Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new alarm installed - what should I get off the installer?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a new alarm system setup, what details should I make sure to request from the installer once the job is done?

The engineers code is one thing, how to change the batteries on sensors is another, what else?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

you should ask installer to run cables to the sensors were possible and request a hybrid system,cheaper option than wireless and preferred..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Why would it be preferred? Are wireless less secure?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both are equally secure. Wired is preferred as the devices are cheaper, smaller & you don't have to worry about batteries.
    Asking for the engineer code is fine, but you will be giving up your guarantee and any certification to EN50131.
    If doing this be sure to check what's on your home insurance policy.

Oh right, i thought u only lose the guarantee if you change something using the engineer code?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are very few,if any companies, who would certify & guarantee system where the user has engineer access.

• Advertisement

Is there no log of actions performed using the engineer code? Would it not be possible to detect whether I had accessed the system using the engineer code?

Anyway the warranty only lasts 1 year after which I may want to access the engineer side myself.

After a year it would not conform to EN50131 anyway.
    I doubt any licenced company is going to argue to that level with you. At the end of the day they are certifying the system to a standard. That certification is valid for a year. How can they stand over their name on that cert if you have access to settings that could alter the panel conforming to that standard.

KoolKid wrote: »
    How can they stand over their name on that cert if you have access to settings that could alter the panel conforming to that standard.

If it came down to having to fix a problem they can check the logs to see if the engineer menu has been accessed (assuming there are logs which I imagine there are on such an expensive piece of kit) and if yes, then they have every right to say the cert is no longer valid.

Like the way I can open an iPad if I want, but obviously doing this invalidates the warranty.

Basically, I'm PURCHASING the system, not renting it. I own it and I have every right to be allowed to access every part of it at a later date if I choose and not have to call an engineer.

The reason I want the code is that there may be a situation down the road where I need it. Do a search for "alarm engineer code" on google and see how many people are having issues because they don't have the engineer code.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

There are very few,if any companies, who would certify & guarantee system where the user has engineer access.

+1

If you have a service plan with the alarm company (monitoring & service) be careful with changing batteries. I know with the company I am with, if you change the batteries you will void the service contract (which is effectively an extended warranty). I innocently changed a battery on one sensor at home and they noticed it on the service visit, but the engineer was cool and said he would ignore it and he swapped it with one of their own brand batteries.

I thought it was a little much them getting upset over a battery but when he explained it, apparently cheap spurious batteries can cause the current in the sensor to drop and trigger false alarms, this upsets the monitoring station people.

Batteries can however last for 4-5 yrs so nothing too much to worry about

On most systems it is easy for any other installers to take over the system regardless of engineer codes etc.
    If your not planning on touching it why do you want it?
    There's also the fact that on many systems the log can be cleared using the engineer code.
    The fact that you own a piece of equipment does not necessarily mean you are entitled to all access codes?
    Many devices in your home have menus and functions you are not allowed access.
    Do you think you have full access to everything on your phone, your smart TV,your DVR, your set top box, you washing machine, your dishwasher, your drier?
    All of the above, and more, would have some form of engineering /programming menus etc.
    This list is going to get even longer as more and more devices become IP enabled.
    Engineer and manufacture codes are there to protect vital parts of systems. They have no end user functions.
    Most issues people have re engineer codes can easily be sorted without or by using another company .
    If, however, you want to maintain and service your own system you can have your own engineer code, the alarm will not be guaranteed and will not conform to EN50131. You can't have it both ways.
    Incidentally, this is more than can be done with most of the other devices I mentioned above.

• Advertisement

If your not planning on touching it why do you want it?

I mentioned this previously.
    Do you think you have full access to everything on your phone, your smart TV,your DVR, your set top box, you washing machine, your dishwasher, your drier?

Yes I pretty much have full access to every electronic device I own that has root access (where I find I need it of course, I might skip the washing machine) so given that I have the opportunity with the alarm I will of course avail of it should I need it.

But any device that's rooted would not be still under warranty or up to the manufacturers standards,,
    So are you up claiming every TV, phone, pvr, settop box etc you have is rooted/jailbroken?
    Have you full read /write access to all their filesystems?
    It seems to me it's more than an engineer code your looking for.

I imagine the engineer code is tied to a specific engineer? What happens if the installer goes out of business and I need to get someone else to look at it?

Any licenced company would be able to look after your alarm and access it.
    When a company or engineer tells you otherwise it means they don't know the system or they don't want to work with the panel in question. Likewise anyone can repair any of the other numerous devices around your home.

Advertisement