Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cup printing idea: Looking for advice|where to buy stock|where to print

Options
  • 12-11-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for some time now; there's some great stuff here - I have been really impressed with how helpful people are, regardless of people's experience, so I'd be very keen to get some advice/feedback on my own plans.

I have been looking to create a small scale operation which would entail selling custom printed cups, mugs and glassware. They would be cheap novelty items with a high markup; the cups and glasses will be of basic quality and will have a variety of decals/images applied to them.

If viable, I would like to explore the possibility of a customer making a one off purchase of a glass or mug which can be printed with images/designs specific to their personal requirements.

At the moment I'm trying to establish my options and how best to start.

I would be interested in partnering/utilising the services of a printing company which would be able to print basic images/designs on the cups. I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Further to the above: Are there companies/businesses which would allow me to supply the materials(mugs/cups) and specify the required image/decal to be applied? If so, where/how would I go about sourcing the mugs and glasses? Should these be imported in bulk or can they be sourced locally?

Do I need a separate company to do the printing if I can source the mugs/cups? Do you know what tools/equipment would be required if I was to print and apply the decals/designs myself? I would prefer this route, however I assume the costs involved would be significant, considering this is to be a small scale venture.

Are there 3rd parties who would be able to take a bulk order and supply the cups/glasses in addition to the printing?

I imagine there are options online that will print and supply the cups as per requirements. I have had a search, but I haven't found anything catered towards bulk ordering/stocking and onward selling.

If any of you have any thoughts/advice I'd be so grateful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

anonimity wrote: »
    They would be cheap novelty items with a high markup;.

If you're buying the mugs and someone else is doing the printing and you want them to be cheap then throw in delivery... I cant see a high margin here. You'd want to be doing the printing at least, this is where the value add is. Too many in this chain needing a cut to make money on a "cheap novelty" item. Look at what type of printer/heat press and software is required. Buy or lease it buy blank mugs apply the prints .... bigger margin. You would still need high volume even printing yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

I wouldn't be competing with them, no. The viability of the idea and potential for the product will depend on what's printed on it - phrase/joke/niche design... you get the idea.

betonit wrote: »
    If you're buying the mugs and someone else is doing the printing and you want them to be cheap then throw in delivery... I cant see a high margin here. You'd want to be doing the printing at least, this is where the value add is. Too many in this chain needing a cut to make money on a "cheap novelty" item. Look at what type of printer/heat press and software is required. Buy or lease it buy blank mugs apply the prints .... bigger margin. You would still need high volume even printing yourself

Thanks for the advice Betonit. I figured that might be the case - if anyone has any experience/knowledge on options as far as printers go please let me know :)

anonimity wrote: »
    I wouldn't be competing with them, no. The viability of the idea and potential for the product will depend on what's printed on it - phrase/joke/niche design... you get the idea.

Sorry, I don't get the idea at all..... Is there some USP that I am missing?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't get the idea at all..... Is there some USP that I am missing?

Yes, there is a USP. I appreciate the input, but I'm not trying to sell/explain the idea here. I'm just looking for options/advice on the best places to source materials/carry out the printing.

My mistake. It has to be China for china mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there is only a small capital investment to set up to print mugs etc as dye sub

BUT

they dont last that long, dish washing etc will kill them in a short time

the skill is the knowledge in doing it etc

depends on the market is dye sub is the way to go but could setup for around 2k to do it

if you know what your doing

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Here's what a quick google threw up,

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/custom-printed-coffee-mugs.html

I've only looked at the first page but if you want to order in bulk it might be worth contacting the companies direct. If it's a faster more personalised service with small quantities google print suppliers for ceramics and see if any irish companies offer the service wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Philip.Byrne

I know a guy who got them from Hugh Jordan in Dublin. They supplied the cups and sorted the printing out as well for an additional cost. That was more aimed towards the catering industry though so not sure if this applies...

• Advertisement
Advertisement