Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography site, Buy Prints page-

Options
  • 12-11-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My photogrpahy website Buy Print page gets a lot of views relative to website views.

But 0 sales. Tumbleweed. Granted people might browse but decide not to buy a print. But I thought I might have sold one.

So I'd appreciate it if some people could have a look at my buy prints page, go through the process of browsing and pretend to purchase a print (go all the way to where you click to confirm purhase ideally).

And give me some feedback on the page & the buying process.
    Is layout & design good, bad etc.
    Is there something that might stopping people from buying.

If you'd like me to review your site in return (I'm good at this imho) just provide me with the url and what you want and I'll return the favour.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uglybunz

Your pictures are great, but I suspect that your delivery options are letting you down. For starters, most people hunting for images online are looking for immediate electronic delivery, with more options:
    • Different resolutions/sizes.
    • Licensing options: personal use, commercial use, standalone etc.
    • If you must only sell prints, give more information and options, are they lasered on A4 copy paper or lovingly reproduced on high-grade photographic stock in the darkroom? Signed? Numbered limited runs?
    • Give away some freebies - sacrifice a few high-quality images and make them available as high-resolution Creative-Commons licensed downloads so that potential customers can get an idea of the quality of your work.
    • Offer high-priced exclusive buyouts - works sold thus will no longer be sold to others.

The idea of spending $40 on an 8" * 12" print of indeterminate quality, which could arrive creased and folded and then still needs to be mounted or framed is a huge deterrent. The fact that it's not possible to get up close and comfortable with any of your pictures doesn't help.

The site itself is adequate, your shop appears to function, it just seems to me that you're selling the wrong format for the venue that you've chosen. You're up against sites like this one: http://www.morguefile.com/archive (all free and with instant delivery) - it's not easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I think there is stil a lot you need to do with the site ... and the structure of the site needs to be thought through again.
    • Get some products for sale on the top of the home page. You have categories first, so you have to go down a layer in the website to actually buy something.
    • telling me about free worldwide delivery before I have even looked at the product ... save this for later in the sales process or move it off the product description.
    • another reason why not to buy ... " the photographs do not come framed..." save this for the approporiate time in the sales process
    • what is the purpose of the grey bar? It serves no purpose
    • negative text ... "why not ..."
    • It is not shaped like a sales page.
    • Get the products to buy up top. Get rid of the intro piece which is not actually a product for sale.
    • when you get to the products ... you don't actually tell me anything meaninful about them. When did you shoot the photo? what is the shot of? why did you take it at this time of night? You need to bring the photos alive ....

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks, I've made a few small changes.
    I've also added credit card payment option. It used to be just PayPal. They could have been a big factor.
    I'll make some more changes based on these suggestions too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm not sure that it will make a big difference in general but personally I'd be hesitant to buy because your payment page isn't presented over an SSL connection.

The small 128bit ssl protected icon in the page itself would't do much to comfort me as there's no visible means of verifying it.

As I said I don't think it will make a huge difference but it's an additional hurdle that could be removed.

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not sure that it will make a big difference in general but personally I'd be hesitant to buy because your payment page isn't presented over an SSL connection.

The small 128bit ssl protected icon in the page itself would't do much to comfort me as there's no visible means of verifying it.

As I said I don't think it will make a huge difference but it's an additional hurdle that could be removed.

How do I get one?
    is it to do with the card processor?
    Credit card payments are through PayPal, would have thought they were safe...

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    How do I get one?
    is it to do with the card processor?
    Credit card payments are through PayPal, would have thought they were safe...

thanks. I looked into it and I'd have to buy one.
    there are two costs for an SSL certificate, €89.99exVAT per year for the SSL and €25exVAT for a fixed IP address

hhmmm.
    I'd dig deeper and try if I can find out more why everyone isn't buying/dropping off once in shop.
    I'll check google anatylics but don't think it goes deeper than 'shop' (will double check).

Advertisement