Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right board but i'll give it a go....

When I first moved to where I live I started babysitting for local families, I charged €5ph as I wasn't long out of school...
    fast forward 6 years and I now have a degree in early childhood education, first aid, driving license and references from 3 years of experience working in childcare.

Some of the girls I work with tell me i charge way too little and should be charging at least €10ph... I recently took on one new family and told them it was €10ph and they were happy to pay that.

So my dilemma is do I bring my rates up now for the other families I babysit for? And if so how do I go about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you get on well with them I would not double the price but maybe up it slightly,it maybe a case that they can not afford to use you anymore so you would get less jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I would agree, you don't want to loose them, have you many at the €5 rate. I would maybe up it after 12 or 1am maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'd imagine if you bring it up with the families that are still only paying €5 an hour you may well find they know full well they're getting you cheaply.

I'd be delighted with a babysitter with your qualifications at €5 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

thanks for the replies I have 4 families at €5ph they wouldn't be regular though one might be once a month, the rest maybe once every 3months but would normally be for 5+ hours

The family that pay 10ph get me every 2nd week (at least) and would be 3-4hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'd just simply tell them that you have to increase your hourly pay which has remained the same for the past 6 years, due to fuel rises and that your fully qualified etc. As a previous poster said- don't double it completely, I'd say €8.
    I can't see you having much problems with them, as they've for you to babysit for the last number of years, they trust you and won't want to have to get another sitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement