Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking trip to California for 2014

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my partner are looking into going to California for 2ish weeks in 2014.

1. When is the best time to book flights to get the best rate?
    2. When is the best time to go - I don't want to go when its tooooo hot - like, we can tolerate 30 degrees but not much more
    3. We want to travel around and considering getting one of those organised bus tours that go on for 10 days but personally I would rather have out own car so we can come and go as we wish - does hiring a car really work out more expensive than booking a tour which includes flights, travel and accommodation (generally priced at €2500)

Any advice / opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

What do you want to see?

The coast in the summer is always pretty temperate, it would rarely get above 30 in LA, far less in SF in the summer.
    Here in SF, the cooler season is actually June->September. It's cold and foggy - you need a jacket a lot of the time.The hottest, and by hot I mean early to mid 20's is from september to around now. If you're driving route 1, you'll have sun most days and bit of fog.

In LA, they basically have 2 seasons, summer and spring :). It's pretty pleasant year round

Further inland (death valley etc), you're looking at desert heat, 40's etc. However as long as you have AC and plenty of water in the car you'll be fine. We went to coachella in April this year and it was mid 30's in the sun. If you want to see things, then it's worth it.

I wouldn't go with a bus tour, you can stay flexible, find cheaper places to stay and change your minds if the weather gets too much for you. You can get pretty good deals with cars, just make sure to bring a credit card for deposits etc.

As for flights, there is no better or worse time. You need to figure how much you are comfortable paying and pay it. My parents got to SF for around 700 last year, I had to get back to ireland quickly and paid the around the same...you can also pay more for the same flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Www.skyscanner.net is great for comparing months to help get you the best deals.

We rented a car for 5 days and found it very reasonable. I agree with the poster above - September in San Fran is nippy enough!!

Absolutely amazing part of the
    World. If you do a bit of rooting around on here, I know there are a couple of threads with some great advice on where to go and what to check out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

niamh4626 wrote: »
    3. We want to travel around and considering getting one of those organised bus tours that go on for 10 days but personally I would rather have out own car so we can come and go as we wish - does hiring a car really work out more expensive than booking a tour which includes flights, travel and accommodation (generally priced at €2500)

California is such a car friendly place, personally I think it would be a shame to be confined to a bus tour.

Its a very easy place to drive as well.

Advertisement