walked in and out again)
    Currys - Pavilions Swords
    CompuB - Pavilions Swords

They all had nowt, nor knew if anything was coming in. The chap in CompuB was a bit put out :)

So I ordered online with a 5-10 day dispatch.

The rumour lads out there are speculating that there is not much available, they will sell the lot online and then wait till 2014 for the next batch. But then again, these lads never saw this early online availability.

Mine has changed too from 3-5 days to 5-10 days

And now mine has been dispatched :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mine too

Mine is in Dubai at the minute, arriving in UK tomorrow.

It would appear that you can order with Argos now for collection next Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

CompuB in the Pavilions are expecting a delivery today! They are taking names.

Anyone ring any of the Argos stores? I have a one4all that would cover half of a minis cost so I need to wait unless compub take one 4 all.

iPad Mini has arrived via Parcel Motel.

Here are my first impressions if any of you are still on the fence about this.

First of all the screen. Retina display is nice & sharp but that's as far as it goes really. The screen definitely appears washed out and colour gamut is not as good as iPhone / iPad Air screens. Almost resembles what the first retina iPod touch was in comparison to the iPhone 4. Same retina ppi but poor colours. That might not be a big issue for most of you but if you are coming from using iPhone 5 or iPad 3/4 the colour thing might be a little off putting (it is for me).

Performance wise it is good but not brilliant. It doesn't feel like it's running the A7 as much as you would notice on the 5S or iPad Air but there are reasons behind that of course. It is still a big improvement on last years model.

The hardware as always is incredible. Same design just a little thicker and heavier but you wouldn't really notice it. It still feels very light but sturdy in the hand. The red Smart Cover looks great with it also and adds to the beauty of the device.

Can't comment on the battery life just yet but that shouldn't be an issue from the reviews I've read it should deliver more than the 10 hours of usage Apple says you will get.

Streaming 1080p video looks very good on the Mini and colours don't seem as bad there.

Basically what I'm getting at is that it's a very good tablet but has a few shortcomings that actually won't bother most people. However, if you want the very best that Apple has to offer and find the bigger screen size is still portable enough, shoot the extra € for the Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

First of all the screen. Retina display is nice & sharp but that's as far as it goes really. The screen definitely appears washed out and colour gamut is not as good as iPhone / iPad Air screens. Almost resembles what the first retina iPod touch was in comparison to the iPhone 4. Same retina ppi but poor colours. That might not be a big issue for most of you but if you are coming from using iPhone 5 or iPad 3/4 the colour thing might be a little off putting (it is for me).

Performance wise it is good but not brilliant. It doesn't feel like it's running the A7 as much as you would notice on the 5S or iPad Air but there are reasons behind that of course. It is still a big improvement on last years model.

The hardware as always is incredible. Same design just a little thicker and heavier but you wouldn't really notice it. It still feels very light but sturdy in the hand. The red Smart Cover looks great with it also and adds to the beauty of the device.

Can't comment on the battery life just yet but that shouldn't be an issue from the reviews I've read it should deliver more than the 10 hours of usage Apple says you will get.

Streaming 1080p video looks very good on the Mini and colours don't seem as bad there.

Basically what I'm getting at is that it's a very good tablet but has a few shortcomings that actually won't bother most people. However, if you want the very best that Apple has to offer and find the bigger screen size is still portable enough, shoot the extra € for the Air.

Do you have an air?

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Do you have an air?

Spent a lot of time using one. Ordered one for myself and sent it back before opening & opted for the Retina Mini instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just got the retina mini this morning for a friend and I've been using it for a while. Definitely agree the screen looks washed out compared to my iPhone 5.

I was thinking I might get one myself but might go for the Air now instead.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Just got the retina mini this morning for a friend and I've been using it for a while. Definitely agree the screen looks washed out compared to my iPhone 5.

As much as the colours bother me I wouldn't swap for an Air myself because the size of the mini is perfect. I'm starting to get used to it now anyway. Guess they are saving full colour gamut for the next gen to "wow" customers even more!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mdwexford wrote: »

I have an iPhone 5 and a ipad 3 , got the new mini this morning , maybe coming from using the ipad 3 , I like the screen on the retina mini . I know there are reports of the screens coming from a couple of different suppliers and the quality has varied

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 5 and a ipad 3 , got the new mini this morning , maybe coming from using the ipad 3 , I'm like the screen on the retina mini . I know there are reports of the screens coming from a couple of different suppliers and the quality has varied

The screen is good but the colour reproduction isn't as strong as the competitors or the iPad 3 and iPhone 5/5S

Advertisement