Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pick alarm?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I have been melting my brain for ages now trying to decide on an alarm system. There is so much contradictory advice. I wanted to get an alarm installed last year, but I was put off by lack of information from installers and a reluctance to give a proper detailed quote.

I want a cctv and alarm system. I will sort out the cctv side of it myself, maybe buying 3-4 cams on ebay or something with a dvr.

The house:
    3 bed semi with converted attic.
    Front of house has:
    1 front door, pvc with 1 privacy glass panel on each side.
    1 living room window with 3 opening windows. Small one on top (opening).
    2 1st floor bedroom windows, each with 3 opening windows. Small ones on top.
    1 side entrance door, wooden with roof leading to back yard. No house access from it.
    Side of house has 1 window on 1st floor, accessible from roof of side entrance. 2 openings, 1 too small for access.
    Rear of house has:
    1 rear double opening door. Mostly glass.
    1 window in kitchen area with 2 openings. 1 too small for access.
    1 bathroom window 1st floor, same size as kitchen window.
    1 bedroom window 1st floor with 2 openings, 1 quite small.
    Attic has 1 velux window big enough for access.

Rooms downstairs are living room, kitchen and hallway.
    Rooms 1st floor are bath, 3 beds and landing area.
    Attic is 1 room.

I think 1 pir in kitchen and living room and hall, plus 1 pir on landing 4 in total is fine. 1 contact for front and rear door, but the windows have me stumped. 1 bellbox will also be wanted, but i dont like the idea of climbing a ladder to change a battery.

I have upc phone and broadband. 3 cats in house and 2 medium size dogs out back, but sometimes they sleep in kitchen.

Is ebay a realistic option for an alarm, or would i be throwing my money away? Money is tight at the moment, but I am also of the mind that I must try deter scum from breaking in, as there have been plenty of break ins in the area lately. I can spend circa 1k if needed, excluding the cctv.

Cctv will be 1 cam covering drive-way. 1 covering back yard pointing at shed/ granny flat. One in hallway pointing at front door and maybe one in kitchen, but i may be able to cover the kitchen and yard with 1 cam.

Opinions appreciated. I was looking at alarms on ebay for around 3-500 euro, but could not find branded ones. Have never installed an alarm, but i reckon i could manage if i needed to :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On the alarm this is what to do:

Ring around and get 3 company's to come out to do a proper survey & give you a detailed system design proposal & quotation. (This is what they are supposed to do anyway). Do not accept a quotation from someone not willing to come out and look at the property. This will only lead to surprise extras down the line.
    Decide on the system you wan't and ask them to quote you for that. Remember , you are looking for a system that suits your needs not the installers.
    I'd recommend one of these 2 panels.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676093
    Make sure you are comparing like with like.
    As a minimum your system should have contact & shock sensor protection on all downstairs and accessible windows and internally a couple of PiRs (These can be adjusted for your pets needs).
    Don't accept quotations for a few internal PiRs only, these are installers looking for cheap, quick installations. On these systems someone has to have gained entry to your property before the alarm activates. By then the damage is done.
    If your looking at maintenance & monitoring ask for that included in the quotation & what calls are covered. Some company's limit annual calls to 2.
    You will have 1 service call at least , so that leaves you with 1 call annually.
    Ask for a quotation covering all call outs. Many company's will do this at no extra cost.After all it is annual maintenance.
    Re monitoring, your UPC line will work fine. Don't mind those who tell you it wont. They are just trying to sell you a dearer ,less secure, GSM.

Hope this helps.
    If you need anything else give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Any recommendations on suppliers and installers? I'm in north Dublin. Not looking for monitoring, but hadn't considered maintenance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Taka a look at the suppliers sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    And the PSA register and other info here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242435

Would this cctv system be compatible with the Siemens alarm? Or am I going in the wrong direction? I definitely want a recorder function, but I am getting lost with all the info.

Is there a link to the system you are asking about?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is there a link to the system you are asking about?

Sorry it did not link. Here it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CAMERA-CCTV-SECURITY-SYSTEM-4ch-DVR-HOME-DIY-RECORDER-KIT-250GB-500GB-1TB-2TB-/161105460179?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Happy enough to pay extra for a wireless version, but if the price gets too high, I can just use the cctv system separate from the alarm, rather than paying crazy money for it to be compatible.

Any advice in this, as I would like to get moving with an alarm installation soon.

I am also interested in the X10 home automation stuff, if anyone has opinions in this and where and what to get. I only want it for my downstairs, down lights in the hall and maybe also for turning the gas heating on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

If you are going for a monitoring i would avoid the PIR sensor in the kitchen if the pets sleep there. For monitoring to be allowed to call the gardai i think (i could be wrong) needs to have 2 sensors trigger (usually contact and PIR) for validation purpose. When I got my phonewatch installed they advised on 2 PIR's one for the hallway and one for the landing, this was on the basis that i had contact/shock sensors on all windows and doors.

Using alarm verification that's correct.
    The site and keyholders will be contacted on a single activation. More importantly, a keyholder will be called back if a verified alarm comes in after they have been contacted initially.
    For X10,look up UK Automation
    http://www.uk-automation.co.uk

So I think I am all set.

I am having one of the listed companies put in a siemens alarm. i am going for the 4321 panel with door and window sensors and a couple of pir sensors. Will be getting the dialler to work with upc for self monitoring. I just have to wait for the stuff i am supplying to arrive.

I have ordered X10 double light dimmers for hall and kitchen. I got a switch for the heating and a computer control module, plus a free remote control for spending over £100 at the uk automation site.

I also ordered my cctv system just now. Getting a 1TB 8 channel DVR with alarm input and web access. Also 2 sony 700tvl mini domes for inside and 2 700tvl weather proof domes for outside the house. I am hoping the cctv system will work with the alarm, but if they are not compatible, i can live with that.

Now all I need is a hungry Tiger and a pit of venomous snakes in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

where did you buy the cctv system,i want to get one myself,too many choices out there

mr lee wrote: »
    where did you buy the cctv system,i want to get one myself,too many choices out there

Domarsolutions.co.uk

Delivery to parcel motel up north saved a few quid too.

Alarm installed earlier today (well, yesterday I suppose). I am impressed with the alarm itself. It will take getting used to, but being able to control it using an app is brilliant.

I am looking forward to having the X10 and cctv equipment installed. I'll be freaking the kids out with the lights going on and off :D

Advertisement