Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go or not to go....

Options
  • 12-11-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Need some decent advise from people who have been in a similar situation.

I'm at a serious cross roads.

I am a 22yr old male working in an IT company in Dublin. It is an extremely good job with good pay and a great working environment. I was very lucky to get hired seen as I was only finished college with a degree in computer networking and no experience. They have really took me under their wing and now I am moving up the ranks with a lot more responsibilities etc. I am learning so much and gaining so much experience, things are always looking up as we are a relatively new company who are on the rise I believe. We are constantly earning new contracts with high profile customers worth millions. The job does have its low points and can be monotonous at times but i suppose what job doesn't have its bad times.

Anywho, my point is that I would also love to go travelling. As I am very young I still have a lot of 'wild oats' to sow and I have a strong urge to go and enjoy my life. I have family in OZ and would love to go see them for a few months and then move on to NZ and Thiland and eventually make my way back to America and then all over Europe.

My problem is that I can make a decision. I know that if I don't go travelling I will always regret it and feel like I wasted my youth but then on the other hand i have a very good job which will get better over time and I feel that If I go travelling for 3/4/5 years that it will be very hard to restart my life back in Ireland, things may move on very quickly.
    I also have the fear that travelling is not all that its cracked up to be, I know its all about the experience but at the end of the day people need money to travel and once my savings run out what will I do??? I know I can always work part time in bars and laboring etc. but i would be always thinking about the good job I gave away while I'm sweeping floors or what not.

I also have the issue of my SO, we are together for 6yrs but I feel that if I am going to go travelling that I want to do it alone or with mates as that is the best way to experience it....but that is a story for another day, she is just another influence on my decision.

Can someone please give me some guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

how did you manage to get very good salary with no exp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taway16

zweton wrote: »
    how did you manage to get very good salary with no exp?

In these times any sort of pay is good!!!!

Its a decent pay for a recent graduate, my SO is working in retail doing more hours than me and im getting double the wage...so im calling that decent.

any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

id say go you wont regret it.:) they will be the days you look back at and smile not being stuck in a job wondering what if every day. How much exp have you already because if you had 2 years you would pick up an i.t job wherever your heading, where are you thinking of going?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

I would agree with the above poster, when you look back on your life are you really going to be saying how great it was not travelling the world and what a great job you had? No, youre going to be slapping yourself in the face thinking why didnt i do it! lol

In all seriousness if its something youd like to do, go for it. If you arent sure you are into travelling go interrailing on your own or with a friend for a couple of weeks and youl get a feel for it. You arent the first person to arrive at this crossroad and you wont be the last. Work for another year, save and get a bit more experience under your belt, then feck off travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'm not sure from reading your opening post how long you want to go for. The second paragraph suggests a typical year around the world thing but then you're talking 5 years in the next paragraph.

Have you thought about dipping your feet in the water first to see if travelling is something you really enjoy. You could use the holidays your job affords you and travel around Europe for a few weeks. You'll probably know for sure after that whether you want to go for an extended period of time, or if being away for a few weeks is enough at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

At 22 your still young. If in a good company I would develop your career for 4-5 years post grad and then your still in mid 20's which is perfect for travelling. I would advise to hang tight for a while but avoid getting tied down with anyone or thing and then cut loose in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f@&king big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of f€&king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f&@k you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f€&king junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f€&ked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Does the company offer any career break options? That way you could travel, yet still have a job for when you returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I don't understand why you have to do it now? You are 22 and at that most are in 3 rd of college. Take least stay in the company so you have 2 years experience and can get a job easier elsewhere. Otherwise you will spend a year travelling the world and the trying to get a job with I assume 6 months experience

Advertisement