Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco rip off alert

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Apparently tesco have increased the price of 2 litres of milk to €1.69. A whopping 20c! Aldi and lidl are only a step away. Let's vote with our purses. They did this not too long ago. We're quick to revert to the old price when customers copped on but probably not before they made a nice profit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Its going to go up everywhere .

Supermarkets which raised their prices over the last week blamed suppliers and the fodder crisis in farming for the increase.

Musgrave, which owns the SuperValu, Superquinn and Centra network, said its prices were increasing for both its own-brand milk and Avonmore and Premier milk, which are supplied by Glanbia.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fodder-crisis-leads-to-hike-in-price-of-milk-29329229.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kildub wrote: »
    Apparently tesco have increased the price of 2 litres of milk to €1.69. A whopping 20c! Aldi and lidl are only a step away. Let's vote with our purses.
    If I am voting with my "purse" then I cam going to factor in & price my free time, and fuel or energy to get the nearest aldi or lidl, they are several thousand steps away for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Wow. Another non event. The price of milk has shot up recently, it was even on the news. Glanbia are increasing the prices all the time.

While I am no fan of Tesco, they are not responsible and the way you have it written its a "ripoff"

Er, no its not.

Bit of a Moronic Title there.

OP should think before he types.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only 1.69 for a 2 liter, I dread to think how little the farmer gets out of it,

Anyway, where's the consumer issue here?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Only 1.69 for a 2 liter, I dread to think how little the farmer gets out of it,

Anyway, where's the consumer issue here?

Ohh I know 2 dairy farmers..

They are not short of a bob or 2. They work hard for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

brokenarms wrote: »
    Bit of a Moronic Tittle there.

OP should think before he types.

Ahem !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

brokenarms wrote: »
    Ohh I know 2 dairy farmers..

They are not short of a bob or 2. They work hard for it though.

Relevance? The max a farmer gets per litre of milk is 21cent BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A farmer gets hardly anything for his milk and supermarkets generally sell milk and bread at a loss to get people in the doors. The dairies are the ones making the profit. I world expect milk prices to fall in 2 years when quotes go and production soars.

I haven't shopped in tesco in years as their prices are too high and quality is poor. Lidl and aldi have far better quality no name products compared to tesco branded ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Tesco still have 2ltr Milk at €1.49 but a different brand.
    Still supplied through Glanbia no less..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hughowen wrote: »
    Tesco still have 2ltr Milk at €1.49 but a different brand.
    This must be cream fields

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=280197948

1L for 75cent
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=280846043

this is actually a tesco ownbrand as far as I know. Dunno if it is a full "phantom brand" or a partial phantom brand, i.e. they try and hide the fact its tesco and have invented a new brand, in the very fine print it might reveal it is really tesco.

They have lots of these discrete own brands now, like "curry leaf" brand sauces, and "chokablok" icecream. Most of them are as good or better than regular tesco mid-range own brand (i.e. the one between "everyday value" and "finest"), but they are usually just a little more than the value branded ones.

So now you can put that "whopping" 20cent fortune towards that holiday you're planning, or christmas presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Relevance? The max a farmer gets per litre of milk is 21cent BTW.
    That 21c was the 2009 price.

Current milk price to the farmer is 39c approx with an added bonus for some contracted volumes of 5-6c a liter. Also some bonuses/deductions apply for differing constituents and quality.

The price goes up and down hugely during the year and from year to year with base prices from 20c to 39c in the last 4 years.

Costs of production average approx 13-14c(depending on the year) and any bank repayments, wages and other costs out of the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

I shop in Dunnes Tesco and Lidl, The price of milk only seems to have gone up in Tesco and its been like that for a few weeks now. Tesco is a rip off! Im noticing a lot of other stuff as well overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

I do not see the issue for the Tesco milk as I now get the Creamfield 2L one which is €1.49.
    If anyone can prove to me that a milk brand is more that marketing please do :-)

Advertisement