Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Xbox 360 games since launch..

Options
  • 12-11-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

The 360 has been with us for what 8 years'ish and in that time has amounted an extensive library of titles to suit every taste out there.

Unfortunately it probably only has another year or so left in it with developers more than likely going to make their way to the Xbox One instead.

So I was just wondering as to what people's views were on their top 10 Xbox 360 games since launch. Lets be fair this is very much a personal thing. Everyone will have differing views so lets play nice guys. For example I have no interest in COD or GTA. Doesnt make them bad games just not for me.

Anyway mine are mainly based on what I've played and I'll be the first to admit I spent a lot of time online so I'm not the best person to ask as I still have heaps of backlog and others to buy in the next year but I'll give my 10 as it stands anyway if thats cool.

1. Halo 3 (Just simply brilliant)
    2. Gears of War (not going to give any particular one. Enjoyed them all)
    3. Halo 4 (As much as it did lend from COD, it still kept its Halo feel for the most part and I cant take away the fact that I have played it soooo much in the past year and still play online, one of the reasons I still have to get through such a big backlog)
    4. Condemned (brilliant survival horror action)
    5. Fable 2 (Could loose weeks to this game, no Zelda but great none the less)
    6. Bullet hell shooting, Deathsmiles in particular I loved. Akai Katana I'm still to get in to.
    7. Forza 4 (yes it could be higher on the list but I didnt play it as much as the above. Amazing racing sim)
    8. Street Fighter 4 (I'm still an old school SF2 fan but you cant deny how amazing this game is)
    9. Project Gotham Racing (Played the hell out of this when I first got the console all that time ago)
    10. Controversially I'm going to put NHL 2014 on this list. I've only got the game but it takes me back to when NHL games were fun. No messing with analogue sticks to shoot or slow build up. Just end to end madness. I can see myself loosing a lot of time to this in the coming months especially when the lads are round at xmas for drinks.

So over to you... Whats your TOP 10 XBOX 360 games of the past 8 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

In no particular order

Mass effect 2,
    Half Life: the orange box
    Far Cry 3
    Forza 2
    Gears of war 3
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Call of Duty: Black ops 2
    Fallout 3
    Bioshock
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

GTA V
    GTA IV
    Cod MW3
    Cod MW2
    Black Ops 1
    Forza 4
    Forza Horizon
    Colin McRae Dirt 3
    Colin McRae Dirt 2
    Race Driver Grid..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I suppose games I really enjoyed and played a lot of

Call of duty 4:Modern warfare
    Bioshock
    The Saboteur
    Operation flashpoint dragon rising
    Halo Wars
    Halo series
    Gears of War series
    Batman Arkham Asylum/City
    Red dead redemption
    Alan Wake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The worst thing about these lists is I always forget something that I see on someone elses list. Arkham Asylum and Red Dead were both phenomenal, I really enjoyed splinter cell: Conviction as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For what it's worth, here are my favourites for the last 8 years.

1. Arkham City / Arkham Asylum - Absolutely amazing games, great atmosphere, combat and brilliant story.
    2. Mass Effect 2 - The best of the trilogy. Great game, easily filled many hours with this.
    3. Bioshock - Very atmospheric, great story and wonderful gameplay.
    4. Portal / Portal 2 - Possibly the best fun playing a video game - not just the games themselves, but the script was brilliant.
    5. Burnout Paradise - One of the most fun racing games of recent years.
    6. FIFA 11 - The best of this generations Footy games.
    7. Kinect Sports 2 / Kinect Sports 1 - Simple games, but great fun with a few mates around.
    8. Battlefield Bad Company - A good shooter that stood out from the crowd by being genuinely funny.
    9. Lego Star Wars / Lego Indiana Jones - Addictive gameplay, but fun for everyone.
    10. Halo 3 / Halo 3 ODST - Great games to play, especially for co-op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not in ranked order as I change my mind too much, but favourite 10 would be something along the lines of:

Mass Effect 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTA V
    Halo 3
    Bioshock
    Alan Wake
    Portal 2
    TWD
    Amped 3 (I don't care, I've gotten ridiculous hours out of this game and come back to it all the time, I love it :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dark Souls
    Child of Eden
    GTA V
    RDR
    Fallout 3 & NV
    Deadly Premonition
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

No particular order:

Fallout 3
    Forza 4
    Battlefield 3
    Skyrim
    Saints Row 3
    Resident Evil 5
    Modern Warfare 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Portal 1 & 2
    Project Gotham 4

I suppose really these are the games I spent the most time playing and it's kind of unfair to most of their prequels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Hmmmm..... In no particular order

Mass Effect 3- Mostly because of the multiplayer.
    Halo Reach- IMO the best of the Halo games.
    RDR- Simply brilliant, loved every minute especially undead nightmare.
    Arkham City- The absolute epitome of superhero games. (Could easily sub Origins here too)
    Assassins Creed 2- Probably the best of the series.
    Gears of War 2- Improved on 1 and was slightly ahead of 3 in terms of gameplay and replayability.
    Rock Band 3- Again, this was played to death by "the band".
    L4D- i have never panicked as much in any game than when that damned horde sound goes off.
    Saints Row- As a competitor to the GTA series there is no substitute for me.
    Controversially.....
    Madden 06- Still play it, still love it, not the best NFL game but it will always be loved :)

Honourable mentions to Dead Rising, The Force Unleashed & The Guitar Hero series.

Exceptionally honourable mention for Symphony of the Night- I had never played a Castlevania game before this and it was a gateway, but i keep it off the top ten because of it being a re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Call of Duty 4: MW1
    Fallout 3
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Mass Effect 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Gears of War
    Bioshock
    Battlefield 3
    The Walking Dead

Honourable mentions: ACII, GTA IV, GTA V, Fifa 08-11, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, The Force Unleashed, Halo 3, Alan Wake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The 360 has been with us for what 8 years'ish and in that time has amounted an extensive library of titles to suit every taste out there.

Unfortunately it probably only has another year or so left in it with developers more than likely going to make their way to the Xbox One instead.

So I was just wondering as to what people's views were on their top 10 Xbox 360 games since launch. Lets be fair this is very much a personal thing. Everyone will have differing views so lets play nice guys. For example I have no interest in COD or GTA. Doesnt make them bad games just not for me.

Anyway mine are mainly based on what I've played and I'll be the first to admit I spent a lot of time online so I'm not the best person to ask as I still have heaps of backlog and others to buy in the next year but I'll give my 10 as it stands anyway if thats cool.

1. Halo 3 (Just simply brilliant)
    2. Gears of War (not going to give any particular one. Enjoyed them all)
    3. Halo 4 (As much as it did lend from COD, it still kept its Halo feel for the most part and I cant take away the fact that I have played it soooo much in the past year and still play online, one of the reasons I still have to get through such a big backlog)
    4. Condemned (brilliant survival horror action)
    5. Fable 2 (Could loose weeks to this game, no Zelda but great none the less)
    6. Bullet hell shooting, Deathsmiles in particular I loved. Akai Katana I'm still to get in to.
    7. Forza 4 (yes it could be higher on the list but I didnt play it as much as the above. Amazing racing sim)
    8. Street Fighter 4 (I'm still an old school SF2 fan but you cant deny how amazing this game is)
    9. Project Gotham Racing (Played the hell out of this when I first got the console all that time ago)
    10. Controversially I'm going to put NHL 2014 on this list. I've only got the game but it takes me back to when NHL games were fun. No messing with analogue sticks to shoot or slow build up. Just end to end madness. I can see myself loosing a lot of time to this in the coming months especially when the lads are round at xmas for drinks.

So over to you... Whats your TOP 10 XBOX 360 games of the past 8 years.

I'm sorry, I like your thread, I like your list, and I like that you like NHL, but using the option to play without the thing that makes the NHL series spectacular (unparalleled control and prescision via the analogue sticks, EA's revolutionary stick and skater control mechanism) as a reason for a great game, is totally baffling. The simplified method of play (which has been around since NHL 2011 btw) can't compare to the satisfaction of taking time to learn and master the new controls and play well with them.

I love the NHL series, it's the best sports game there is imo, but by playing with the 94 controls, you are playing a glossy version of NHL 94 and missing a truly breathtaking sports game, and by basically saying that now you don't have to use the amazing detailed controls, you can play like a Sega megadrive, as a plus point for a game, is very odd.

Just to re-iterate, I'm not hating on your opinion, but to me it seems like you have stumbled across NHL 14 and are loving it, but in its absolute minimalist form, and thats fine, but it's not a reason to tell people NHL 14 is some sort of trailblazing godsend of a game.

My list would probably be, in no order:

Red Dead Redemption
    Call of Duty 4
    GTA V
    Halo 3
    Forza 3
    Far Cry 3
    2010 FIFA World Cup (the best football game this gen imo)
    Bioshock Infinite
    Portal 2
    Mirrors Edge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks for all the replies guys some interesting choices I there too.

A couple of titles ill probably add to my backlog before next gen.

As for comment on NHL I suppose I should clarify. It's more of a general statement covering the way I think all sport games have gone. I wouldn't touch FIFA anymore either cause I think it's lost it's way trying to be too complex. I'm not sayin I won't give NHL a chance on the proper control scheme but if I find its a pain in the ass ill be goin back to the old school way. And I know this isn't just my feelings on NHL. Lots of my friends are now interested in the title due to the old controls too. But I ear what your sayin the proper controls I assume gve you a hell of a lot more if you put the time into them. It's just getting that time I suppose.

Anyway back to people's top 10's!!

Hmmm:

Dead Rising
    Fallout 3
    Alan Wake
    Silent Hill Homecoming
    Red Dead Redemption
    LA Noire
    Dead Space
    Resident Evil 5
    Alone in the Dark
    Condemned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Super Meat Boy
    Limbo
    Gears of War 2.

Rest that I liked were cross platform so not including.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

top 10 platform exclusives would've made a better list i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

COYVB wrote: »
    top 10 platform exclusives would've made a better list i reckon

Nothing stopping you starting one. :)

For me the reason I went with Xbox360 was that the exclusives were up my alley.

In particular Halo and Gears of War. Both superb franchises imo.

That said with Bungie jumping ship and going multi platform I'll probably move back to Sony as I have the Vita and like the idea of remote play.
    Destiny just looks fantastic so far. Cant wait to see more of it.

Will miss Gears though. That franchise is soooooo good.
    Will keep my 360 mainly for that reason.
    Playing Gears 3 tonight with my brother co op online actually.
    Beer plus Gears = A good night in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

In no particular order...

Deadly Premonition - crazy game. I got the director's cut on PS3, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm tempted to triple dip and get it on PC too.
    Tales of Vesperia - Put a hell of a lot of hours in to this. The demo isn't that great, really. It gets quite good a ways in to the game.
    Lost Odyssey - The story seems to go to crap very much around disc 4 IMO, but in terms of the gameplay, there is a lot of cool stuff in disc 4 so it evens out.
    Dragon Age Origins - Great game. Loved the different origin stories. Well, not so much the mage one.
    Mass Effect - I had been looking forward to this for a long time before it came out, and, while arguably not a KOTOR beater, still love it.
    BioShock - I'm typically a if I know I'll buy I don't watch videos, I don't play demos I just buy. I made an exception with BioShock and found myself replaying the demo a good few times before release.
    The Elder Scrolls Oblivion - The first game I got on the 360. It looked awesome even on a crappy TV.
    Fallout 3 - Had only played a brief bit of the first Fallout. Had a lot of fun with this. Another game you can sink in the hours.
    Metro 2033 - I didn't buy this when it was newly released. Quite a while passed. Guess I bought it on a whim. The atmosphere is top notch in the game.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution - I was tempted to put Alpha Protocol or The Walking Dead here, but I guess Human Revolution is the one I'll go with. The boss fights are the weakest part of the game, obviously, but there's a lot of fun to be had here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

In no particular order

Crackdown
    Mass Effect
    Forza 2
    Burnout Revenge
    Shadow Complex
    Oblivion
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Rainbow 6: Vegas
    Portal 2
    Dead Rising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Skyrim
    Battlefield 3
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    GTA V
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTA IV

That's all I can name of the ones I've played. Anything else would just be filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Halo 3
    Halo Reach
    Halo 4
    Bioshock
    Black Ops (original)
    Modern Warfare 2
    Resident Evil: Raccoon City (MP was criminally underrated in this one)
    La Noire
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Halo 3
    Halo Reach
    Halo 4
    Bioshock
    Black Ops (original)
    Modern Warfare 2
    Resident Evil: Raccoon City (MP was criminally underrated in this one)
    La Noire
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    So, you're a bit of a Halo fan, then :pac:

How'd you find ODST? I liked it. Thought the campaign was good fun, as were the firefights. Though the lag was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No particular order...

Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Gears of War 2
    Gears of War 3
    Halo 3
    Halo: ODST I loved Firefight mode
    Call of Duty 4
    Orange Box
    Shadow Complex Fave XBLA game
    Dead Space
    Resident Evil 5

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

In no particular order

Bioshock
    Red Dead Redemption
    R6 Vegas 2
    GTA V
    COD 4
    Far Cry 3
    Skyrim
    Dead Space
    Enslaved

The game I got the best entertainment from overall is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Best online shooter ever! BF3 was a let down (for me) after this.

Special mention to Deadly Premonition which made my brain hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I went to post a list here last week..... The Internet deleted it... I'm over that now sho here goes:

10 - Batman Arkham City : Who doesn't want to be Batman?? Took an already great debut and turned it into an amazing video game experience.
    9 - Dead Space : Would be much higher but the sequels drag it down immensely. At the time though it felt great to stumble on a sleeper hit like this.
    8 - Alan Wake : I'm a Stephen King fan and general horror fan, I was never not gonna love this. At the time it felt great to have it as an Xbox fanboy
    7 - Dead Island : Took me two years, yep two, to complete as it could be so frustrating at times, but I thoroughly enjoyable game to complete through ultimately.
    6 - Rainbow Six Vegas : First Xbox game I played, still love playing terrorist hunt every so often and to date probably the only game I never even contemplated trading in.
    5 - GTA V : OK it should be higher, but as a multi platform I'll leave it here. I don't need to harp on about this one.
    4 - Halo 4 : Played Reach only before getting this, multilayer at its best.
    3 - Dead Rising 2 : May as well be an exclusive in my book given the first and third are, I'll never understand how the nay sayers of the first one weren't converted by this far better and refined entry.
    2 - Gears Of War : After Vegas, the first title I picked up. God for the time it just looked so goddam good and has a great environment built up in the franchise.
    1 - Bioshock : The first example of a flawless game I played on 360. Fair enough, Infinite blew it outta the water, but the first game wins on nostalgia.

Special mention : COD BLOPS : First COD I played online and has spawned my current annual obsession but adding a COD game to the list feels, I dunno, dirty!

Advertisement