Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in county Kildare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    For Indian you need to go to Clane.

Or Celbridge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

MYOB wrote: »
    As a long time Maynooth resident, I really wouldn't and not for taste reasons. Donovans all the way as a replacement.

DO I want to know why? I bring the kids there for their treats.
    Donovans/Nisa has a great deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where is The Elite?

Went to Chill tonight for the 10e burger and beer. Have to say the texas burger I has was very nice. Also had the maltesser cheesecake and that was delicious. Staff were attentive without being over bearing. Will be back again for sure.

Can't understand the potato in relation to Maynooth. Picaderros is most definitely not a potato place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Picaderros is most definitely not a potato place at all.

Fantastic patatas bravas though :pac:

MYOB wrote: »
    Fantastic patatas bravas though :pac:

Not your standard 'pud' though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 whodini

Would recommend Hanged Man's for excellence in food and an all round great cosy night out. Trax in Naas is pretty good and nicely lit and spaced. I have to agree with a PP regarding Peppertree in Naas. Started off great but majorly disimproved of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

For Chinese I think Victoria gardens in Johnstown is excellent

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Where is The Elite?

Went to Chill tonight for the 10e burger and beer. Have to say the texas burger I has was very nice. Also had the maltesser cheesecake and that was delicious. Staff were attentive without being over bearing. Will be back again for sure.

Can't understand the potato in relation to Maynooth. Picaderros is most definitely not a potato place at all.

On the main street beside Mc Mahons. It is the bakery.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    On the main street beside Mc Mahons. It is the bakery.

You would think I would have known the name of that place after 6/7years living here!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Fallon's in Kilcullen, Hartes in Kildare Town and The Elite in Maynooth for a bun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Fallons in Kilcullen is excellent for a nice meal. Their outdoor area is lovely too for a cosy drink under a heater, very private and relaxing.

Bardons in Kilcullen have a good pub grub menu, and their service has improved recently (for a while there is was a bit hit and miss depending on who your server was, food was always good though).

The Hideout has reopened under new management, now called Joeys, it has been done up and is a hundred times better than it was. It's fresh, clean and has new people behind the bar. They have a new menu and the food is good and reasonably priced, as is their wine. It has been very quiet the last few times I went up, but I hope that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Hopefully not too off topic but there's a menupages deal at the moment for Da Mario in Celbridge if anyone's interested. I haven't tried it before but will be with this offer.

http://deals.menupages.ie/da-mario-celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Rathkenny wrote: »
    Hopefully not too off topic but there's a menupages deal at the moment for Da Mario in Celbridge if anyone's interested. I haven't tried it before but will be with this offer.

http://deals.menupages.ie/da-mario-celbridge

Valid for Jan/Feb/Mar 2014 on the voucher according to the small print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    For Chinese I think Victoria gardens in Johnstown is excellent

Up until last week I would have agreed with you, but we went there and it was terrible tbh.

Starters were meh, and the starters plates sat on table for approx half an hour after we had ate them. 2 kids with us under 3, their meals had been eaten at this stage.

Went up to manager to ask what the hold up was, only one other table of dinners in the restaurant Who came in after us, yet seemed to be getting mains before us :confused:

Mains came, wifes dish covered in mushrooms despite specifically requesting none on several occasions. Cue them takung her meal back and re doing it. I ate alone, her too when meal finally arrives.

Expensive too. And they give me 10%off total bill for inconvenience :rolleyes: I won't be back. Ever.

My recommendation Fwiw, Swapna in Naas. Prob the tastiest Indian food in Leinster. Great value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

The Victoria in Johnstown used to be my favourite chinese, probably still is but just a pity it's gone down hill a good bit in recent years. Food has gone fairly greasy.

Definitely recommened the Dewdrop. Steak on the stone.

Judge Roy Beans in Newbridge is good also.

New Dragonboat in Kilcock.

Thanks for the suggestions,after reading this we decided to try out the Dewdrop Inn and it really was fantastic.

I have eaten in Mc Mahons in Maynooth twice recently and I have been very impressed.
    The service is excellent even when it is busy,the staff are lovely and the food has been very good.
    There is a good choice of food for kids too and they di baby bowls for the babies.
    I think it was 17.95 for a 3 course meal so very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

Was in Lock 13 in Sallins this week.
    Food was excellent as was the warmth and comfort of the dining area.
    Nicely decorated for christmas too.

JuJu in Johnstown is top class, especially the cajun chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I will add to this

Le Bistro in Newbridge is excellent with former chef from tenors in Naas. Nice for a meal in the evening.

Judge Roy Beans in Newbridge is hard to beat for value for money. If you have kids this is a winner.

Dew Drop Inn in Kill is our favorite for quick snack and Sunday lunch. Consistently good food.

Lock 13 in Sallins is very nice. Athmosphere is lovely. Parking in Sallins is a pig so we avoid for this reason only. A walk along the canel on the other side of the bridge afterwards is nice if the weather is good.

Swapna Indian in Naas is very nice and worth a visit if you like Indian food.

Jaipore in Newbridge has good indian food and we often get a takeaway which is always good.

Zen Thai in Newbridge for Chinese food is one of the better ones if you fancy a Chinese. Sitdown or takeaway has never been a bad experience. Really good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Fwiw i recommend Lemongrass Naas, Fallons Kilcullen, juju Johnstown, vie de chateaux Naas (my favourite), tapas place maynooth.

Wouldn't go ever again to jolly Naas (desperate service, bad food) mascaf Naas (terrible all around) butt Mullins Naas (food not great for price) lock 13 Sallins ( food was crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Feedback...over the holidays

Swampa: Had a meal with kids, unfortunately wasnt the best. They are usually very nice. Hope it was a once off

Ballymore Inn: present for Parents. Always a nice setting and the food was good (but not mind blowing). Went as we knew it was a banker. Bit over priced for what you actually get. Only for special visits really

Dew Drop: 1st time, and very impressed with venue, service and food. The steaks were nice, but the real surprise was the value for money on the kids menus/food. It was great & so was their food. We'll be going back again when we have a need.

PS: Il Fico: Extremely disappointed with this place. Only went for convenience, food just terrible. The kids pizza looked OK and its the only reason I'll be setting foot in there again is to try a pizza.

W.

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Fwiw i recommend Lemongrass Naas, Fallons Kilcullen, juju Johnstown, vie de chateaux Naas (my favourite), tapas place maynooth.

Wouldn't go ever again to jolly Naas (desperate service, bad food) mascaf Naas (terrible all around) butt Mullins Naas (food not great for price) lock 13 Sallins ( food was crap)

Fallon's is a nice old spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Been in Maynooth over a year now and I've only been to Avenue cafe! It was very nice though, everything we got there was tasty, the service was great and the price ended up being very reasonable even with a few drinks.

Been in Maynooth over a year now and I've only been to Avenue cafe! It was very nice though, everything we got there was tasty, the service was great and the price ended up being very reasonable even with a few drinks.

Their lunch offer is brilliant and worth a visit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

With Le Bistro gone and now Bistro Nua in its place i could not recommend it enough. They have Tapas on Wed/Thursday nights and a lovely selection on the menu

www.facebook.com/BistroNuaNewbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Visited Lock13 in Sallins for the first time last week and I would recommend it for a relaxed fun meal with friends.

They have a wide variety of craft beers which the lads all went through using a Taster Menu option which I think was €18 for 4 different beers. I had Hendricks Gin served beautifully with some cucumber, but they also had other niche gins, whiskey and vodkas for sale.

The service was good, the menu small but all of a very high gastro-pub standard and the atmosphere was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Went to Lemongrass Naas yesterday, very nice, little pricey for Sunday lunch, €20 for 2 courses
    I still rate Trax as the best in Naas...find it hard to be beaten
    Also Juju in Johnstown is also a regular visit for us
    Looking for another option and thinking Lock 13 in Sallins. heard a lot of good things about it...where exactly is it located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Lock 13 is the clane side of the canal alongside banks of the canal.

Coming from clane on top of the bridge turn down left and it's right there. Fantastic spot, it's my favourite in Kildare.

I want that place to be my local, it's just too far from Maynooth to be considered local though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Went to trax twice recently and was very impressed with the food and service. was organising for a group and they were very accomodating. The teryaki chicken and the steak is amazing.

Was at the new Las Radas venue over Christmas and it was just gorgeous. Much better location than before - lots more space. Some lovely new additions to the menus i am drooling thinking of the ham and cheese croquettes.

dew drop inn is always great food however they took my favourite coca cola chicken wings off the menu and im devastated!

Have never had a bad meal or experience from victoria garden but I order take away rather than eat in so can only speak from takeaway experience. Always good food in my experience.

Advertisement