Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes a funrnished apartment

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what items you would expect to be mandatory and optional when renting an apartment? Ive a list below - can anything be added or moved between the two?

Mandatory

Beds
    Couches
    Coffee table
    Kitchen table and chairs
    Tv stand
    Fridge
    Cooker
    Washing machine
    Hoover

Optional

Crockery and cutlery
    Bed side lockers
    Tv
    Iron and ironing board
    Kettle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Furnished to me means that it has the basics such as living room suit, beds, lockers, wardrobes, dining room table etc. Its the law for it to contain such items as a cooker, microwave, fridge, washing machine and dryer if there are no means of drying clothes outside.

A hoover is not manditory I dont think, but its never a bad idea to give the tenant a means to clean the place!

Crockery and cutlery I would not use even if it was in the property. Small money items such as a kettle and a toaster might be nice to have, but honestly as a tenant Id probably sooner grab my own in Argos/Tescos rather than use one that is there. Id say most tenants would have their own TV, so I wouldnt be bothered leaving one in the property. I certainly wouldnt leave one that was going to cost money to replace (my last place had one that was about ten years old and worth about €50 from Adverts!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just wondering what items you would expect to be mandatory and optional when renting an apartment? Ive a list below - can anything be added or moved between the two?

Mandatory

Beds
    Couches
    Coffee table
    Kitchen table and chairs
    Tv stand
    Fridge
    Cooker
    Washing machine
    Hoover

Optional

Crockery and cutlery
    Bed side lockers
    Tv
    Iron and ironing board
    Kettle

Forget about the TV. If there is one there already you can say it is there but not part of the rental. Always have an ironing board or they will iron of the kitchen counter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Always have an ironing board or they will iron of the kitchen counter

Youd swear all tenants are neanderthals the way some people go on about them... :rolleyes:

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you are putting tables etc in (presuming that's what this thread is for) can you please avoid what a lot of landlords seem to do and go and get glass topped ones? They may look modern, but they are a total disaster to keep clean between stains and fingerprints.

The question itself is fairly subjective and it will depend on the type of tenant you are trying to attract. The needs of a student looking a furnished property will be different to a married couple for example. Students will want / need almost everything furniture wise - older couples will be more likely to have accrued some of their own furniture over the years and may not want things like coffee tables.

Advertisement