Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Micra K11 refuses to start in the damp

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I have a 00 Micra (K11) that won't start on damp mornings. If it has rained during the night and is damp as it was yesterday morning then it will turn over but won't fire up.

Clue : When two of us were trying to get it started the other day I could see a spark shorting on the HT wire leading into the middle of the distributor.

I used a hairdryer around the distributor for a few minutes to dry it out and then it started up fine. The 4 HT leads themselves seem to be ok, it's not like it is missing on one cylinder. It's either all or nothing.

A new battery and new plugs have also recently been fitted and a spray-on insulating coating applied on the cables.

Any suggestion on what's the best way to sort out the problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Classic Micra issue. As you found it's probably the disty cap.

An older thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056885935
    More info www.google.ie/search?q=micra+start+rain+distrubtor+cap

A link to more common issues with k11
    http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/nissan-micra-common-faults.php

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Thanks Biko

As it seems to be the distributor cap related problem. Is it a case of replacing the cap and the leads as well or just the cap ?

I could get a whole distributor unit from a breakers for about €40 probably off a car of similar vintage. It seems to me that as its an electrical fault new kit is probably the way to go here.

Do you think the breakers yard route replacing with old parts would be a bit of a waste of time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Give the cap and leads a good clean and spray with WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

If you take off the cap and rub some of that spray you have around the inside cap where it mates with the distributor and stick it back on it will help keep it dry. Silicon gel is even better than the spray(guessing it's silicon spray you have?). Do the same for the little evap tube on it. Get in the habit then giving the cap a spray every few weeks as the spray doesn't last forever.

You can also clean any corrosion from the points and rotor to get a better spark.

I'd do that before replacing anything anyway.

This is the gel stuff - I couldn't find it in any motor factors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Grease-Multi-Purpose-Grease-Water-Repellent-Carlube-70g-Long-Lasting-/230700303884?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item35b6cf460c

Thanks I'll try the clean up and silicon spray route for now.

It's a Holts Ignition system spray which puts a sticky layer onto the leads it has worked out ok but as you say it doesn't last forever and you can get caught out, as I have done, if you don't re do it regularly.

A more long term solution probably means new leads and new disty cap. I see a new cap on Mick Garage for €26 and new leads are about €50.

Is there a fifth lead coming from a coil somewhere I couldn't quite make it out, I have been looking for a diagram or picture online but no luck ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

joxerjohn wrote: »
    Thanks I'll try the clean up and silicon spray route for now.

It's a Holts Ignition system spray which puts a sticky layer onto the leads it has worked out ok but as you say it doesn't last forever and you can get caught out, as I have done, if you don't re do it regularly.

A more long term solution probably means new leads and new disty cap. I see a new cap on Mick Garage for €26 and new leads are about €50.

Is there a fifth lead coming from a coil somewhere I couldn't quite make it out, I have been looking for a diagram or picture online but no luck ?

The 5th ignition lead should go from the Coil to the Centre of the distributor cap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    The 5th ignition lead should go from the Coil to the Centre of the distributor cap:)

Not sure which ignition system this is, but a lot of the had the coil built in to the distributer so there was no 5th wire to the centre of the cap.

Thanks correct, I checked and there are four leads only. One of which was sparking the other day. I re sprayed the leads and disty cap for now and all is well, however it has been dry. I do the clean up at the weekend.

Replacement HT leads are very pricy at around €60 a set. I was looking at a Utube where a guy rebuilt his Mirca HT leads using 7mm copper core wire and new connectors. I was wondering if it would be possible to re-wire the existing HT leads and re use the terminals etc. Anyone ever do this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVftH1tDXc

The connectors the guy uses in the video did not have the seals at the top of the engine block which keep water from getting in which looks like a potential problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Not sure which ignition system this is, but a lot of the had the coil built in to the distributer so there was no 5th wire to the centre of the cap.

Sorry,Had A K10 with this set up,Did'nt realise the K11was Different:o

Not sure if you have 1.0 or 1.3 but here are QH leads for €29http://www.micksgarage.com/ignition-parts/ignition-leads/nissan/micra/micra/1992-2003/1.0-i-16v/15470/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the distributor cap has tracked -very thin black tracks on the inside where the spark has followed the moisture and dirt between elctrodes - you will have to ditch it and get a new one.

I thoroughly wipe the inside of caps with a stiff silicone grease -avoiding the electrodes - and that lasts years.

• Advertisement

Did the job over the weekend. Disty Cap is difficult to remove as one of the retaining bolts is very hard to get at. Got it in the end with a small socket set and extention.

The Cap itself was not cracked but it looked like maybe the gasket was the problem on the top edge. I got some silicone grease in Maplins (€7), and applied this on the inside of the Cap and around the gasket seal. Put it back together and hopefully that will do the trick.

Another option would have been to remove the old gasket and use a RTV silicone gasket maker. I didn't do this but you can get a tube of this stuff in Halfords

Thanks for all suggestions and comments that were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, let us know how you get on in the damp :)

Here's an update, two months on. There has been some nasty wet weather recently but I havn't had any more trouble since applying the silicone grease. Worked a treat !

Advertisement