Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tec Maxim vs Sonic45 vs Dan Hardy

Options
  • 12-11-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Thinking of getting suppressor for my 308. Have my own experience with A-Tec and it's only good. Heard good things about Sonic 45 and Dan Hardy as well. Supposed to be more quiet than a tec Maxim, and I like bigger part of it over the barrel vs maxim as well. Does anyone have done any comparisons between them or who could recommend which. Also can Dan Hardy mod be gotten in Ireland? Where and how much?

Thanks for the info and opinnions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭vincentf

hi z.
    have you tried an ase ultra or the one i use is a t8. excellent. very quiet. quick spray of oil either end and shake it out and air in warm room. makes it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

vincentf wrote: »
    hi z.
    have you tried an ase ultra or the one i use is a t8. excellent. very quiet. quick spray of oil either end and shake it out and air in warm room. makes it last.
    Hi, yes used T8 on my Super Varmint Tikka 223 at the time, too much weight and out of balance for my liking on a hunting rifle. Sorry should've mentioned that weight is big factor in choosing mod as well. Basically the choosing criteria in my case would be:

1 Weight
    2 Size (length over barrel and over all)
    3 Performance in noise reduction (reasonable reduction)
    4 Design (modular,strippable for cleaning, light alloy etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

which maximum did you use the 4 or 6 their is a big difference between both.iv the 6 for my 243 great sound reduction and light only adds 4 inches to barrel.very easy to clean just twist off each baffle individually to clean couldnt be easier

allan450 wrote: »
    which maximum did you use the 4 or 6 their is a big difference between both.iv the 6 for my 243 great sound reduction and light only adds 4 inches to barrel.very easy to clean just twist off each baffle individually to clean couldnt be easier

Yes, theres plenty of noise reduction from Maxim, as I said in my original post, I have good expierence with it. Just to make myself clear I was realy asking are the other two any better in any way (not just sound reduction).See, I sold Maxim with the rifle I had as a package cause it was smaller caliber than I have now. So just thinking should I go for Maxim again or look at other ones as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Have you seen the Dan Hardy for sale in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Have you seen the Dan Hardy for sale in Ireland?

Well this is what Im asking in my first post: can they be gotten in Ireland, so no, I didnt see one, but I was hoping some one knows something about them and will post on here

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Rodale Persission are very good and light. PSE composite in kinsale have the i think, Thats Edi on here that make those carbon stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/hardy-rifle-suppressor-centre-fire-over-barrel-782.aspx

if above are the hardy mod you are looking for then mike duggan rfd in killarney is a stockist.He is a big fan of them and has a few on his own rifles if you wanted a look .i have seen the above myself and they are very light and well built

Rodale Persission are very good and light. PSE composite in kinsale have the i think, Thats Edi on here that make those carbon stocks
    Yea they supposed to be very good, the only thing is I prefer over barrel mod, just to keep the stalking rifle as short as possible. Thanks for reply

gearoidol wrote: »
    http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/hardy-rifle-suppressor-centre-fire-over-barrel-782.aspx

if above are the hardy mod you are looking for then mike duggan rfd in killarney is a stockist.He is a big fan of them and has a few on his own rifles if you wanted a look .i have seen the above myself and they are very light and well built
    Good man gearoidol, that's the one! I new some one has to stock them. Would you have Mike's contact details by any chance? Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How long is the barrel on your 308 zlezlius? Reason I ask is that the shorter 308 barrelled rifles are apparently difficult to moderate with slower burning powders.

Brother has an atec maxim on a short barrled 308. He has used 4 and 6 baffles on it. Handles better with the 4 baffles and is quieter with the 6 but still usable with the 6.

I've no experience with the other brands but the Sonic 45 is 480 grams versus the 370 grams of the maxim (with 4 baffles I believe). The atec cmm4 are very light 220 grams or something but extend the barrel 160mm. Looking online the hardy seem to extend the barrel 80mm and only weigh ~350 grams, might be worth a look.

Let us know what you get in the end and how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

zlezlius wrote: »
    Good man gearoidol, that's the one! I new some one has to stock them. Would you have Mike's contact details by any chance? Thanks for the info.

Pm sent

Vegeta wrote: »
    How long is the barrel on your 308 zlezlius? Reason I ask is that the shorter 308 barrelled rifles are apparently difficult to moderate with slower burning powders.

Brother has an atec maxim on a short barrled 308. He has used 4 and 6 baffles on it. Handles better with the 4 baffles and is quieter with the 6 but still usable with the 6.

I've no experience with the other brands but the Sonic 45 is 480 grams versus the 370 grams of the maxim (with 4 baffles I believe). The atec cmm4 are very light 220 grams or something but extend the barrel 160mm. Looking online the hardy seem to extend the barrel 80mm and only weigh ~350 grams, might be worth a look.

Let us know what you get in the end and how it performs.

The barrel is 22". Dan Hardy looks like the one Im looking for, being light weight and with only 8cm added length. Even if it wasn't the quietest in the world, still looks good. At the end of day I just want to take some of the bang to make it more comfortable for my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

My buddy has a hardy mod he got it off mick Duggen I think I had had it in my hand very light mod he said its not quite as good as a t8 but not far off it but for the wieght of it. its brill I could not get over how light it was I use a t8 it's a pig but it works :)

Advertisement