Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom mail hacked.

Options
  • 12-11-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi I have just recieved over 2000 returned to sender mails as my account wan hacked on webmail. The return to address had been changed.
    I have changed it back to my eircom.net address.
    Is this all I need to do?
    Can anything be done to prevent it?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Your account doesn't have to be hacked in order for someone to "send emails as you". It's actually very easy, unfortunately. They don't use your account. They just setup their own email server and tell it to send emails as you. Well, that's one possible outcome. The other is that your account was hacked. It's unlikely though as it's easier to spoof your account rather than take it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Thanks, still getting the emails,  what should I do?

Still contact eircom to see if your account was actually hacked. If it was, they will see dodgy goings on in their logs. If your account wasn't hacked, you will just have to grin and bear it until it stops. Unfortunately, it might not be an eircom problem.

You might be able to lessen it on your side. If you are using an email program like outlook, you can create a rule to delete failure bounce backs so you never see them. Keep this rule active for a few weeks.

When I logged in to eircom webmail I found that my return address ahd been changed to a gmail one. so I figured it had been hacked.
    any eircom guys there to contact me? I cant find a number or address and the abuse form on the site is not working.

jamesbil wrote: »
    When I logged in to eircom webmail I found that my return address ahd been changed to a gmail one.
    Ok, I missed that point, sorry. That's a definite bad sign. Either they have your password or eircom have a weakness :(

Change your password.  Don't have your password as a dictionary word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

When I logged in to eircom webmail I found that my return address ahd been changed to a gmail one. so I figured it had been hacked.
    any eircom guys there to contact me? I cant find a number or address and the abuse form on the site is not working.
    Hi jamesbil

I'm sorry to hear of this, something does seem very odd. This will be investigated by email support. Please contact email support on 1890260260, if you are not an eircom broadband customer please contact 1530277100.

Thanks

Al

any chance of an office number the 1530 numbers cost a fortune to call?

If yer not a paying eircom customer, you have to pay for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

As advised, best to change your password asap - http://www.eircom.net/password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi jamesbil

Unfortunatley not, there is no office number but there is a number for eircom customers which is 1890260260 however I'm not sure they will be able to help you if you are not an eircom customer. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Got it all sorted, changed password, fine for a few days then it was hacked again today with name and return address being changed.
    Is this a  security breach on eircom servers?

Got it all sorted, changed password, fine for a few days then it was hacked again today with name and return address being changed.
    Chances are that your computer has a keylogger or similar infestation. You need to clean your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks for updating the thread jamesbil

Mark

Advertisement