Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the big numbers....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Roling / mobility

Squats
    bar x 10
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 4
    90kg 3 x 8
    60kg 1 x10

Straight leg deadlifts
    60kg 3 x10

chin ups
    7,4,4,4,4,3,3,1,1,1 (or something like that, wasnt feeling these today )

Plank
    45sec x2
    1min x 1

Decent session over all squats were ok , hard enough by last set.chin ups I just wasnt feeling today, expected to get 10 easy on first set but had to fight for 7, Was drinking last night so that probably caused it)

Video of last set of squats to fellow , once i get it up

last set of 90 x 8

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

Pretty sure you did nine there, sack the camera man!

Some pvc pipe rolling

Overhead press
    20kg x 10
    42.5kg 3 x 6 - - last rep on last set was a push press

Dips

Tri push Downs (rope)
    30kg 3x10

Face pulls
    15kg 2x15

Warm up stuff

Deadlifting
    60kg x 8
    100kg x 3

130kg 6x3 -- was meant to be pulling 125 but was training in mates gym. The place is in the process of opening up and all plates hadn't been delivered yet so there was no 2.5's. 130 felt ok

walking lunges
    20kg 25meters x 3

Chins

Last set of deadlifts

• Advertisement

tried this defranco upper body warm up today, did the job, Just some specific rollling and pec / shoulder stretches

Bench
    bar x a load
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 3
    75kg 1x7,1x6,1x8 --was meant to be 3x6 but meh

60kg x 12

D.B. Incline bench
    22.5 2x8,1x6

Tri push down
    30kg 3x10

Facepulls
    20kg 3x15

ab wheel roll outs
    3x10

Good session bench strength going up nicely, have more in the tank.

I'm about 7 weeks back training now and have been eating clean 90% of the time (even over xmas, not one chocolate bar was had), Seeing some good results, shoulders/chest/back have defiantly packed on a bit of muscle all while keeping the abs visible! Thank fully tomorrows a rest day because i plan on getting Hammered this evening :pac:

Mobility / Foam rolling

Squats
    bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5

92.5kg 3x8

60kg x 10

Glute ham raise
    3x8

Short session left it at that for today.
    Holy crap that was my first time ever using a proper glute ham raise machine, ive tried them before with feet hooked under things but there's no comparison, Could barley stand after first set. I'm expecting some serious doms tomorrow from them.

Warm up / mobility

Overhead press
    bar x 10
    30kg x 4

42.5 3x6

Dips

Green band tricep push down
    3x10

Prowler sprints
    empty prowler x 30 meters x 2

60kg on prowler x 30 meters x 6

60 sec rest between sprints, it was 15 meters up and down. 15 meters hands on pillars, then back up on highest of low bars on other end.

Plank
    45sec x 3

First time on prowler, was fecked after, enjoyed it though , will be back in dublin working out from monday pity normal gym doesn't have one. Back to only having one power rack in the gym too :(

Last set of presses... from an ungodly angle

Went to the gym today with the intention of just doing some mobility and foam rolling but couldn't resist the urge to do a bit once I was there.

Loads of foam rolling and mobility.

Prowler sprints
    60kg - 30 meter sprints x 6 - 45 sec rest

Loads rolling and mobility

Prowler sprints
    60kg - 30 meter sprints x 6 - 45 sec rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

You need to get your elbows in front of the bar on the OHP,man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I miss training in the Warehouse :(

Cheers Rough Sleeper, I'll keep it in mind next time im pressing !

Warehouse gym is epic, if im in galway for the summer months ill be joining there.

mobilitystuff

Deadlifting
    60kg x 10
    100kg x 4

135kg 4x3,1x2
    130kg 1x3

Blah ... grip was a limiting factor here, so annoying i had the strength in my legs/back, but the bar was just not staying in my hands by 5th set, dropped to 130 for last set and just about got 3 with grip, Though gym had straps but couldn't find them. Might have to get a pair to use on last sets of deadlifts. I'm gonna have to start incorporating some grip work as well.

Chin ups
    BW + 8kg 3x5
    BW x 6

D.B. Lunges
    22.5kg 3x14

Forearms were about to explode by end of the session still in bits left one particularly, ill see if i can loosen it out with lacrosse ball in a bit.

Have a vid of the last set a deadlifts ill throw it up later when get chance

was actually 2 reps of 130 not 3, grip really let me down today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Props for putting up the vid with a failed rep dude!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Surprised you failed the 3rd. 1st looked like it came up easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Next time try the mixed grip on your top set from the start. It was probably too late to be switching when the grip went after the 2nd rep on that set.

Well it did come up easy it just wouldn't stay in my hands thats way droped, alf i was using a mixed grip from the start what you see in the vid when it looks like im changing hand position is just me alternating the mix grip thought might make a difference.

Rolling and mobility

Bench
    Bar x 15
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5

77.5kg 3x6

D. B. incline bench
    22.5 kg 3x6

Tri push Downs
    L8 3 x 10

Snap retraction x 3
    Y raise x 3
    T raise x 3
    W raise x 3
    L raise x 3

3 rounds of above done with 2.5 plate

Rear delt raise
    2.5 2x12

Plank
    3x45sec

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Get chalk if you don't have it. Makes a massive difference in grip (for me anyway).

• Advertisement

Got some sort of vomiting bug yesterday after training, started feeling sick after second meal post training, then i was puking like mad and extreme stomach pain for the next few hours, pretty much completely fine again today though, might have been food poising i cooked some steak burgers on a george foreman that was in dire need of a clean. should be ok to train tomorrow, today was a restday anyway, just trying to regain all those kcal i lost!

Thankfully that sickness was only a 12 hour thing, and thankfully it hit me on a rest day! very considerate all together.

Felt good today didnt do a whole lot though

Mobility

Squats
    bar x load
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 2

95kg 3x8

60kg 1x12

Straight leg deadlifts
    70kg 3x8

Squats felt strong, after the last set i realized I've been squatting with my thumb around the bar for the last few weeks, This isnt something i would do previously i would normally have it over the bar just wasn't thinking.

Also for the last few weeks ive had a lot of tightness in left forearm. I think it might be linked to that. I know rippetoe has a video where he explains how thumb around the bar on squats will put your wrist in a compromised position and allow some of the force to travel down your forarms and be absorbed by the muscle causing problems.

and here's a shameless gym selfie,hopefully this will give me a bit of accountability ill take another in few months.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Squats felt strong, after the last set i realized I've been squatting with my thumb around the bar for the last few weeks, This isnt something i would do previously i would normally have it over the bar just wasn't thinking.

Also for the last few weeks ive had a lot of tightness in left forearm. I think it might be linked to that. I know rippetoe has a video where he explains how thumb around the bar on squats will put your wrist in a compromised position and allow some of the force to travel down your forarms and be absorbed by the muscle causing problems.

It can depend on bar position and wrist flexibility as well though.

Rolling / mobility

Scap retractions
    Y
    T
    W
    L
    L + rotation
    Scarecrow
    rear fly

once through the above with a 2.5 plate on a incline bench. 3 reps of each.

Overhead press
    bar x 10
    30 x 3
    37.5 x 2

45kg 3 x 6 -very last rep was push press

Chin up
    B.W. + 8kg 3x6
    B.W. x 5

Dips
    B.W. 15,10,10

Tri push down
    L8 1x10
    L7 2x10

Plank
    45sec x 2

Last set of overhead presses, last rep is a push press. looking at vid prob gave it a bit much on the leg drive.

Foam roller / mobility

Deadlift
    60kg x 10
    100kg x 5

135kg 6 x 3

Chin ups
    B.W. + 8kg 3x6
    B.W x4

D.B. Lunges
    22.5 3x14

Band pull-aparts
    3x20

ab roll out
    2x10

reverse crunch
    2x20

Pulled 135 again this week seen as my grip forced me down to 130 by the end of last weeks workout wanted to get 6 sets of 135 before moving on.
    Didnt get a chance to get any chalk or straps since last week grip was a issue again but managed all reps just about. All though i felt by last rep or two i was focusing so much on bar not beeing ripped outta my fingers i was losing technique slightly in other places even though i had strength to do it. Will be attacking 140 with chalk next week.

New years resulutioners were out in force in gym today, i was there at 11.30 the whole time i was doing my deads there was just me and one other guy there by the time i was wrapping up there must have been 30 people in the weights area. I'll have to keep working out early this month if i want any hope of not waiting around for someone to finish curling in the squat rack :pac:

Last set of 135, i get two reps, then 2 failed reps just because of grip, then finally get the 3rd near the end of video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Is grip the real issue or is it strength? Sorry to sound prickish:P

Honestly im sure its grip, on the failed attempts only reason i failed was because i knew i couldnt keep it in my hands, i defo had leg/back strength for it, i have zero doubts i can pull 140 6x3 next week if i use straps or possibly chalk. I also dont wanna be relying on straps either, ill try get some this week and just use them for last set when grip is failing.

Straps will do but it might help to work on strengthening your grip.

• Advertisement

Rolling / mobility

Bench
    bar x 20
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5

80kg 3x6

60kg x 8

D.B. incline bench
    22.5kg 1x8,2x6

Tri Rope Pushdown
    L8 3x10

Band pull apart
    3x20

load of stretching.

Bench was tough, really had to grind out the reps on last set.

Advertisement