Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for a 3 yr old

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, we're going through the same with a four y/o. One of the most popular ones around is the Leapfrog LeapPad http://www.toys.ie/LeapFrog-LeapPad-Ultra--Green-!130453-prd.aspx Amazon would probably be the best place to source one.

We aren't getting a tablet for the reason we think our 4 y/o would find it cumbersome to operate. His hands just aren't big enough to hold it and operate it at the same time. There are some games on the mobile that he can't manage due to his fingers being too small.

So instead, we've agreed to ask Santa for Leapster GS Explorer. More suitable for younger kids, cheaper to buy and less of a catastrophe if it gets lost or breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

Your probably better just buying an ordinary tablet (not a child specific) with a decent case to protect it. I bought my 5 yr old a Nabi 2 and his older brother a nexus 7 last christmas. I now wish that I bought 2 nexus 7's instead. They will cost a bit more but will technically last for years and will receive all the latest OS updates.

Some of the kids tablets are not licensed to use the google play store and are restricted to the manufacturers online store which is normally quite limited.

A free app on the google store will restrict any apps you wish to block!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Thanks guys
    Might have a look on adverts for a 2nd hand Nexus so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I'd completely agree that you should get a good spec android tablet. The kid specific ones are renowned for lack of support and is obsolete once the next model comes out next Christmas.
    One thing to also research when choosing a tablet is which of the tough case manufacturers actually have bullet proof cases for your device. So have a look at otterbox, Griffin, gumdrop, ballistic and trident before you make your final decision.
    And a great free app for restricting What your kids can access is kiddoz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is not a parenting advice thread. Please no further posts going off topic or infractions will be dished out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Just an update in case anybody else is in the same boat.

I've bought a Nexus 7 1st gen from adverts.ie
    Now going to source one of the cases as advised here. And get the app.

Thanks everybody :)

Advertisement