Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Primary Teaching .... What to do?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi :)
    So basicly I have an honours arts degree but really want to do primary teaching. I don't have the c3 in irish but I am currently studying it in a grind school and will sit it in the leaving cert in June 2014.

I was considering doing the postgrad in the uk as it is only a year but with the change to ECTs here in Ireland I find myself changing my mind (I want to just be finished when I complete the postgrad and to not have to complete extra modules.)

I would study with Hibernia but my preference in Ireland would be to complete the course in one of the Universities. It was announced today that there will be one final 18month course beginning in feb and from sep14 on it will be a 2 year course.

I wonder will the 2year course commence Sept 14 or the following year Sept 15??

Is anyone else considering going to the uk in sept 2014?

For those that have completed hibernia , would you recommend it?

I am also aware that there is not a lot of jobs out there for teachers but it is something I really want to do

:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭KABLOOEY

I just came on here to post a similiar thread! Like you I haven't the Irish qualification but I didn't consider doing it through the LC. Is that the only way to do it? Say if you got the degree in England or is there an alternative test one can sit? Could you give me an overview of the ECTs too? I'm pretty clueless on all of this - I only decided recently to go down this path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Howyaaaaa7 wrote: »

Thanks

From what i read (a while ago), there is one starting in Sept 14 but it's only commissioned very close to the date (Feb 14 is only commissioned now). I am open to correction here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiseB900

Howyaaaaa7 wrote: »
    Hi :)
    So basicly I have an honours arts degree but really want to do primary teaching. I don't have the c3 in irish but I am currently studying it in a grind school and will sit it in the leaving cert in June 2014.

I was considering doing the postgrad in the uk as it is only a year but with the change to ECTs here in Ireland I find myself changing my mind (I want to just be finished when I complete the postgrad and to not have to complete extra modules.)

I would study with Hibernia but my preference in Ireland would be to complete the course in one of the Universities. It was announced today that there will be one final 18month course beginning in feb and from sep14 on it will be a 2 year course.

Is anyone else considering going to the uk in sept 2014?

For those that have completed hibernia , would you recommend it?

I am also aware that there is not a lot of jobs out there for teachers but it is something I really want to do

:)

Thanks
    Hi am in the same suitation as yourself. I am currently repeating my Irish and I hope to sit it aswel in June 2014. I was thinking hibernia or Maynooth but I don't know much about them at all. Will we be able to apply for the sept enrolement in these colleges considering the leaving cert results don't come out till the mid of august or would be have to wait till feb????

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banc

I am in a smiliar situations to all the rest of you. I have a B2 higher level irish from Leaving Cert alright but just trying to decide which path to take. I know the postgrad starts in January and the closing date was December, but I wasnt prepared especially for the irish interview at this stage. So the other options are Hibernia or the UK route. I wouldnt mind going to the UK and coming back to do the irish exam however, can anyone tell me how this qualification is recognised by principals and boards of management when they are going through cv after cv? Also would anybody who has done the UK route be able to identify what universities would be the best to do the postgrad course??

In terms of Hibernia, while this is a viable option, in MY opinion Im not sure if this degree stands out from those of a main stream university? I am happy to be open to correction on this however. Could anybody who has taken the Hibernia route vouch for it and what was their experience like?

Also is there any information available for this course in Sept 2014? Is it a Masters course or what way is it structured? Is it for those that only took primary teaching at an undergrad level? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry to bump this thread, no point in starting a new one. Primary teaching is now something I am also considering, I know I have missed the application for this September but I wouldn't mind taking a year out and then applying for September '15. Is it just a matter of applying for a postgrad in Primary Education in one of the teaching colleges? I'm a fluent Irish speaker so the Irish isn't an issue. It just seems too straightforward.. I would have thought it was a lot tougher to apply? I know there is no guarantee I will get accepted as places are very limited, but is there anything I am missing out on or am I okay to apply once I have the level 8 degree and meet the requirements in Irish (think there are some for English and Maths too maybe?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Sorry to bump this thread, no point in starting a new one. Primary teaching is now something I am also considering, I know I have missed the application for this September but I wouldn't mind taking a year out and then applying for September '15. Is it just a matter of applying for a postgrad in Primary Education in one of the teaching colleges? I'm a fluent Irish speaker so the Irish isn't an issue. It just seems too straightforward.. I would have thought it was a lot tougher to apply? I know there is no guarantee I will get accepted as places are very limited, but is there anything I am missing out on or am I okay to apply once I have the level 8 degree and meet the requirements in Irish (think there are some for English and Maths too maybe?).

Pretty much! All you'll have to do is a good interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Howyaaaaa7

I don't think any details have been released for postgraduate teaching courses starting in sept? Unless I'm wrong and someone has heard? So you still are probably able to apply for sept if that is when the 2year course will commence. Hopefully someone can clear this up??

Advertisement