Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acne scarring

• 12-11-2013 10:45am

Just wondering if anyone else suffered with this? Caught my reflection in the mirror as the light was coming through the window earlier and realised how bad my skin actually is. I have loads of hyperpigmentation (raised dark areas), a very bumpy texture and some pitted scars from blackheads :(

Has anyone found an effective treatment for any of these that doesn't involve thousands of euros? I'm pretty raging as I've been going to the dr with this for years but always get fobbed off - they tell me my skin isn't that bad, but it is pretty bad and has now started to scar, which is exactly why I wanted to sort it out (in the past it used to clear up completely every now and then) but I wasn't given any useful treatment, just a gel that dried my skin out and made my acne even worse. The pill Yasmin was amazing for it, skin was perfect on that, but had to come off it due to migraines, and my current pill makes my skin worse, if anything. :(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I had very bad acne as a teen and it flared up again recently (stress I would wager). I didn't ever find those awful creams or antibiotics from the gp did any good, so this time I decided to invest in skincare instead. I got a dermalogica facial and bought the stuff they recommended, its expensive but my skin already seems to be clearing up a bit :-) might be worth considering, good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have near flawless skin but I have a few flat,red acne marks. I use this and its getting rid of them and my thin wrinkles. I use this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Hydrox-Lotion-175-ml/dp/B000052YM7/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1384392961&sr=8-10&keywords=glycolic+acid

This is the strongest one produced in America.I didnt think it was working until my skin felt extremely soft and smooth this week. Here it is explained by a dermatologist. I have had a major spot in a while. This cream takes about 6 weeks to see proper results. But it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAG_cr5TCHA

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sturdyhairy

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else suffered with this? Caught my reflection in the mirror as the light was coming through the window earlier and realised how bad my skin actually is. I have loads of hyperpigmentation (raised dark areas), a very bumpy texture and some pitted scars from blackheads :(

Has anyone found an effective treatment for any of these that doesn't involve thousands of euros? I'm pretty raging as I've been going to the dr with this for years but always get fobbed off - they tell me my skin isn't that bad, but it is pretty bad and has now started to scar, which is exactly why I wanted to sort it out (in the past it used to clear up completely every now and then) but I wasn't given any useful treatment, just a gel that dried my skin out and made my acne even worse. The pill Yasmin was amazing for it, skin was perfect on that, but had to come off it due to migraines, and my current pill makes my skin worse, if anything. :(

Any ideas?

Hi, my daughter used to have acne on skin before , what she did was to consult a dermatologist , she was given an anti allergenic soap for washing but be sure to wash the affected area twice only so it won't dry your skin:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm watching this with interest. My skin is clear now, but I suffered badly with acne when I was younger, so without make up, my scarring is really obvious.

I find bio oil did help a bit, but not a huge improvement by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Egg white masks are quite good for fading the colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

http://mccabespharmacy.com/shop/scars/face-scar-face-scars-dermatix-scar-gel-ireland.html

Dermatix silicon gel is recommended !!

Hope that helps ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Re the Dermatix

Has anyone here used this?

Can you wear makeup over it and do you need a prescription for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I’ve a couple of pitted scars and many red marks from acne. I’ve been dealing with acne and it’s scars for over 10 years now. I’ve spoken to doctors, cosmetic surgeons on done lots of my own research. This is what I’ve found out:

Treatment depends on the scar. For pitted or textured scars laser resurfacing, dermabrasion and scar excision are the only options. In some instance a combination is recommended. Another option is injectable skin fillers that will fill out the scar, however these will need topping up every 6-12 months. Creams or topical lotions are not going to help heal this type of scar.

Hyperpigmentation or red marks are in a way more difficult to treat because improvement with the likes of lasers varies from person to person. There are dozens of creams out there that claim to fade this type of scar, I’ve probably tried most of them and in my experience I’m afraid to say they don’t do anything except waste your money. I’ve also tried glycolic peels, microdermabrasion, therapeutic facials etc, but they did not fade my red marks. I’ve heard of Dermatix and looked into it’s success rate. From what I’ve read it works best on very recently healed (as in no longer open wound) scars. After all the money I’ve spent on creams over the years I’m reluctant to spend any more until I can read the clinically trial results of such a cream.

I’m sorry that I don’t have a better answer but I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Ive heard that dermarolling is great for acne scars.
    Just google it you should see alot of'success stories'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobbyandbenji

Hi, one of the best treatments for acne is radio frequency treatments with needling. It seems to work very well on scars but not on active acne. If you have spots or mild acne try this link.
    www.clearogen.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I've started using Indeed Labs Peptabright serum (boots) for the same prob. Haven't noticed results yer but got it as Caroline Hirons raved about its effectiveness. I'm using it 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Hi

I've been using Peptabright since the beginning of October, since reading the same post on Caroline Hirons' blog. To be honest, I've only noticed a minimal difference. These things take time, so I'll keep using until after Christmas and re-assess then, as I'm mainly using it to get rid of some pigmentation patches

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Sheela wrote: »
    I've been using Peptabright since the beginning of October, since reading the same post on Caroline Hirons' blog. To be honest, I've only noticed a minimal difference. These things take time, so I'll keep using until after Christmas and re-assess then, as I'm mainly using it to get rid of some pigmentation patches

I really hope it works over time, so sick of investing in skincare that doesn't work! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I have quite a lot of acne scarrIng :( every time I pull back the skin on my cheeks the scars disappear leading me to believe that a face lift would get rid of them. Obviously that's too drastic so will keep searching for treatments. I always avoid bright sunlight in front of people as it really shows up the deep scars I have

Advertisement