Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone options in the US

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Heading over late December for the year, so trying to find out.

I have a completely unlocked phone, what is the best pre paid option? Or what network to go with?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

A lot will depend on where you'll be living and if you intend on travelling and using your phone in other areas as different carriers cover different parts of the US.

I'm in NYC and am with T-mobile. $70 gets me 2.5Gb of data at 4G (throttled after 2.5Gb), 1.5 hours of streaming music per day, unlimited calls and texts (USA and 70 countries international but only fixed line for international calls).

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I'll be in Boston and won't be travelling a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm in San Diego with T-mobile and they're great. I wouldn't recommend it if you're leaving a large city often, T-mobile is only pretty good within cities. But, as mentioned by Ponster, look into carriers in Boston specifically and look for the pre-paid options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I also have T-Mobile, go to Walmart and get their 30 dollar a month, unlimited data, unlimited text and 100 minutes. It's far cheaper than anything else available, including all of the plans T-Mobile advertise on their website.

T-Mobile data is very fast once you're in the city, expect to lose it anywhere else though, their regular non-data coverage is pretty reasonable unless you're really out in the sticks. They have also deployed LTE in a lot of cities, but you mentioned using an unlocked phone so I'm guessing that won't apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I also have T-Mobile, go to Walmart and get their 30 dollar a month, unlimited data, unlimited text and 100 minutes. It's far cheaper than anything else available, including all of the plans T-Mobile advertise on their website.

T-Mobile data is very fast once you're in the city, expect to lose it anywhere else though, their regular non-data coverage is pretty reasonable unless you're really out in the sticks. They have also deployed LTE in a lot of cities, but you mentioned using an unlocked phone so I'm guessing that won't apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

We are going to san Francisco, las vegas and orlando for 3 weeks, want to get a sim card there and put like 5 or 10 dollars on it in case we lose each other etc. Is this a possibility or does USA only allow bill pay?

Yurple wrote: »
    We are going to san Francisco, las vegas and orlando for 3 weeks, want to get a sim card there and put like 5 or 10 dollars on it in case we lose each other etc. Is this a possibility or does USA only allow bill pay?

All the replies in this thread refer to pre-paid cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Ponster wrote: »
    All the replies in this thread refer to pre-paid cards.

Oh ok. Confusion. All replies say per month.

Thanks I will do some research !

Yurple wrote: »
    Oh ok. Confusion. All replies say per month.

Thanks I will do some research !

Actually it seems that they aren't all prepaid, sorry :o

I was on T-mobile prepaid and my wife is on AT&T prepaid. All you have to do is walk into any mobile store or even a Walmart to pick up a SIM. For $30 you'll probably get unlinited texts, up to 500 minutes and lots of data so you can find out where you are when lost :)

Advertisement