Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heya

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

anybody have a clue as to how many lads and lasses are studying engineering here???. . and of these how many are girls?? thanks xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

'Here' as in this part of boards.ie, or here has in the University of Limerick?

I don't know what the ratio is between 'lads and lasses', but I know 100% of the lasses are girls

Phrase your question better and you'll get a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

having a girl in an engineering class is a rare sight

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Depends on which engineering. Biomedical Eng. tends to have the highest numbers of girls (maybe 10-15), smaller numbers in Mech. and then very few in Aero

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

In elecrtonic and computer engineering, 2nd year, there are 38 people (I think), 3 of which are girls. At the start of last year, there were roughly 60 in the class, and 4 girls.
    In engineering maths, there are surprisingly quite a few girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ricimaki wrote: »
    In elecrtonic and computer engineering, 2nd year, there are 38 people (I think), 3 of which are girls. At the start of last year, there were roughly 60 in the class, and 4 girls.
    In engineering maths, there are surprisingly quite a few girls.

When you're calculating the odds of finding your future lover don't forget to carry the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Your name would suggest that you're a girl, and considering not going into engineering because there aren't a lot of girls in it. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Owen_S wrote: »
    Your name would suggest that you're a girl, and considering not going into engineering because there aren't a lot of girls in it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe she is lookin for the handy ride ; )))

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itgirl268

actually i am in engineering!!! im trying to calcuate how many girls in totall are in the college doing engineering for a report!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I'd say you're asking the wrong people then,
    If you're doing a report, should be able to ask someone who should be able to give a very accurate figure, SAA maybe, dno, or even head of engineering department.
    As someone in Economics and Sociology, wouldn't have a flying notion about it, could tell you I bet it's low, around 10-20% mark, would also be able to tell you that it's about 50/50 in my course, no use though... :P
    Don't see it being a confidential statistic either, should be easy enough to retrieve..
    Good luck on report!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

itgirl268 wrote: »
    actually i am in engineering!!!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I'd say you're asking the wrong people then,
    If you're doing a report, should be able to ask someone who should be able to give a very accurate figure, SAA maybe, dno, or even head of engineering department.
    As someone in Economics and Sociology, wouldn't have a flying notion about it, could tell you I bet it's low, around 10-20% mark, would also be able to tell you that it's about 50/50 in my course, no use though... :P
    Don't see it being a confidential statistic either, should be easy enough to retrieve..
    Good luck on report!

While this is probably the correct way to do this; I can't see SAA giving you those figures. The engineering department might.

However the best method would be to contact engineers ireland and ask them. They will respond and more than likely give you the information you need (plus for other colleges and historical figures too).

If that fails; go to linkedin, find the graduate UL engineers group and count the number of women (or get an approximate figure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

reunion wrote: »
    If that fails; go to linkedin, find the graduate UL engineers group and count the number of women (or get an approximate figure).

That's what I was thinking, if you can actually retrieve the results yourself by going to classes and checking, I don't see any reason why they might want to keep it from you, especially if it's part of a college report!

I would, if the options there though, try and go for the bigger one, wider audience, generally more is better, unless what you're doing is UL exclusive..

Advertisement