Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre Installation Question

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

eFibre has finally been enabled where i live but i have been told that i will have to wait until December 3rd for the install.

My question is, what does this install entail? I don't have any phone attached to the phone connection (i only use broadband). In this case do i need to have the faceplate change to use eFibre? Is there some other change that can be made?

I called 2 months ago for eFibre and asked to book so i could get it fast, but told i couldn't. I called 1 month ago for same reason. Now it's available since the 6th of November but i have to wait another month.

My internet at the moment is shocking slow, i'm lucky to get 1MB/sec. I haven't complained so far since eFibre was coming but now it's here and it's annoying that i can't get it yet. Why am i paying full whack every month for unlimited broadband when my download is so slow?

Can i at least get a discount until i get eFibre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TBi wrote: »
    eFibre has finally been enabled where i live but i have been told that i will have to wait until December 3rd for the install.

My question is, what does this install entail? I don't have any phone attached to the phone connection (i only use broadband). In this case do i need to have the faceplate change to use eFibre? Is there some other change that can be made?

I called 2 months ago for eFibre and asked to book so i could get it fast, but told i couldn't. I called 1 month ago for same reason. Now it's available since the 6th of November but i have to wait another month.

My internet at the moment is shocking slow, i'm lucky to get 1MB/sec. I haven't complained so far since eFibre was coming but now it's here and it's annoying that i can't get it yet. Why am i paying full whack every month for unlimited broadband when my download is so slow?

Can i at least get a discount until i get eFibre?
    Hi TBi

efibre installation entails an eircom technician installing a new router in your premises. Installation should take approximately 2 hours depending on what is required. If you need additional wiring to move your modem into a room that is not close by the main socket, then the installation could take longer. You don’t have to pay for installation.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience the wait for efibre has caused you however plans are always subject to change. I'm unable to offer such operational and infrastructural detail as to why there has been a delay.

If you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look into your slow speed issue and do my best to help however I will be unable to offer you a discount until the efibre comes.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Can you just send out a new modem? I'll plug it into the wall and it should work. Assuming nothing else is needed except a new faceplate, which i don't need since i only use a modem ( i don't have any phone in the house).

The socket is in the hall, no need to move it or to put it anywhere else. I've called before numerous times about the speed and there's nothing anyone could do except give me efibre. The cabinet is out on the road about 200m from my house however i'm currently connected to an exchange ¬5km away. 

This is driving me bonkers, i called in advance so i wouldn't have to wait when it was in my area. But i wasn't allowed book and now i have to wait a bloody month knowing it's available right on my doorstep.

Can you just send out a new modem? I'll plug it into the wall and it should work. Assuming nothing else is needed except a new faceplate, which i don't need since i only use a modem ( i don't have any phone in the house).

The socket is in the hall, no need to move it or to put it anywhere else. I've called before numerous times about the speed and there's nothing anyone could do except give me efibre. The cabinet is out on the road about 200m from my house however i'm currently connected to an exchange ¬5km away. 

This is driving me bonkers, i called in advance so i wouldn't have to wait when it was in my area. But i wasn't allowed book and now i have to wait a bloody month knowing it's available right on my doorstep.
    HI TBi

It's not possible to give you efibre by sending out a modem.

An installation engineer is required to install efibre broadband as there are many changes that need to be made to the faceplate, socket and wiring.

Thanks

Al

HI TBi

An installation engineer is required to install efibre broadband as there are many changes that need to be made to the faceplate, socket and wiring.

Thanks

Al
    It seems logical that the only difference in the faceplate/wiring is a filter for the phone. There modem should connect directly to the wires coming into the house. 

According to this i'm correct, the faceplate includes a high quality filter for the phone while the modem connects directly to the incoming wire. I don't have a phone, i don't need a new faceplate.
    http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Unless the installation involves changing the wire from the house to the cabinet on the road.

How about send me a modem, switch me over to efibre (i'd even take a lowly speed of 10 MBps) and keep a customer happy?

What's the harm in trying?

Or give me a number i can call to discuss this with an engineer?

HI TBi

Thanks

Al
    It seems logical that the only difference in the faceplate/wiring is a filter for the phone. There modem should connect directly to the wires coming into the house.

According to this i'm correct, the faceplate includes a high quality filter for the phone while the modem connects directly to the incoming wire. I don't have a phone, i don't need a new faceplate.
    http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Unless the installation involves changing the wire from the house to the cabinet on the road.

How about send me a modem, switch me over to efibre (i'd even take a lowly speed of 10 MBps) and keep a customer happy?

What's the harm in trying?

Or give me a number i can call to discuss this with an engineer?

Hi TBi

This is not an option. There is absoloutly no process to send a modem for efibre and an engineer is required. If you wish to discuss this further please contact the efibre team on 1800503303. eircom do supply contact information or details of technicians.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Just to note i've been a loyal customer of Eircom for the last 5+ years due to the good service i'd received to date. If needed to prove it i can send PM you the details of my last eircom account.

There were and are other cheaper options out there but i stayed for customer service. I also have eMobile.

I see that Vodafone is doing this offer for less than Eircom are asking, why should i stay with Eircom when i'm not getting the customer service i pay extra for. (That's more of a rhetorical question. eFibre hasn't been installed yet so i can still cancel and move.)

Just to note i've been a loyal customer of Eircom for the last 5+ years due to the good service i'd received to date. If needed to prove it i can send PM you the details of my last eircom account.

There were and are other cheaper options out there but i stayed for customer service. I also have eMobile.

I see that Vodafone is doing this offer for less than Eircom are asking, why should i stay with Eircom when i'm not getting the customer service i pay extra for. (That's more of a rhetorical question. eFibre hasn't been installed yet so i can still cancel and move.)

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi TBi

I can understand the disappointment caused by the delay and I would like to thank you for your loyalty to eircom however it is just not technically possible to send you a modem and install efibre yourself. There is a lot of work which needs to be carried out by the technician.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Please follow this link for more information on efibre installation and why it's not as easy as sending you out a modem for efibre: http://bit.ly/17RRzy2[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

I give up.

I spoke with customer service and they can't do anything for me. I understand that i'll be locked into a contract but i won't be staying at this current address for longer than that.

I'll be moving back to a city and will have more options, i'll make use of these at that time. Before i would have gone straight with eircom and have recommended other to as well. However why pay more for the same service, both connection and customer?

I'm still considering cancelling the eFibre order and getting service from another provider.

EDIT: I don't expect any response to this. I don't mind if some admin wants to delete this thread but they can leave it here to show others that there is nothing to gain by going with Eircom over alternatives.

Hi TBi

I'm sorry you feel this way. If It was as easy to send you an efibre modem to get efibre I would obviously do this however an engineer is required to carry out the installation of efibre due to many technical processes and procedures - some of which are detailed in my above posts which can also take up to two hours by a fully qualified technician).

Thanks

Al

I think this would not have been an issue if I was allowed book the date last month or the month before when I called and explicitly asked. I knew there would be a wait so I called in advance.

I explained on those occasions how utterly crap my connection was. It's sickening to think I could have it installed by today if I had been allowed book a slot at that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement