Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling expenses - 'permanent' place of work?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work full-time for a company as a PAYE employee, but am regularly placed on customer sites for varying amounts of time - anything from 3 months to over a year. I seldom know at the start of each placement how long I will be there for.

I had regularly submitted mileage and vouched travelling expenses at the end of each month or two to cover the cost of me getting to the site, until I met with my manager a couple of months ago who told me that Revenue would probably not allow these as I was travelling to what would be considered a 'permanent' place of work. I immediately stopped submitting expenses, but have really been hit now with the cost of the commute.

What I haven't been able to discover is exactly what 'permanent' means. Is it where I am based over a period of one month or one year? Is it where I spend a percentage of my time? At what point does a placement on a customer site become considered to be 'permanent'?

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You could ask for a per diem payment, this from what I can remember is a tax free ( to you) stipend which you can avail of if working away from your normal office.

Rates vary but definitely worthwhile asking

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Revenue tend to look on it as your normal place of work, so would probably consider somewhere you are onsite for a year to fall under that criteria.

I'd contact revenue if I were you tbh.

Advertisement