Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Collie in Dog Park herding

• 12-11-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

There was a border collie at the weekend in the dog park I was in, beautiful dog. It was lying next to its owner and while I was playing with a tennis ball with my dog, the collie suddenly ran at my dog (a bichon) who wasn't going in its direction or that near it, growled and took a nip, not in a playing way but in an aggressive way and then retreated back and lay down next to its owner again. I was a bit annoyed at the owner by his nonchalance but he just said "Its a border collie, its what they do" in a 'are you stupid' sort of way. The collie did this to another dog about two minutes later (again not playing too near it) and again the owner didn't say anything to his dog, just repeated the mantra "Its a border collie, its what they do" before leaving the park a while later.

Yes this is herding behaviour for border collies and the way they sometimes exhibit fear etc but should the owner not be trying to teach the dog to curb this behaviour when they are pets and not working dogs? It's easy enough to tell aggression from playing when the dogs are in the park but I was the only owner to say it to him. Rather than just put down a rant as a thread I'd love people to tell me what they think is the correct thing to do/say in this situation. Walking away is obviously an easy way but the owner is the problem not the dog in my own opinion and something more serious could happen with a different dog who doesn't like to be pushed about?

I'd love people's thoughts as calm thought out arguments are better than spur of the moment anger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

I've had a similar experience occasionally, in dog parks, where owners of big dogs watch fondly as their dogs run at small dogs and tumble them over repeatedly. Again, not the dogs' fault, the owners don't do anything to stop the behaviour. I don't have any useful advice, I'm afraid, just joining in tocomplain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd have pointed out to him that while it's 'what they do' one day he's going to do it to a dog that doesn't appreciate it and get hurt. If the dog can't be trusted not to try work the other dogs then, unfortunately, being off-lead in a dog park is not appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

kylith wrote: »
    I'd have pointed out to him that while it's 'what they do' one day he's going to do it to a dog that doesn't appreciate it and get hurt. If the dog can't be trusted not to try work the other dogs then, unfortunately, being off-lead in a dog park is not appropriate.

My thoughts are that I avoid dog parks for the reason you mention above. Far too many thoughtless dog owners. My own dogs get on great with other dogs but they would not allow themselves to be herded around.

I don't think talking to these owners actually registers. A lady regularly walks her large dog by my house where each time it races into my garden to see if it can try to grab one of mine through our side gate. Last week after a commotion I went out & her dog raced after a car & was almost hit. It then ran after a cyclist, followed by another dog who was on a lead held by a child. All in the space of a few minutes. I suggested to her she should maybe put the dog on a lead. Her response? " Are you saying I'm not responsible?"

My 11 year old daughter looked on astonished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Thanks for the replies, thought it was going to be a dead thread. I'm not having a go at big dogs as I love them (the collie wasn't even that big) and my dog loves playing with all size dogs. The vast majority of the dogs (and owners) in the dog park are great, big and small. Just occasionally like in this case something happens and it kind of sours the dog park experience which I think I enjoy nearly as much as my dog.

Dogs like the collie mentioned need somewhere to exercise too and get out some of the vast amounts of energy they have but surely if the owner corrects the dog at the time, this would both appease the other dog owner and help towards teaching the dog rather than apathy which makes the problem worse if indeed people think it was a problem or an over reaction on my part.

In this case it wasn't an attack just a herding instinct so no harm done. If the other dog had attacked and started biting seriously I can only imagine the owners reaction which I'd guess would be to blame the other dog. I never want to say anything to another dog owner but sometimes I guess there is no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Funny I had an offlead BC race up to my pup growling - 'Oh she just wants to play but she growls'. Now the dog was fine and did want to play but that experience could have had a detrimemtal effect on my pup if she wasn't so socialized and relaxed. I don't think there's any point engaging with people like the owner you describe OP because they're just not bothered. BUT if it was a regular occurance especially with a pup who's experineces can shape the dog they are for life my response would be something on the lines that the owner should maybe engage/entertain it so it's not bothering other people's dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement