Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Furnish or not to Furnish that is the question ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any information to back up that opinion?

If I had links to reliable statistics, I would have provided them. Becasue I don't, I said "IMHO" at the start of my post. :rolleyes:

The only source I have for my opinion is my observations, and recommendations from the professional property managers who I use to look after a house overseas.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I would personally love to rent a semi-unfurnished house (don't want to be schlepping around white goods).

In my current place I was lucky to find a landlord who was willing to remove a couple of beds, as I find the idea of used mattresses a bit icky but each to their own.

Most of the standard of furniture in Irish rentals is very poor, if we want a mature rental market, not just one that people in their 20's use while saving up a deposit, there needs to be more unfurnished accommodation on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

who_ru wrote: »
    why would an unfurnished property rent at the same price as a furnished property?

oh forget this is ireland.

Because the quality of furniture in Irish furnished rentals is usually abysmal. Many people would rather buy their own in prep for eventual home ownership.

Also, a rental is much more your home with your own furniture. The expectation of furnished rentals is more for those who see it as a short term situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think most people expect rental unit to be furnished,
    its not as if i get a discount for bringing in my own furniture.
    there may be a small amount of people who have there own furniture.
    who moves frequently, and carrys around 3 beds ,tables ,chairs etc?

riclad wrote: »

The point would be that these are the sort of people who DON'T move frequently. A landlord looking for a stable long term tenant would do well to rent unfurnished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They might not want 3 beds. they might want one bed a cot and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I think the point is - there are people who don't move frequently who have furniture. A lot of people past the recent grad phase will have some furniture. People who don't have permanent jobs might for example want the flexiblity of being able to move at relatively short notice to a new city for a new job and not have to get used to what is typically sub-par furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I think I will put it up unfurnished with option to furnish if need be . Cover all sides

What sort of property is it and what is your target market?

If it's a family house then I would suggest unfurnished only.

I suppose some of these expectations are cultural - you seem to expect that people who rent will be very young, move frequently, and can't afford their own furniture. Having lived in the US for a long time, I have no such expectations, and know people who have rented their house or apartment for many years, and it is customary for only a fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave to be supplied. Nobody wants someone else's crappy furniture, and furnished apartments would be scarce and generally be at the lower end of the market.

I believe the renting demographic is changing rapidly in Ireland, and the landlord who rents unfurnished is likely to find a much longer term tenant. Much depends on the neighborhood - a property on the lower end of the scale will probably need to be rented furnished in Ireland still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I own a house but had to move, so rent another. There is no way, after having lived in my own place, that I am going to go back to living with someone else's furniture. So I've rented unfurnished, and would imagine that it would be the preference for most others in my situation too

• Advertisement
Advertisement