Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term dog minder

Options
  • 12-11-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a dog owner who would be interested in minding my dog for an extended amount of time. I recently got offered a job abroad for 12 months and with the lack of opportunity here I am forced to really consider it. Of course I would pay for the service.

Kennels are not an option. Way too long. I would not take the job if that was the only option.

If anyone knows of someone who might be interested I would very much appreciate their details.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

What breed of dog is it? Sex and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ciaran1210

Sorry, She is a 1 year old Springer Spaniel. She is very loving and very gentle. She is also spayed and very healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Ciaran1210 wrote: »
    Sorry, She is a 1 year old Springer Spaniel. She is very loving and very gentle. She is also spayed and very healthy.

Where are you based? Are you looking for a certified minder or just someone who would be able?

I'm based in Mid lands but would be willing to travel to the right home.

I would be hoping for a current dog owner who loves dogs and would provide a caring home. Does not necessarily need to be certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is bringing her with you a complete non-runner? Or have you any family members that might step up for the year?

A home as you're describing is going to be extremely difficult to find and to be honest I'm not sure I'd want to give someone else the responsibility. I'm presuming you're going to cover all costs and vet fees if needed?

Have you thought about doing a deal with a home-boarder?

• Advertisement

Really i am initially looking to see if it is even an option. My decision to go or not depends wholey on finding a good home for her.

Yes, cover all costs, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

wow, just wanted to say, that it must be very hard to make a decision like this when you have to leave your beloved dog, but circumstances being in a way to nearly force you to consider it. GOOD LUCK in your search, and I hope you manage to get her/yourself/job sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

You would pay a minimum of 10 euro a day for home minding. It is usually more, but I suspect that would be the least any home minder would go to. So that would be about 3,500 euro for the year. Would you actually spend that. It would be cheaper to bring her with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Where is the job based? If it's in europe it's easier to transport dogs around than a lot of people think, so maybe it is an option to look into bringing her with you? We traveled home to Ireland 2 years ago with 3 dogs in tow...even with 3 it didn't cost anything near €3,500!!

It does seem expensive but i suppose i would be willing to pay that to ensure she well be safe until i return.

Thanks AONB for the best wishes.

• Advertisement

Thanks fiounnalbe. The job is in Russia. I will definitely look at potentially bringing her with me.

My biggest concern with traveling there would be the cold and the long hours id need to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Is she insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

Ciaran1210 wrote: »
    It does seem expensive but i suppose i would be willing to pay that to ensure she well be safe until i return.

I've messaged you with the phone number of someone who might be able to do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Will pm you some details also

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

Hi Ciaran i will look after your dog for you if you insure her for vets and cover her food each week i have a springer and 2 terriers and am a total dog-lover. She would have to spend 1 weekend with me to be sure that she would get on with mine but springers are generally docile.

Mine are walked twice a day and fed twice a day they live indoors and enjoy loads of freedom and attention. I had 6 dogs but three have now passed on from old age 15,16 14 years old. I have owned dogs since my birth and prefer them to children, All the best dont miss your opportunity abroad in these times there are genuine dog lovers in Ireland and especially on this site. Let me know if you find a solution. Sabina

Advertisement