Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanksgiving Dinner in Dublin.

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for somewhere to take my gf for dinner on Thanksgiving, she's from the States and this is our first one together in Dublin. I'm not sure if any restaurants in Dublin would do a traditional American thanksgiving meal, I've a had a look around online and can't really find anything. Maybe someone knows somewhere that would do something like that, I don't mind spending a few quid but preferably not anything crazy expensive.

For the record, I would cook it myself but it's a Thursday and I'm working and definitely don't have time to cook a turkey and all the trimmings.

So, any ideas would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Woolshed do afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Woolshed do afaik.

Thanks Gavin. It's years since I was in the Woolshed, is there a restaurant part or is it still a sports bar? I was looking for more of a restaurant. I mean if I can sit down and enjoy a meal there without sports blasting out of all the tellys then I'd give it a go but from my memory of the place it's pretty loud and usually packed with sports fans.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to a decent sports bar but do you reckon it'll be packed with NFL fans, especially given that they have big games on Thanksgiving.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Try Boxty's Gallagher House or Fallon @ Bryne, just ring and ask.

Cheers Lux, I'll give those a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

The Hilon at Charlemont have an annual Thanksgiving bash;

http://www.eventbrite.ie/e/2013-thanksgiving-dinner-with-democrats-abroad-ireland-tickets-9166624621?aff=eorg

Optional donation to the Democrats.

• Advertisement

Thanks twenty10, that looks like a pretty good deal! Have you been yourself, or do you know anyone who has?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I'm afraid not, just spotted it last year so checked to see if it was on again this year when I saw your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Could you not just get a carvery turkey dinner? :confused:

I'm not sure that it's quite the same Fussyonion, I don't think you'd get the same trimmings with a carvery and I'm told the desserts play a key role, pumpkin pie mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jarrod wrote: »
    I'm not sure that it's quite the same Fussyonion, I don't think you'd get the same trimmings with a carvery and I'm told the desserts play a key role, pumpkin pie mainly.

Ah right, didn't realise.
    I don't know where to suggest but I hope you find somewhere and I hope you have a lovely time :)

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ah right, didn't realise.
    I don't know where to suggest but I hope you find somewhere and I hope you have a lovely time :)

Thanks, fingers crossed. Twenty10's suggestion looks pretty good but I wonder how politicized it is. I want to eat a disgusting quantity of delicious food without being quizzed on my views on US politics :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

My brother is married to an American girl, so 2 years ago went went to a place called beautiful mews in Stillorgan for thanksgiving dinner. I was damn good meal, and a fun night as well. Very relaxing atmosphere in the place.

I just checked and it seems that they are doing it this year again. I would certainly recommend it. http://www.beaufieldmews.com/events.html

I'd imagine you would have to book it soon as possible, because when I was there the place was jammed.

Have a great day wherever you end up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks, fingers crossed. Twenty10's suggestion looks pretty good but I wonder how politicized it is. I want to eat a disgusting quantity of delicious food without being quizzed on my views on US politics :cool:

If you are Irish and therefore not registered to vote in US elections, no one is going to care what your views are on US politics. If it is an event being run by Democrats Abroad, people may want to chat to your girl friend about being registered to vote and does she vote Democrat. (Unlike here, US citizens living overseas can vote in US elections by absentee ballot)

But I seriously doubt if anyone will hassle either of you about politics. They know that most people attending will be there for the food and to socialize with other homesick ex pats. They won't be be bugging people about politics. I've been to events here organized by the US embassy and that was very much the vibe.

PS Just don't get into any arguments about whether the cornbread is stuffing or dressing, or you'll never make it out of there alive. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Have you tried Shanahans on the Green I'm pretty certain they do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, looks like there's actually quite a bit of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

O'Connell's in Donnybrook is doing Thanksgiving dinner this year. I've eaten there quite a few times and it has always been delicious.

http://www.oconnellsdonnybrook.com/menus/thanksgiving-at-o-connells

Just for future reference, ended up going to the Woolshed last night. €12 for turkey, potato, veg, gravy, etc.. I was a little skeptical before hand but it was a great night. Definitely recommend it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just for future reference, ended up going to the Woolshed last night. €12 for turkey, potato, veg, gravy, etc.. I was a little skeptical before hand but it was a great night. Definitely recommend it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

You're welcome! ;)
    Woolshed do afaik.

Advertisement