Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread rules

Options
  • 12-11-2013 9:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Is it possible for de thread starter to issue specific rules on there thread if they want? As long as this rules wouldn't be against the overall rules?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You can make suggestions. You can try pleads. You can request others to post in your preferred manner. That doesn't mean everyone will have to conform, it's just you asking for your thread to follow a particular style/path.
    I would suggest that you take into account the forum and the thread you are creating. If - for example - you are going to create a "men only" thread and request that women don't post in it you'll find that the backlash will be so noisy that your original thoughts thread will be lost. Or if you post in AH and state that only serious replies are welcome then you'll probably have to wait until the first 5 or 6 pages are past before the thread starts to quieten down.
    Pick your battles. :)

Can a thread starter lay down rules? Short answer is "No".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is it possible for de thread starter to issue specific rules on there thread if they want? As long as this rules wouldn't be against the overall rules?
    And if they are broken you'd expect a mod to take action to correct users/delete answers etc. which in practice means you'd write unique charter for the thread and that will get ugly to moderate very quickly as such threads multiply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Bogger Prince

Nody wrote: »
    And if they are broken you'd expect a mod to take action to correct users/delete answers etc. which in practice means you'd write unique charter for the thread and that will get ugly to moderate very quickly as such threads multiply.

Well wouldn't it not make sense as long as rules were ok and in line with the forum rules ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Simplest answer is to PM one of the mods of that forum first and ask them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If the rules aren't exclusionary, make sense in the context of the thread, and would somehow make the thread better/more interesting/funnier, then your best hope is that a mod agrees and lends some degree of enforcement.

I'd suggest you'd want to have very good reasons from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well I mean there's been threads if AH with a mod note about not making jokes about very serious situations before.
    But wouldn't it have to be a mod note rather than just the OP himself saying "please be serious"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Mods are there to moderate not dictate to others what they can post based on what they personally want for an individual thread. Unless the "rules" are necessary to keep order (like stopping people going overboard with jokes on sensitive topics) then I dont see any reason why they would be enforced.

And if you had to define extra rules for a thread then chances are there is a more appropriate forum elsewhere. I think a lot of these things stem from people wanting to post in high traffic forums and change the forum to their needs rather than post in the appropriate forum.

Cant have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It works for some threads. Games/puzzles/stories/specific themes.

I really wish the Picture Battle Thread could be moderated a little stricter, removing the more random non beating posts from the yokels, but.....well......meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really wish the Picture Battle Thread could be moderated a little stricter, removing the more random non beating posts from the yokels, but.....well......meh.

Do you report posts you want the mods to look at?

• Advertisement
Advertisement