Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time it takes to get from 457 to citizenship

Options
  • 12-11-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a ball park estimate on this. Basically, I am currently on a 457 sponsored by my employer and they have indicated that they would be willing to nominate me for PR and possibly pay for some/all of the costs to obtain it.

However, my plan was always to go home within the the next year or so but I reckon if I was to take this offer, I would possibly look at going the whole hog and getting citizenship. I was just wondering if anyone would know how long it would take to get from applying for PR to getting citizenship?

I realise that you have to be on PR for at least 12 months prior to applying for citizenship so that would throw a spanner in the works of going home within the next year but I'm just trying to get a feel for how long more I would have to hang around for to get my hands on the passport.

Many thanks
    Muddy Fox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

To apply for citizenship, you need to be living in Australia for at least 4 years, with minimum of 12 months of that time on a PR visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of that requirement and I have been living here for over 3yrs now so satisfying the 4 yr rule will not be a problem.

What I'm actually after is a timeline for how long it would take from applying for PR through employer nomination to getting citizenship....If anyone who has gone through this could give me an insight, it'd be greatly appreciated? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'm in this boat at the minute.

Keep in mind that the 457 to sponsored PR is not exactly rapid fast either.
    I'm still on a 457, have put through the application for PR (ENS 186) and have been waiting 6 months at this stage.

So whatever time it takes to get 457 to PR + 12 months in the country on PR + 3-6 months waiting on the citizenship application. Apparently there is a pretty big back log for citizenship too. I heard you can turn around the citizenship application faster if you apply from the sticks and not a city. Could be bull**** though.

So all in all, I reckon 2 years from 457 to citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Muddy Fox wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I was aware of that requirement and I have been living here for over 3yrs now so satisfying the 4 yr rule will not be a problem.

What I'm actually after is a timeline for how long it would take from applying for PR through employer nomination to getting citizenship....If anyone who has gone through this could give me an insight, it'd be greatly appreciated? Cheers

Ah ok. Employer nominated PR could take 6-9 months to come through depending on a few different factors ie whether you're using an agent, what state you applied though, complexity of your application (de facto partner etc). So your total wait time to apply for citizenship would be that 6-9 months (roughly) + 12 months of being a permanent resident. It took me a few months to gather all the relevant info for my PR visa so you should probably allow about max two years from now til you can apply for citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Am i correct in saying, to satisfy the 4 year rule none of your time on a 457 counts towards the 4 year requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Citizenship processing is very fast, less than a month including the test etc. It's waiting for the ceremony can take time as it's run by your local council, a small council area that has very little immigrants might only run twice a year where somewhere like Parramatta or Sydney CBD run every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Am i correct in saying, to satisfy the 4 year rule none of your time on a 457 counts towards the 4 year requirement?

3 years of it will.

The 4th needs to be PR

mandrake04 wrote: »
    3 years of it will.

The 4th needs to be PR

Doh, i meant to type 417 (whv) not 457

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Doh, i meant to type 417 (whv) not 457

Pretty sure it does count. The requirement is 4 year lawful residence in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

WHV counted towards my cousins ex boyfriend when he went for his citizenship but in the end he didn't need it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yep, time on a whv, 457 all counts.

As for the time frame you'd be looking at, I've recently gone through the same process and it was about two years from the time I started gathering all my documents for residency to actually attending the citizenship ceremony.

That is good to know.

I will hopefully have citizenship 10 mths sooner than i thought i would. Happy days!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There is going to be a flood of these queries id say as the GFC is coming onto 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

Thanks to everyone for the informative responses – This was exactly the kind of information I was after. Hopefully it can help some other people in the same boat.

The general consensus seems to point to the guts of 2 years, if not longer, from applying for PR to getting your citizenship – I was hoping for maybe closer to 18 months, 2 years is that bit too long unfortunately. I’ll have to give it some serious thought over the next week or so as I need to have a decision made by end of the month.

Thanks again
    Muddy Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Muddy Fox wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the informative responses – This was exactly the kind of information I was after. Hopefully it can help some other people in the same boat.

The general consensus seems to point to the guts of 2 years, if not longer, from applying for PR to getting your citizenship – I was hoping for maybe closer to 18 months, 2 years is that bit too long unfortunately. I’ll have to give it some serious thought over the next week or so as I need to have a decision made by end of the month.

Thanks again
    Muddy Fox

What's an extra 6 months? The benefits of having citizenship over PR is massive. You won't need a visa ever again.

Advertisement