Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in county Kildare

Options
  • 12-11-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Having just moved to Kildare I've noticed there's not a "Places to eat in X" thread here, in the North East forums there's one for Meath and Louth and so as someone who is interested in what new eateries await me in a new county I am hoping the people on the Kildare forum will share their experiences of places to eat in Kildare.

Basically if you've been to a restaurant, take away, chinese, cafe lately then please post your honest opinions on the food, the staff, the interior, the price and any helpful hints or tips for others thinking about eating there.

I've only been in Kildare a week so don't have anything to add yet but hopefully some people out there do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Having just moved to Kildare I've noticed there's not a "Places to eat in X" thread here, in the North East forums there's one for Meath and Louth and so as someone who is interested in what new eateries await me in a new county I am hoping the people on Kildare will share their experiences of places to eat in Kildare.

Basically if you've been to a restaurant, take away, chinese, cafe lately then please post your honest opinions on the food, the staff, the interior, the price and any helpful hints or tips for others thinking about eating there.

I've only been in Kildare a week so don't have anything to add yet but hopefully some people out there do.

I like this pub/restaurant in Milltown http://www.hangedmans.ie/

Unfortunately that's about it...I haven't found Kildare to have a lot to offer on the side of decent restaurants

The Jardin Royal in Newbridge can be a pretty nice Chinese too...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

hartes in kildare town
    sister pub to the dew drop,

Newbridge has Judge roy beans and Gourmet Burger

Naas im not familiar with but Tenors by supervalue is good too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Trax is Naas is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have to agree there, Trax is excellent.

Tenors in Naas and Avenue in Maynooth are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Perhaps the OP title should be changed to reflect Kildare County , rather than Kildare Town.

The last meal I had out was in Bistro 53 in Maynooth , I thought it was very good , the Italian dishes were proper Italian .

However it wasn't cheap !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Da VIncis in Leixlip as a place to go for a nice dinner with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Da VIncis in Leixlip as a place to go for a nice dinner with the kids.

Love that place as well. Especially the Italian potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

The Peppertree in Naas serve excellent Asian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

OP where are you based that you would be eating most often. It's awkward to get a recommendation for a restaurant in celbridge if you based in Kildare town etc.

My favourites to recommend. I enjoy decent pub food as its always a relaxed atmosphere, yet the food can be top quality.:
    Bridgewater Sallins - great menu and great food. Medium on price
    Lock 13 Sallins - decent pub food and great craft beer to enjoy with your burger. Reasonable price and good staff
    Las rada Naas. Tapas bar with great atmosphere and surrounding. Very different And good for groups. Reasonable price
    Kavanaghs upstairs Naas. Best food in Naas in my opinion. Great service and surroundings, but you pay for this.
    Maudlins Naas. Nice pub style food. Good service in a relaxed atmosphere
    Dewdrop inn Kill. Great pub food. Worth paying for.
    Hartes Kildare town. Great food, cooked well, decent staff and a nice treat for a Sunday or watching a match
    Kildare village restaurant. Not sure what its called but it has great quality food and staff .beautiful surroundings. Pricey however.
    Annamars Kildare town. Have not been here but hear only good things.
    Hanged mans in Milltown. One of the best restaurants in Kildare, beautiful food, well presented, greAt staff. Expensive but well worth it
    Avoca rathcoole. Good food cos there's loadsa calories but nice for a day time treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Love that place as well. Especially the Italian potatoes.

Too noisy when it's busy. Alvito's (same owners) is better in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Kingfisher Naas (indian)
    Butt Mullins Naas
    Fallons, Kilcullen

wheres that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

OP where are you based that you would be eating most often. It's awkward to get a recommendation for a restaurant in celbridge if you based in Kildare town etc.

I am based in Maynooth, but I don't want the thread to be specifically about Maynooth rather for the whole of county Kildare so people get to find out about different restaurants/takeaways/cafes to try out.

I recently discovered The Orchard garden centre in Celbridge too, the breakfasts are amazing!

A friend was telling me the new restaurant in Weston is amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The brown bear in two mile house is fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

VDC at the Curragh Racecourse (at Tri Equestrian) is excellent for breakfast, lunch or a cup of coffee and a cake. I've never been to the Naas branch but I've heard good things about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Fallons in Kilcullen is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've only ever heard rave reviews about Best Steakhouse and Grill in Newbridge but as I don't eat steak, I can't confirm how good it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lemongrass in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Jai pore Indian Restaurant in Newbridge. Very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Jaipore Indian Restaurant in Newbridge. Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Delhi Darbar Indian in Celbridge is amazing.
    Michelangelo's Celbridge is good value and good food but garnishing is very 1960. Just scoop it aside and you're fine.
    Stone Haven Maynooth was good once, then went a bit crap, dunno what it's like now, hope they bucked up.
    I do fancy Avenue in Maynooth. Great buzz, good food, lovely staff.
    Linden Tree Carton House Maynooth is very good too. Hope they still do the Sunday brunch buffet. amazing.
    Il Fico naas is fantastic. Tight in space but excellent food and lovely staff.
    Las Rada Tapas Naas is not bad in food but I love the atmosphere, if you're into that moorish kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

In Maynooth the recommendations I have are:

Pub Grub/Roast Dinner: Bradys Pub
    Restaurant: Avenue
    Fancy breakfast: Café Bon Bon
    Breakfast roll: The Elite
    Coffee: Boss Hoggs, now called Atlas. If I have the kid it's McDonalds or Chill.
    Sandwich: Deli in Donovans Supermarket beside Maxol cannot be beaten in Maynooth.
    Chipper: Maximus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Staplor wrote: »
    In Maynooth the recommendations I have are:

Pub Grub/Roast Dinner: Bradys Pub
    Restaurant: Avenue
    Fancy breakfast: Café Bon Bon
    Coffee: Boss Hoggs, now called Atlas. If I have the kid it's McDonalds or Chill.
    Sandwich: Deli in Donovans Supermarket beside Maxol cannot be beaten in Maynooth.
    Chipper: Maximus

Any recommendations for a Chinese?

Not in Maynooth, If I want anything more exotic than a spud I avoid Maynooth. I do not think anything of any of the Chinese restaurants or the Thai in the Glenroyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I had a great meal there not long after they opened but went back a few weeks ago and had a totally different experience. Very average now.
    Have always had a great meal in the Hanged Mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a long time Maynooth resident, I really wouldn't and not for taste reasons. Donovans all the way as a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Not in Maynooth, If I want anything more exotic than a spud I avoid Maynooth. I do not think anything of any of the Chinese restaurants or the Thai in the Glenroyal.

Surely not!?Maynooth must be the per capita cuisine capital of Ireland .L'Avenue and Bistro 53 do not do 'spuds'!!!!

Any recommendations for a Chinese?

No , you need to go to Leixlip.
    Royal City is probably the best that we have though,The Orient and Newtown Inn are inconsistent and I have had more meals that I was unhappy with from them then I was happy with.
    For Indian you need to go to Clane.
    :(

• Advertisement

ytareh wrote: »
    Surely not!?Maynooth must be the per capita cuisine capital of Ireland .L'Avenue and Bistro 53 do not do 'spuds'!!!!

I think you'll find they both do potatoes, I stand by my point though, maybe I'll clarify by saying European/western cuisine is fine int he town

Advertisement