Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre router to PS3

Options
  • 12-11-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for instructions on how to maximise my online gaming experience through efibre.  I had it installed yesterday and I am getting 28mbps speed approx.  There is no issue connecting any devices etc but my ps3 connection when gaming online is not as good as it should be. 

I have spoken with Playstation support and they assured me that it is my ISP that I need to discuss this with.  I also spoke with 2 x eircom technical support staff on livechat yesterday but they were not able to help.

I need basic information on how to improve this.  Do I need to open ports etc?  If so can you direct me regarding this as I can not find the new Efibre Zyxel model on portforward.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of options now.  Do I need to open ports (if so, how?), do I need to set static IP address on ps3, change MTU setting on ps3 etc?

Thank you in advance,

Koolhanger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Just port forward the standard PS3 ports. Log into your router, usually 192.168.0.1 .

From there go to port forwarding and stick in the ports you wish to forward, they are Ports TCP 80. TCP 443. TCP 5223. UDP 3478. UDP 3479. UDP 3658.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

Thanks very much for the quick response.  I am on my way to work but will try that in the evening.  Are you familiar with what you see in the pic?  This is the screen when I do a connection test on ps3.  It does not give me a download or upload speed and note the line along the bottom re IP fragments and communications in games.

Koolhanger wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the quick response.  I am on my way to work but will try that in the evening.  Are you familiar with what you see in the pic?  This is the screen when I do a connection test on ps3.  It does not give me a download or upload speed and note the line along the bottom re IP fragments and communications in games.
    Firstly, have you got the latest firmware downloaded on the PS3?, i think the latest firmware had a fix for this issue you're having, (I THINK). I wouldn't worry about not getting the speed results like on your pic.you need to make sure MTU is 1500 in both the PS3 and router if you have the latest PS3 firmware and the problem still persists, as i think this resolves the issue.

Also try putting the PS3 into DMZ to see if it cures things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

hallo dare wrote: »
    Just port forward the standard PS3 ports. Log into your router, usually 192.168.0.1 .

From there go to port forwarding and stick in the ports you wish to forward, they are Ports TCP 80. TCP 443. TCP 5223. UDP 3478. UDP 3479. UDP 3658.
    He already has NAT2. Port forwarding is overkill [never mind accepting ****e traffic from the interwebby on those ports, slowing you down more] and, more than likely, not needed. Maybe just enable uPNP on the eFiber router, if it's there.

OP, are you using wired or wireless? Speed is not the only factor to good online gaming. More important is low latency. From your PC, laptop or phone/tablet can you ping a few websites to see what latency you are getting. It will be calculated in milliseconds [ms].

For example, on a windows PC, you would open a "command prompt" [this should be listed in your START -> All Programs list] and type

PING www.boards.ie

You should get something like this ]important bits in bold[
    Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 12ms

Firstly, have you got the latest firmware downloaded on the PS3?, i think the latest firmware had a fix for this issue you're having, (I THINK). I wouldn't worry about not getting the speed results like on your pic.you need to make sure MTU is 1500 in both the PS3 and router if you have the latest PS3 firmware and the problem still persists, as i think this resolves the issue.

Also try putting the PS3 into DMZ to see if it cures things.
    He wouldn't have been able to go online at all if he wasn't on latest firmware. DMZ is not bad as a test but I wouldn't leave it there. 

OP

RangeR wrote: »

He wouldn't have been able to go online at all if he wasn't on latest firmware. DMZ is not bad as a test but I wouldn't leave it there.

OP
    Agreed on firmware!!!

I agree DMZ is fine for testing, so let him try that also with the other options i gave him and come back to us.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far.

UPnP is enabled already on the router.  I have pinged boards.ie with results being Packets sent=4 Received=4 Lost=0
    Minimum = 28ms, Max =50ms Average = 35ms

Next site Packets etc = same as above, Minimum speed = 25ms, Max = 28ms Average = 26ms

Next site Packets etc = same as above, Minimum speed = 25ms, Max = 30ms Average = 27ms

Just to confirm, yes I have the latest PS3 firmware update.

I have also made the PS3 a DMZ.

Any recommendations now?  Is this slow latency compared to what is needed for good online gaming?

Regards,

Shane.

Hi,

UPnP is enabled already on the router.  I have pinged boards.ie with results being Packets sent=4 Received=4 Lost=0

Next site Packets etc = same as above, Minimum speed = 25ms, Max = 28ms Average = 26ms

Next site Packets etc = same as above, Minimum speed = 25ms, Max = 30ms Average = 27ms

Any recommendations now?  Is this slow latency compared to what is needed for good online gaming?

Regards,

Shane.

your latency is excellent, what exact problems are you experiencing? Go to Internet search on the ps3 and type www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and do a test, that will give you a rough idea of ping and speeds and let us know.

Hi,

Regards,

Shane.

your latency is excellent, what exact problems are you experiencing? Go to Internet search on the ps3 and type www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and do a test, that will give you a rough idea of ping and speeds and let us know.
    Hi,

I find gameplay jumpy at times.

PS3 speedtest on bbmax = download speed 950kbps (is that not extremely slow?), upload speed 2430kbps, ping = 45ms   

Hi,

I find gameplay jumpy at times.

PS3 speedtest on bbmax = download speed 950kbps (is that not extremely slow?), upload speed 2430kbps, ping = 45ms   

Download is muck for sure. is everything else (laptop, phone) getting good speeds right now?

Just tested speeds on this laptop on same site.

download speed = 23277kbps

upload speed = 6829kbps

ping = 35ms

Any idea why my download speed is 23 mb on laptop and barely 1 mb on ps3?

• Advertisement

on ur ps in network settings do you have media server connection disabled. try that. i know that when its enabled on mine it upsets my speeds.
    are you wired or wifi?

on ur ps in network settings do you have media server connection disabled. try that. i know that when its enabled on mine it upsets my speeds.
    are you wired or wifi?
    Media server connection is disabled on ps3.  I am on wireless connection.  Too far away from router to get wired but I have good wifi signal, 92% at lowest, normally says 100%

grand, go into settings and connection status list on ps. what channel number is showing

Should I have a specific channel selected on router or should I leave it on auto?

i use 9. try that

grand, go into settings and connection status list on ps.  what channel number is showing
    Showing channel 10 at the moment.  It is set to auto on router page.

Yeah, just for hahas try it on 9,also did you look up the MTU on the router and the same on your ps like i was saying earlier?

Yeah, just for hahas try it on 9,also did you look up the MTU on the router and the same on your ps like i was saying earlier?
    I have changed channel to 9.  I set MTU on ps3 to 1500 earlier but cannot find MTU section on router page?

Should my Primary DNS setting be same as Default Router?  And should I have any Secondary DNS setting?

for my primary dns i use 8.8.8.8 and secondary i use 8.8.4.4 but thats how my routers set up, try your routers address as your primary, dont worry avout secondary and see how you go, plus, to eliminate alot of problems you should really try to get the ps wired to the router even temporary to see what the speeds are like.

• Advertisement

for my primary dns i use 8.8.8.8 and secondary i use 8.8.4.4 but thats how my routers set up, try your routers address as your primary, dont worry avout secondary and see how you go, plus, to eliminate alot of problems you should really try to get the ps wired to the router even temporary to see what the speeds are like.
    Hi, unfortunately I cannot connect wired to router as my tv is wall-mounted and in a different room.  If I bring ps3 to router then hdmi cable is not reaching tv and I have no other tv that I could use temporarily to check, they are all wall-mounted.  When I changed to channel 9 as you said it slightly improved my download speed so I think I'll just have to leave it at that for now.  Thanks a million for letting me intrude on your evening and for all the help Hallo Dare!!

aw ur grand, just a pity we couldn't get it sorted, im sure someone will pop on here at some stage and just go "do this" and you'll be flying. sorry about that. may be worth heading onto ebay and getting a long ethernet cable for cheap and to just see, then you could get homeplugs and alls sorted. wired is always better if you can.

Thats a good idea, especially as I'll want best possible connection for ps4 when I eventually get one.  Thanks again!

Ps my download speed has improved now to 7000kbps and upload of 2820kbps with ping of 47ms so thanks for the advice re channel 9!!

Advertisement